News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

I'm now remembering the frustration when 3/4 of team goes one way then is shocked when base is lost because no one is covering the other flank :frusty:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on March 03, 2012, 06:18:31 PM
I'm now remembering the frustration when 3/4 of team goes one way then is shocked when base is lost because no one is covering the other flank :frusty:

Oh yeah. And they usually just stop mid-way and camp on that single flank :bleeding:

Berkut

I've been focusing on doing counter-battery fire with my artillery lately. The howls of anger and accusations of cheating are very sweet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Just had a match in my T29 where I took 51 hits and was NOT Steel Wall.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2012, 11:21:10 AM
Were you hull down?

Iormlund

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on March 04, 2012, 11:57:29 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2012, 11:21:10 AM
Were you hull down?

At times...

0 rows returned

DGuller

Does anyone know if there are ever any tank sales for higher tiers?  I've cleared out thee tier VII tanks this weekend, and about to clear the T-43.  I wonder whether it's worth waiting for a sale on the tier VIII tanks.

Iormlund

I can recall half-price specials for Tigers, IS (got mine in one) and now AMX 13t-90mm. Can't remember ever seeing one above tier VII.

C.C.R.

OMFG I am in a blind rage right now because I've been teamed up with the most incredible bunch of fucking halfwits for like eleven games straight.  I mean, I suck & all, but not even *I* am incompetent enough to completely blame this hellacious losing streak on...

<_<

DGuller

Finally got a Top Gun in an arty, in M41.  Killed 7 and wounded another two, from a total of 3 direct hits.  :lol:  Berkut was right, arty really gets going in mid tiers.

Berkut

So, I just had another great game in my SU-85, and I think it might be the most successful vehicle I've ever used. Then I realized that I've played all 3 T5 TDs to elite, and thought I would compare my results with them.

First was the StugIII. I very much recall liking this vehicle a lot.

Characteristics

Stug III (elite)
Armor: 80/30/30, good sloping
Mobility: 40 km/h, 22.52 hp/ton
Gun: 75L70, 138 pen, 135 dam, 0.29 acc, 15.38 ROF

M10 Wolverine
Armor: 51/19/25, 51/25/25 turreted, good slope
Mobility: 48 km/h, 15.09 hp/ton
Gun: 76L48, 128pen, 115 dam, 0.33 acc

SU-85
Armor: 45/45/40
Mobility: 55mkh, 16.45 hp/ton
Gun:107mm 167pen, 300dam

So what sticks out here is that the Stug has great frontal armor for its tier, and excellent mobility.
The M10 is the odd duck, in that it is a turreted TD.
And the SU-85 has an ungodly gun.

My general impressions where that the Stug was a great little TD< very well balanced for its tier.
The M10 was weird - certainly could be effective when used properly, with a awesome ROF, but overall the gun was just not powerful enough to make up for the weak armor and very average mobility.
The SU-85 doesn't have the armor of the Stug, but its armor is adequate. It doesn't have the mobility of the Stug, but it is certainly very fast, and does not at all feel sluggish.

And the gun on the SU-85 is just ridiculous. Mostly because of the damage - you get into a fight where there are a bunch of T3-5 tanks, and you are one-shotting stuff left and right. It isn't nearly as accurate as the long 75 on the Stug, and doesn't have the ROF of the M10, but still outperforms both of them very handily.

So, what are my won stats with each tank? Do my results bear out my perceptions? Of course, there is some bias here since I am likely a better player now than I was when I was playing the Stug, but lets take a look anyway

Tank#Battles FoughtKillsKills/BattleDamageDamage/battle
StugIII95580.6132524342
M10114670.5939523347
SU-8557751.3234321602

0 rows returned

Berkut

Now, I imagine some of that difference is that I am a better player now, but even at that, the SU-85 is a beast compared to its counterparts.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Better skill is definitely a part of it.  Playing a Russian TD well requires a good understanding of certain game mechanics, like how to shoot without getting spotted or turning yourself into a target in general.  It's one of the most difficult skills to acquire, but once you do, you can really exploit to shit the advantages of the Russian TD line.

Berkut

The SU-100 looks very pedestrian compared to the -85.

0 rows returned