News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Different tanks suit different playstyles. I generally do very well in the TDs but in many heavies I drop to the 45-48% victory range. The KV-3 for instance is a tank that I can't quite get to work for me. It's a bouncing machine despite its boxy looks (bouncing a shot from a tier 8 gun fired into your flank is just disgusting) but I simply can't get the cannon/speed to work for me.

Berkut

It's kind of odd, actually.

The only thing I ahve left to upgrade on the E-50 is the engine. Which means that the only thing I have to upgrade on the entire German medium line is that engine.

I am a little worried that once I upgrade the engine, I won't feel the same incentive to play the E-50, since there isn't that MMOlike "get the next thing" crack addiction going anymore, and I really like playing the E-50.

I realize how little that makes sense, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Iormlund

Quote from: Slargos on October 19, 2011, 08:47:46 AM
Different tanks suit different playstyles. I generally do very well in the TDs but in many heavies I drop to the 45-48% victory range. The KV-3 for instance is a tank that I can't quite get to work for me. It's a bouncing machine despite its boxy looks (bouncing a shot from a tier 8 gun fired into your flank is just disgusting) but I simply can't get the cannon/speed to work for me.

That's weird, I don't bounce shots on other KV-3s except from the front.

Anyway, I played over 100 battles with the KV-3 this last weekend for the event and the results are completely inconclusive. The first day was very good, climbing to a 53% victory rating. The second day, I went down to 45% and fell below 1 kill per match despite similar hit ratio.

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2011, 11:04:15 AM

The only thing I ahve left to upgrade on the E-50 is the engine. Which means that the only thing I have to upgrade on the entire German medium line is that engine.

I am a little worried that once I upgrade the engine, I won't feel the same incentive to play the E-50, since there isn't that MMOlike "get the next thing" crack addiction going anymore, and I really like playing the E-50.

I was worried about that with the GW Panther, but it's such a great SPG and the GW Tiger is so dreadfully dull that it hasn't been a problem.  Sure, I play it slightly less but it's still a lot of fun when I do.  I get the "grind for things" pressure from my other tanks and have no intention of selling the Panther.

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2011, 11:04:15 AM

Makes perfect sense. You'ver played hundreds of hours pushing for the next upgrade and the next tank adn suddenlhy you have no objectives.

I've started playing mostly daily double with the JagdPanther and Ferdinand saving XP for the new TD tree, and keeping the grinding for the E-100 and the IS-4 (which I hope to get before the USSR upgrade for a free tier 10 tank). My goal now isn't maximizing XP however, but rather victory % and number of kills. Hence, I will no longer go for the targets I know will yield the most, but rather the ones that will in order of importance 1. ensure victory and 2. increase my kill/match count.

DGuller

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do when I finally reach the end of the tree.  So far I have never played a tank after I elited it, there was always a better tank to play.  Will I happily blast away the noobs when I get IS-7, or will I never bother to play it?  My guess is the latter is what's going to happen.

Berkut

My first match with the VK2801 and the 105mm howitzer on it.

Oh man, I like this tank. I like it a lot.

Fast, decent armor, I can hurt Tigers and such, and I can hammer anything T5 and below.

0 rows returned

DGuller

It has a 105 howitzer?  I loved that howitzer on the Panzer IV.  Light tank with a howitzer sounds like a very deadly combination.

Tamas

I like the 105mm even on the M4.

Best is when a couple of tiers higher tank encounters me and a heavy buddy of mine and he clearly thinks "okay I can one-shot the Sherman any time, whatever", then I shoot his side and go:

Altough the best such moment so far was in my trollcannoned KV, in the mini-canyon of Abbey. I was very low tiered and there was a slugfest of scary heavies beside me, and one of these damaged big guys, a Tiger 2 or IS-3 I think, advanced agressively, and just passed me on, ignoring me completely, going for a point blank on the scarier tanks. So I turn after him, shoot him in the ass with my beloved 152mm, and... see above picture :D

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2011, 10:10:42 AM
My first match with the VK2801 and the 105mm howitzer on it.

Oh man, I like this tank. I like it a lot.

Fast, decent armor, I can hurt Tigers and such, and I can hammer anything T5 and below.

I'd love to drive that one, but 56k EXP to get there? Jesus fucking Christ.

Berkut

Meh, I just played my Leopard once or twice a day for a few weeks. The 5x XP weekend helped a lot.

0 rows returned

Tamas

You know you were in a shitty team when you score 9 kills with your Marder II and still get a defeat.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2011, 03:28:27 PM
You know you were in a shitty team when you score 9 kills with your Marder II and still get a defeat.
I've had those kinds of battles a couple of times.  The most annoying part about them is that it takes forever to get rid of the blue font on your name afterwards.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on October 21, 2011, 03:40:14 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2011, 03:28:27 PM
I've had those kinds of battles a couple of times.  The most annoying part about them is that it takes forever to get rid of the blue font on your name afterwards.

:lol:

No, sir, I was killing off the enemy team. I was DEATH INCARNATE.

Berkut

Speaking of death incarnate....

0 rows returned