News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on October 01, 2011, 07:44:08 PM
I actually think the matchmaker does a pretty impressive job for the most part.

While any particular individual may end up in a crappy match, the matches themselves are generally well balanced, and more importantly, quickly started.

It's not too bad, except that certain categories should be narrowed.  In particular I think the Tier 5 and 6 Heavies (and to a lesser extant Tier 7) get pulled up into matches they have no business being in.  Looking at the Matchmaking Chart the Heavies should have the same spread as the TDs of the same Tier, 4 Battle Tiers wide.

Some SPGs with lighter shells have a similar problem, but the ones with heavier shot can manage in the upper Battle Tiers so it's a tougher split.  With the Heavies even the ones with the guns to cope with the bigger opposition will get blown away as soon as they are spotted, and they don't have the maneuverability of the Meds or Lights.

Iormlund

While any particular individual may end up in a crappy match, the matches themselves are generally well balanced, and more importantly, quickly started.

Look at the matchmaking chart. As a medium or TD 25% of the times you play will be pure ownage as you outrank almost anything on the battlefield. Not exactly a challenge. Another 25% will see you pitted against enemies two tiers over yours and the other 25% they will be 3 tiers over yours.

Slargos

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 07:39:11 AM

Look at the matchmaking chart. As a medium or TD 25% of the times you play will be pure ownage as you outrank almost anything on the battlefield. Not exactly a challenge. Another 25% will see you pitted against enemies two tiers over yours and the other 25% you it will be 3 tiers over yours.
Not exactly true. While a tier 7 medium can kill a tier 7 heavy, it is certainly typically an uneven match unless the medium is able to catch the heavy without support and has itself a few smaller supporting tanks.

Iormlund

Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 07:41:00 AM
Not exactly true. While a tier 7 medium can kill a tier 7 heavy, it is certainly typically an uneven match unless the medium is able to catch the heavy without support and has itself a few smaller supporting tanks.

I've only gotten as far as tier 5 meds and TDs (my KV has less than half a dozen battles) so admittedly I only know tier 7s as enemies.

However at least in my tiers a medium that is not heavily outranked in the field has alternatives against a similarly tiered heavy. When I face a KV with a T-28 I'll hang back and snipe him, blowing his tracks. In a T-34 I'll get in a flanking position or wreak havoc elsewhere. When I'm on a PzIII I can run circles around him or simply spearhead an attack on another route, obliterate his arty friends and cap before he can do anything.

Slargos

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 08:04:42 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 07:41:00 AM

I've only gotten as far as tier 5 meds and TDs (my KV has less than half a dozen battles) so admittedly I only know tier 7s as enemies.

However at least in my tiers a medium that is not heavily outranked in the field has alternatives against a similarly tiered heavy. When I face a KV with a T-28 I'll hang back and snipe him, blowing his tracks. In a T-34 I'll get in a flanking position or wreak havoc elsewhere. When I'm on a PzIII I can run circles around him or simply spearhead an attack on another route, obliterate his arty friends and cap before he can do anything.
Frankly, the only KV that will let you do that is stock, unlucky, or simply clueless. Snipe him with a T-28? Nigger please.  :rolleyes:

Iormlund

The Soviet long 57mm has much, much better accuracy than the KVs trollcannon. Get behind and obstacle or a slope and the chances of him hitting you at long ranges are not that good.

Slargos

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 08:20:14 AM
The Soviet long 57mm has much, much better accuracy than the KVs trollcannon. Get behind and obstacle or a slope and the chances of him hitting you at long ranges are not that good.
Then tell me. Have you ever successfully soloed a KV in a T-34?
Nevermind. You're expecting to be able to hit a KV with the derpgun in the open where you can take shots at him at your leisure. You've already answered my question. If you're going to expect to face complete fucking retards, you can take an IS-3 with a T-34 aswell. Just pop him enough times in the ass.

Iormlund

I don't get your position then. Are you arguing meds should be able to take heavies from the front in city combat?

My gripes with the matchmaker are not that I can't face anything head on. That's where tactics come in. They are that I'm simply irrelevant to the outcome of the match half the time.

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 07:39:11 AM

Look at the matchmaking chart. As a medium or TD 25% of the times you play will be pure ownage as you outrank almost anything on the battlefield. Not exactly a challenge. Another 25% will see you pitted against enemies two tiers over yours and the other 25% they will be 3 tiers over yours.

See, that is just plain BS. If you are in a higher tier match, so are others. Go find them and fight them. Avoid the guys who are higher.

Sure, that is often hard to do...so what? That is part of being good at the game is knowing how to play when you are high tier and low. I think it makes the overall game much better because it forces people to change things up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 08:22:55 AM

I have. The KV is an easy solo for a medium. It is funny watching that turret try to get around on you while you run around in circles.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 08:45:58 AM
I don't get your position then. Are you arguing meds should be able to take heavies from the front in city combat?

My gripes with the matchmaker are not that I can't face anything head on. That's where tactics come in. They are that I'm simply irrelevant to the outcome of the match half the time.

You are doing something wrong if you are irrelevant in half your fights.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 08:52:57 AM

I have. The KV is an easy solo for a medium. It is funny watching that turret try to get around on you while you run around in circles.
If you can circle him long enough to kill him with that peashooter, you're either extremely good or he's a fucking moron.

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 08:50:46 AM
See, that is just plain BS. If you are in a higher tier match, so are others. Go find them and fight them. Avoid the guys who are higher.

Sure, that is often hard to do...so what? That is part of being good at the game is knowing how to play when you are high tier and low. I think it makes the overall game much better because it forces people to change things up.

Those others are just as irrelevant as I am to the result of the match. As to avoid high tier guys, it has to be a joke. They've got better equipment, better view range, better radios and better crews than I have. If I see them before insta-dying is because they've fucked up badly.

Tamas

Quote from: Slargos on October 02, 2011, 09:00:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 08:52:57 AM

If you can circle him long enough to kill him with that peashooter, you're either extremely good or he's a fucking moron.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, a KV should never ever let a medium close, but sometimes it happens. Like your teammates leave you alone and you are zerged. Or you miss that single shot you sometimes have before a medium closes in on you.
Now, if the opposing player knows how to medium-pwn a KV (which Berkut knows, and you don't) he will stick as close to the KV as possible and circle him endlessly. Especially with the KV2 turret, the biggie has NO CHANCE to get a shot unless the medium makes a mistake or does an incredibly predictable route with no regards of where the KV turret is turning.
Ramming with the KV is of course an option but it is so slow that's hardly an option.

So, once the distance is closed and the KV is alone, the match-up is for the medium to lose.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on October 02, 2011, 09:28:01 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2011, 08:50:46 AM

Those others are just as irrelevant as I am to the result of the match. As to avoid high tier guys, it has to be a joke. They've got better equipment, better view range, better radios and better crews than I have. If I see them before insta-dying is because they've fucked up badly.

I think the best you can do is sticking with the primes of your team and supporting them. That few percents you can ding off may mean life or death for them, and as such, victory or defeat for your team. If you were active and you won the match, you will get decent XP, even if you were not much of an individual contributor.