And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 08:52:02 AM
I will say this on the King Tiger.

Its HP to Weight ratio is 12.7 per ton atm, but the top speed is 28 while the Löwe gets 35 at 8.5 per ton. Sure, the KT has noticably better acceleration, but it still feels like the much bitched Anti-German bias at work.

My sample size so far is very small, but I am getting the feeling that I'm ranked against higher tiers in the KT than in the Löwe. So sure, there may be some truth to Berkut's bitching. Not a lot. But some.
Top speed is not necessarily a function of hp/weight, only acceleration is.  Top speed is usually limited by the governor, which in turn is set to the speed the tracks and engine can take.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 07:43:09 AM
In case you missed it, take a look at "hits received"  :o

Uhh, wow. Was it you against the entire server population of 20mm guns?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:01:58 PM

Wasn't me. And there were no autoguns in that game. Smallest tank was a PzIII.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:01:58 PM

Wasn't me. And there were no autoguns in that game. Smallest tank was a PzIII.

Oh, I thought that was you. Not nearly as cool when it is just some guy I don't even know. :(

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:21:52 PM

Oh, I thought that was you. Not nearly as cool when it is just some guy I don't even know. :(

Well, point being that the tank DGuller decried as "worthless" took 89 goddamned hits in a game. That is amazing regardless of who it is.

I'll post a few screenshots of the hits I take with my Löwe later.  :hug:

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2011, 12:59:52 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 08:52:02 AM
I will say this on the King Tiger.

Its HP to Weight ratio is 12.7 per ton atm, but the top speed is 28 while the Löwe gets 35 at 8.5 per ton. Sure, the KT has noticably better acceleration, but it still feels like the much bitched Anti-German bias at work.

My sample size so far is very small, but I am getting the feeling that I'm ranked against higher tiers in the KT than in the Löwe. So sure, there may be some truth to Berkut's bitching. Not a lot. But some.
Top speed is not necessarily a function of hp/weight, only acceleration is.  Top speed is usually limited by the governor, which in turn is set to the speed the tracks and engine can take.

Oh. Well. Regardless, the Tiger II had a top speed of 42 km/h. In this game it tops out at 28. Fucking Soviets.

Berkut

You know what I really like about my Leopard?

I have something to do, even if I am the only T4 in the entire game. I may not be able to actually do it, but it is fun to try.

When you have some T5 medium and you are dead last on the list, you know you don't really have anything to do except stay out of the way and hope to pick some people off. Which probably won't work.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:24:20 PM
Well, point being that the tank DGuller decried as "worthless" took 89 goddamned hits in a game. That is amazing regardless of who it is.

I don't evaluate tanks based on how many hits they can take.  That T1 is so large that pretty much any time someone shoots from the enemies side, they have to hit some part of my tank, even if they weren't even shooting at me.  The fact that the guy had to fire 29 shots to take down a couple of Tier 5 tanks is what's really indicative of its worth.

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:36:05 PM

I have something to do, even if I am the only T4 in the entire game. I may not be able to actually do it, but it is fun to try.

When you have some T5 medium and you are dead last on the list, you know you don't really have anything to do except stay out of the way and hope to pick some people off. Which probably won't work.

Not true. Depends on the map, of course, but you can always spot. A T5 that runs ahead of a couple of T7-9 Heavies and TDs may mean the difference in the initial exchange. Trading a T5 for a T8 is always good maths. You may not actually get to "do" much yourself, but it can certainly be more helpful towards a victory than pinging a few shots off some T8's hull. Additionally, in city maps you can flank the opponent. It certainly fills me with a great amount of satisfaction watching 4-5 heavies turns around and expose themselves to fire as they work to get rid of me. With a bit of luck you'll take a couple of shots initially, and then when you die it's a whole volley of wasted fire.

I faced 3 Mouse in my Ferdinand in the open today. Instead of just sitting there and accepting my fate, I started shooting and scooting. Take a shot, reverse like hell. Managed to damage 5 tanks and score one kill in the process before they took me out, including 2 Mouse, but more importantly all the while they were blasting away at me, the guys a couple of hundred meters back in the tree line were shelling them without interruption.

It's not your number of kills that determines your value to the team, but how much damage you deal and how much you are able to interrupt the enemy's achievement of their goals.

