News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Stupid TK system.  I see a Ferdinand exposing his side to me from a great distance, I start firing at it, only to hit my ally who got in the line of fire trying to flank the Ferdinand himself.  It happens, he was down on hitpoints, and I killed him.  Turns out he was in the enemy base, though, so I was immediately put in blue, and now my name in the garage shows up as blue as well.  What the fuck is that shit?  I know that killing your ally at the enemy base is seen as worse than usual, but to immediately blue me?  That's just idiotic.  I didn't even get that large of a fine for hitting killing the teammate.

DGuller

Woo-hoo, my first Kolobanov medal game!  Well, not for me, for one of the guys on the enemy team, but I did my part in helping him get the medal.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2011, 01:41:32 AM
Stupid TK system.  I see a Ferdinand exposing his side to me from a great distance, I start firing at it, only to hit my ally who got in the line of fire trying to flank the Ferdinand himself.  It happens, he was down on hitpoints, and I killed him.  Turns out he was in the enemy base, though, so I was immediately put in blue, and now my name in the garage shows up as blue as well.  What the fuck is that shit?  I know that killing your ally at the enemy base is seen as worse than usual, but to immediately blue me?  That's just idiotic.  I didn't even get that large of a fine for hitting killing the teammate.

:lol:

You make far more TK hits than seems prudent.

I've even gotten a couple of kills, but nothing yet. Knock on wood.

Syt

Managed to get 716 XP with the A-20 in one game in that Alpine valley (with the broken railway bridge?). Took point for my heavies (T6+7) on the left flank and painted a few targets for them before having to retreat. They managed to take out 3 of 5 I spotted that way. When my heavies were dead I kept zooming around a bit behind enemy lines, being a general nuisance, but got killed shortly before our team won.

Meanwhile, it sucks being the weakest guy in a city map if you're driving a tank destroyer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Oh ha ha. I just played my JagdPanther in that mountain map with the bridge. I forget what it's called [Mountain Pass, as it turns out.] We had just raped one of their flanks with a relatively aggressive medium assault supported by TDs and a Heavy, and were taking the flag.

The enemy team had 5 tanks left to our 9 and weren't really going to have time to return to the flag in time to prevent the cap so the match was over.

I spot the IS-7 at 58% coming around the corner of a rock, moving up a slight incline so that he would very briefly present his dropped pants to me. I wait, patiently, and the MOMENT before the match is over I get off one shot, without even having time to aim more than "in the general vicinity of the lower glacis" and he goes WHOOOMP. Lucky hit in the ammo compartment, I expect.

Probably got him a hefty repair bill completely unecessary.  :D

Slargos

I just watched a Tiger I at 5 % health, and a Tiger II at 8%, probably both with massive module damage... take out 6 tanks.

Little dumb cunts spread themselves so thin, the two WRECKS could focus them one at a time.

And they kept pinging them with AP.

No one. Not a single one thought to switch to HE.

6 tanks didn't achieve ONE SINGLE PENETRATING HIT.

And it's not like they were lights. A VK36, an IS, a Slugger.

This game is not good for my blood pressure.

Slargos

Testserver is up. Now is your chance to TK me.  :D

Berkut

I would not switch to HE if I was in an IS against a Tiger either!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 09:55:42 AM
I would not switch to HE if I was in an IS against a Tiger either!

I would, if the Tiger only has 5% remaining, and if you bounce the next shot he will kill you.

But then, I understand how the game works.

Berkut

You have an IS that can be 1-shot by a Tiger? You fail at WoT. Try the IS that doesn't get 1 shot.

For me, if I am hitting a Tiger, I know that my 122mm gun can easily penetrate him. Why scrape away HP instead of just destroying him outright? Especially since, as you said, I am able to fire many times at him.

Funny that your complaint is that 6 tanks were firing and could not pen him. Maybe they were using HE, it has really poor pen values, if you check the wiki.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 02:26:04 PM
You have an IS that can be 1-shot by a Tiger? You fail at WoT. Try the IS that doesn't get 1 shot.

For me, if I am hitting a Tiger, I know that my 122mm gun can easily penetrate him. Why scrape away HP instead of just destroying him outright? Especially since, as you said, I am able to fire many times at him.

Funny that your complaint is that 6 tanks were firing and could not pen him. Maybe they were using HE, it has really poor pen values, if you check the wiki.

Sometimes I think you're just trying to irritate me, and other times I think you're really that stupid. It's hard to say.  :hmm:

The IS was itself around 10-15% and while the 2 remaining Tiger drivers actually understood the game (they ended up with 13 kills between them IIRC, 8+5) the 6 remaining players on my team (I was taken out by the Tiger II after my 4th kill) obviously did NOT understand the game. The IS, granted, got a bit unlucky (or rather, he created that situation by not cooperating with the team, but instead attacking on his own) in that he was pinned by the Tigers from two sides and could never quite make up his mind on who to kill and thus ended up with inaccurate bouncing shots. Had he, or indeed any of the other 5 remaining tanks switched to HE they would've killed both Tigers long before they had a chance to take all 6.

Have you even tried using HE, yourself?

Berkut

Of course, but not in the situation you described.

Its not like you drive around with HE loaded. So if I get into a "crap, next shot wins..." sitch with the 122mm gun on the IS, I sure as hell am not going to stop loading my gun and reload it with HE - that guarantees that I don't get the next shot, so I am dead.

So if I am shooting at a Tiger that is below 10%, I expect that my shot is going to kill him, and then I want AP for my next shot for the next target (since I don't know that the next target is going to be the rather unusual circumstance where HE is more appropriate) so I am not going to set my next shot as HE either.

And no, I am neither stupid OR trying to irritate you. I do like gently mocking you when you go into "I am slargos WoT-fu super ninja, the only player who understands the game!" mode.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Then let me teach you a fascinating concept which you have apparently missed.

By hitting the appropriate button (1-3) you can actually choose what type of ammo your NEXT shot will be.

When they realized they were facing a pair of near-death tanks they should've switched to HE for their NEXT shot at the very least.

The only tank which had reason to continue shooting AP was the IS and he managed to bounce his shots aswell. Frankly, whenever I am in that situation I switch to HE ASAP because the AP is going to be overkill and I don't want to run the risk of a freak bounce.

Berkut

I am pretty sure I pointed out why I would not select my NEXT shot as HE either - how would I know the OTHER tank was near death, since I am almost certainly not looking at it?

Funny that you are pretending to teach me, when your original claim was that the IS should just sit there and RE-load HE for 6 seconds rather than fire AP. If you press the "other" ammo button once, it switches the next reload shot, but if you hit it twice, it will actually switch immediately - of course that means you re-start your reload timer. So you are of course completely wrong - pressing the ammo button will not effect your next shot at all, unless you hit it twice.

Under that situation, you probably really want to just fire your currently loaded AP round. This is probably in the wiki somewhere if you want to learn how this stuff works, although I figured it out on my own, since it is pretty obvious...to most people.

0 rows returned