And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 06:59:51 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 06:56:00 PM
I don't think I've ever made a kill out of chance shots into likely locations (although I usually like to lob a grenade into the TD camper spot in Ensk, which sometimes connects), though I've gotten a lot of prediction kills after I've lost sight of an opponent but placed a shot where I think he'll reposition to. Granted, I am wary of placing those kinds of shots since I usually run with pretty expensive ammo. A few wasted shots in a match without many hits can mean the difference between a net gain or loss of credits.
That I do all the time, and I've gotten a lot of kills like that.  But I've never fired into a space hoping to hit someone who wasn't even spotted yet.

It's certainly a good tactic in theory and I see some people actively using it, and a lot of people talking about it on the forums.. There are some very frequented locations in most maps, and odds are there's going to be someone sitting in that particular bush.

The problems I have with it, however:

1. Cost. Wasting ammo at 1000+ credits a pop goes against my nature as a cheapskate.
2. Opening fire leaves you vulnerable to detection and return fire for just a chance of doing some damage. Again, against my nature as a TD player.  :D
3. A random shot may indeed connect, but since you don't know the exact position of the tank, it's very likely to bounce.

Regardless, I bet it was a pretty satisfactory shot to make.  :D

Berkut

Well, maybe 1 or 2 more battles in my KV-3 and it will be on the IS. It's funny, I like the KV-3, and yet I am not really that good in it. Only about a 0.5 kill/match ratio, which is the lowest of any tank I've had more than 100 matches in...

The KV-1S which I don't like as much, has a much better kill ratio, even without the 122mm gun in it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

SU-85 has to be my biggest turnaround tank yet.  When I started with it, I was utterly hopeless with it, but towards the end I easily bagged 4 enemies per match.  I almost got the kill/match ratio to 1 before I retired it.

DGuller

Glorious day.  I'm finally rid of T1 heavy tank.  I even managed to go out on a high note, bagging 4 enemies and 1,500 XP.  What a turd of a tank, though.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 11:32:14 PM
Glorious day.  I'm finally rid of T1 heavy tank.  I even managed to go out on a high note, bagging 4 enemies and 1,500 XP.  What a turd of a tank, though.

I have a love-hate relationship with that tank. I love facing it since it's just a big old paper target. I hate killing it because it seems to have thousands upon thousands of HP.  :D

Syt

Following the above discussion, I'm now levelling three tanks:
- BT-7 (for Soviet mediums)
- German TDs (currently at PzJ1  :blush: )
- M2 American (for US heavies)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Not a bad choice.

The T-54 is the best medium in the game bar fucking none. No other medium can compete with it.

The German TD tree is love it or hate it. Marder II is the vehicle of choice for the guy with the highest victory % of IIRC the EU server, and from Marder to JagdPanther they're all good hiders with reasonable guns.

The US heavies are great if you know how to properly hull-down [since they have fantastic turret armour]. If not, I would actually switch to Soviet heavies were I you. The reason being that a lot of the research will carry over from your medium line, and you won't have to do the work twice as you will if you go several separate lines. For the same reason it is also probably adviceable to go Soviet TD aswell.
[/s]

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 11:32:14 PM

Holy shit. Counterpoint!  :worthy:

Slargos

In case you missed it, take a look at "hits received"  :o

Slargos

Goddamnit I hate the SPGs.

Sitting in my Ferdinand, solo-defending the bridge on that mountainy map with a north-west south-east flag orientation. I forget what it's called.

I am horribly outmatched since I'm facing an IS, a VK45, an ISU-152 and a Löwe.

Yet still I manage to destroy the IS that attempts to facehug me (Note for future reference, don't facehug a Ferdinand unless you've got a gun that can penetrate the casemate, there's just ZERO point to it  :lmfao: ) seriously damage the Löwe and get a couple of hits on the VK.

So what happens? Do I get to triumphantly play Gandalf on the bridge? Fuck no. Arty zeroes me and takes 80% of my HP in one shot. I get a couple more shots off, but then the SPG decides to brush me off the map and it's game over.

I really, really, reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally hate the SPGs.  :mad:

Slargos

I will say this on the King Tiger.

Its HP to Weight ratio is 12.7 per ton atm, but the top speed is 28 while the Löwe gets 35 at 8.5 per ton. Sure, the KT has noticably better acceleration, but it still feels like the much bitched Anti-German bias at work.

My sample size so far is very small, but I am getting the feeling that I'm ranked against higher tiers in the KT than in the Löwe. So sure, there may be some truth to Berkut's bitching. Not a lot. But some.

Slargos

Finally!

My first real self-created victory in the King Tiger earns me Steel Wall, Top Gun, Wittman and Master Gunner [not to mention complaints about maphacking]. :yeah:

No coincidence, I think, that it's the first battle I play with the upgraded turret. It makes quite a big difference.

katmai

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 08:25:40 AM

I really, really, reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally hate the SPGs.  :mad:
As someone told me, stop camping :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on July 24, 2011, 12:10:12 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 08:25:40 AM

As someone told me, stop camping :rolleyes:

:D

If it was me, I was just fucking with you. If it was Berkut.. well.. IDK about that guy. He's a bit loopy.

Regardless, someone has to either defend or attack through each lane. Since no one else was willing to attack over the bridge, someone has to defend it.  :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 07:43:09 AM
In case you missed it, take a look at "hits received"  :o
Did a light with a machine gun try to hit your turret?