Hell, I've effectively singlehandedly won matches in a low tier against high tiers by sniping them as both teams cap. It doesn't matter if you just do 1% of damage, the counter still resets.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2011, 01:37:21 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:24:20 PM

I don't evaluate tanks based on how many hits they can take.  That T1 is so large that pretty much any time someone shoots from the enemies side, they have to hit some part of my tank, even if they weren't even shooting at me.  The fact that the guy had to fire 29 shots to take down a couple of Tier 5 tanks is what's really indicative of its worth.

A fair point, I guess.

It was just amusing to me that while we were talking about it here, someone posted the screenie on WoT forum.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:46:35 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:36:05 PM

Not true. Depends on the map, of course, but you can always spot. A T5 that runs ahead of a couple of T7-9 Heavies and TDs may mean the difference in the initial exchange. Trading a T5 for a T8 is always good maths. You may not actually get to "do" much yourself, but it can certainly be more helpful towards a victory than pinging a few shots off some T8's hull. Additionally, in city maps you can flank the opponent. It certainly fills me with a great amount of satisfaction watching 4-5 heavies turns around and expose themselves to fire as they work to get rid of me. With a bit of luck you'll take a couple of shots initially, and then when you die it's a whole volley of wasted fire.

I faced 3 Mouse in my Ferdinand in the open today. Instead of just sitting there and accepting my fate, I started shooting and scooting. Take a shot, reverse like hell. Managed to damage 5 tanks and score one kill in the process before they took me out, including 2 Mouse, but more importantly all the while they were blasting away at me, the guys a couple of hundred meters back in the tree line were shelling them without interruption.

It's not your number of kills that determines your value to the team, but how much damage you deal and how much you are able to interrupt the enemy's achievement of their goals.

Hell, I've effectively singlehandedly won matches in a low tier against high tiers by sniping them as both teams cap. It doesn't matter if you just do 1% of damage, the counter still resets.

Yes, I know there are all kinds of things you can do, in theory. What you really do when you are in a T5 against a bunch of high tiers is TRY to do all those things and die. Now and again it works, but it is the exception rather than the rule. Your "dsitraction" typically amount to someone going "Hey, look, a medium. How cute! Blam!"

I like how you use as your example your experience in one of the most heavily armored units in the game. Yeah, that is very comparable to a T5 medium. A Ferdinand.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:57:53 PM

Yes, I know there are all kinds of things you can do, in theory. What you really do when you are in a T5 against a bunch of high tiers is TRY to do all those things and die. Now and again it works, but it is the exception rather than the rule. Your "dsitraction" typically amount to someone going "Hey, look, a medium. How cute! Blam!"

I like how you use as your example your experience in one of the most heavily armored units in the game. Yeah, that is very comparable to a T5 medium. A Ferdinand.

:lol:

Going up against three little mice (and their screens, I think there were about 7 tanks in total), it's a pop gun in an asbestos cart.

You can get lucky and deflect shots by angling it, but most people don't aim for the casemate, and even a T6 gun can penetrate the lower glacis. And since the casemate isn't angled very much, all that impressive armour can't even reliably bounce a T7 gun.

I was just using an example in recent memory where I was in the lower third of the roster.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 02:04:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 01:57:53 PM

:lol:

Going up against three little mice (and their screens, I think there were about 7 tanks in total), it's a pop gun in an asbestos cart.

You can get lucky and deflect shots by angling it, but most people don't aim for the casemate, and even a T6 gun can penetrate the lower glacis. And since the casemate isn't angled very much, all that impressive armour can't even reliably bounce a T7 gun.

I was just using an example in recent memory where I was in the lower third of the roster.

Fair enough, I don't even really think anything you posted was incompatabile with what I was saying. You were just being a "glass is half full" kind of guy, and I was being a "glass is half empty". The results for both of us is about the same, I imagine. It's not like I just throw my hands up in the air and refuse to play when I get a poor match (from a personal perspective).

I just had a match in my IS where we had 6 SPGs and the other side had 5. That was rather odd.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2011, 02:10:44 PM

Fair enough, I don't even really think anything you posted was incompatabile with what I was saying. You were just being a "glass is half full" kind of guy, and I was being a "glass is half empty". The results for both of us is about the same, I imagine. It's not like I just throw my hands up in the air and refuse to play when I get a poor match (from a personal perspective).

I just had a match in my IS where we had 6 SPGs and the other side had 5. That was rather odd.

Man I hate those.

5 is the worst I've seen so far. It really becomes a spotter's game though, which I'm sure is fun if you happen to be in one of those tanks.

Syt

Yesterday's "Oh shit" moment: peaking carefully around a corner with my M2, only to stare into the gun barrels of four tank destroyers who all fire the second they see you. Game over, man, game over!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.