News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I am in desperate need of more patience.

I just realized I am a "rusher" - that person who tends to run out in front of anyone else because waiting sucks, and promptly gets blown away.

This works out ok when you are scouting, but in most other cases is a recipe for disaster. I bet 2/3rds of my no kill games are because I am one of the first to die because I am too aggressive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

You might say that the other team got owned a little.  It was 16 shots and 16 hits for me, and all the shots I made after being nearly killed by a scout.  It was a rare good performance in T40 for me.  In fact, that performance lets me move on to the Wolverine.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 10:08:12 PM
I am in desperate need of more patience.

I just realized I am a "rusher" - that person who tends to run out in front of anyone else because waiting sucks, and promptly gets blown away.

This works out ok when you are scouting, but in most other cases is a recipe for disaster. I bet 2/3rds of my no kill games are because I am one of the first to die because I am too aggressive.
What improved my game a lot was playing VK 3601 with a conical gun.  You just absolutely cannot play with that configuration as a rusher, so it teaches you how to find spots to shoot from the back row, so to speak.  After I learned that, my performance improved in most tanks.

Slargos

Sigh.

Arctic. East start.

Saw my fellow JagdPanther make a dash straight for the open field and figured that if two of us go there we might actually pull off a nice flanking of their southern attack. And we did. He hid behind a rock and pretty rapidly got himself killed while I without support took out 5 tanks in the most amazing open field brawl I have ever pulled off, in a goddamned TD no less. My only cover was the charred wreckages of my victims.

What are my teammates doing?

Take a wild fucking guess. They're hiding behind the corner.

Down to 10% HP and facing a 50% IS, we had a sort of standoff on opposite sides of the cliff for maybe 30-45 seconds. I was wary since I knew the next shot would kill me, and he was probably too busy pissing his pants. Do my teammates react? No. They sit there.

Eventually the IS skips out and while I get a shot off to get him down to 25%, his next round takes me out. All the while the two KVs sit just around the corner, maybe 5-10 seconds away.

Rage. Utter rage.

Threviel

I got to 8 wins in a row with the SU-76 before my first loss. Now I have 10-12. Piece of shit tank.

Berkut

Latest update:

I went ahead and bought the KV-1S in order to use it to research the 122mm D-2-5T for the IS while my KV-3 worked on researching the IS itself.

So I was able to get the IS and its new gun pretty much at the same time. The IS is very nice. Very, very nice. I like it, and am thinking I am going to like it even more once I get the upgraded engine for it. Nice heavy tank with good mobility.

I was going to just sell the 1S, but think I will keep playing it off and on to get the KV-13 branch in case I want to go down the Soviet medium path at some point. I really like my 3002DB and how it plays as a great close range brawler, but I understand the Panther/Panther II are much more ranged snipers than brawlers, so I might want to have a Soviet high end medium to play as my get up close and personal tank.

Still plucking away at the German TD branch, maybe 1/3rd of the way to the JagdPanther, and still working on the US TD as well, almost up to the Slugger. I sold my M7 Priest though - 41k XP for the next US SPG is just going to take forever at the rate you earn with a SPG. Matches tend to take 2-3 times as long.

At the moment lack of creds is really hurting me. I just bought the IS though, and won't really have another vehicle to buy except for the M36 anytime soon. But I would like to get upgrades into the IS (I am thinking shell rammer, vent, and optics?), and that is going to be a lot of cash...and while the IS makes decent creds, the cost to replace the ammo at over 1k per shot is a bit ridiculous. I had a GREAT match in the IS where I took out 5 enemies, and we got the win. 32k creds, minus 7500 for repairs, and 7100 for ammo, and another 3000 for the repair kit. Suddenly that 32k creds isn't so impressive anymore.

The price difference in ammo is rather extreme. My 88mm rounds for my DB are 252 each, and the 122mm rounds for the IS are 5x the cost per round.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Yeah, SPG advancement is definitely out of whack in a major way.  Not only are you getting less experience for dealing damage, since you almost always have to share the credit with the spotter, but often you are one of the last to die even in the more hopeless battles.  I have no idea how you're supposed to progress without donating free experience. 

Some time ago, after realizing how steep this hill is, I actually sold all my arty pieces and mothballed my arty crew.  Maybe some day I'm going to return to playing arty, but right now it would just be taking up tank slots.

Berkut

My lat battle in the IS:

Defeat
Killed two enemy tanks
XP earner: 435
Credits earned: 18.250
Repairs: -7,824
Ammo: -6.150
Consumables: -3,000
Net profit: 1,276

That is just a bit silly right there.

0 rows returned

DGuller

That sounds typical, I'm not making much money with IS either, even though my kill/game ratio is safely above 1 with it.  I see now why people say that Tier 5 tanks are the most profitable.

Slargos

Welcome to the big leagues, kid.  :cool:

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2011, 10:18:00 AM
That sounds typical, I'm not making much money with IS either, even though my kill/game ratio is safely above 1 with it.  I see now why people say that Tier 5 tanks are the most profitable.

Kills doesn't determine income, damage inflicted does. If you're killing a bunch of light tanks and barely touching the heavies, I can see where you'd have a problem.

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 10:20:02 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2011, 10:18:00 AM

Kills doesn't determine income, damage inflicted does. If you're killing a bunch of light tanks and barely touching the heavies, I can see where you'd have a problem.
Yes, I know that.  :rolleyes: However, kill/game is an easy metric to understand and remember, and it's a good proxy for damage being dealt.

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2011, 09:58:41 AM
Yeah, SPG advancement is definitely out of whack in a major way.  Not only are you getting less experience for dealing damage, since you almost always have to share the credit with the spotter, but often you are one of the last to die even in the more hopeless battles.  I have no idea how you're supposed to progress without donating free experience. 

Some time ago, after realizing how steep this hill is, I actually sold all my arty pieces and mothballed my arty crew.  Maybe some day I'm going to return to playing arty, but right now it would just be taking up tank slots.

I'm on a free account, and barely getting started, but it took me longer to elite my Pz II then my Bison.  The big advantages of SPG as I see them are:

There's less to upgrade, so less experience needed.
It's pretty rare to have an outright bad game where you get nailed before doing anything.  My first 10 games in the Bison I didn't hit anything, but once I learned the ropes I'm almost always damaging at least two targets and frequently killing one.
SPGs get matched up against higher tiers earlier, meaning you get more XP for hitting those targets.

Slargos

Sure. Sure.

If you can live with being the spawn of syphilic whores and having your balls dipped in marinara sauce for the gobbling of your fellow SPG drivers while your mothers are being fucked by goats then SURE.

SURE. DRIVE YOUR GODDAMNED ARTILLERY YOU BASTARD SON OF A STREET WALKING SHEEP IN WALES.

Syt

I think it's cute how Slargos takes this game so serious and personal.  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.