News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 22, 2011, 03:42:28 PM
AHhh, I see we've moved into the part of the debate where you abandon any pretense of making actual arguments and just go with the straight "You are so stupid!" attacks. I rest my case. Enjoy your Lowe.

Given that you dismiss all arguments with "Nuh uh" I don't really see the point.

You will eventually realize the flaw in your reasoning once you get to Tier 8 yourself, and by then you will have conveniently forgotten this argument.

Your entire line of reasoning is perplexing to me. Why do you care whether a guy who's "earned" his tanks blows you away or a guy who's bought it does the same thing? You really don't make sense.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 03:44:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 22, 2011, 03:42:28 PM
AHhh, I see we've moved into the part of the debate where you abandon any pretense of making actual arguments and just go with the straight "You are so stupid!" attacks. I rest my case. Enjoy your Lowe.

Given that you dismiss all arguments with "Nuh uh" I don't really see the point.

You will eventually realize the flaw in your reasoning once you get to Tier 8 yourself, and by then you will have conveniently forgotten this argument.

Your entire line of reasoning is perplexing to me. Why do you care whether a guy who's "earned" his tanks blows you away or a guy who's bought it does the same thing? You really don't make sense.

It is really very simple. Allowing people to buy their way up the ladder makes it harder for those who didn't buy their way up to get up that ladder themselves, because the game is about competing with the others working their way up the ladder.

It is really very simple, I don't understand why you cannot grasp why basically everyone playing the game who has NOT bought themselves into a T8 heavy thinks that those who have are mostly a bunch of d-bags.

Heck, I can understand perfectly well the argument you use to tell yourself that you really haven't done exactly what you set out to do - I don't accept it as valid of course (if I did I imagine I would run out and by myself a shiny new Lowe myself and then argue with people that it really doesn't matter and is no help at all really fer sher!), but I can at least understand it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

No, it doesn't.

No, they don't.

No, you don't.

Slargos

Among the things which are completely beyond your grasp and ability to comprehend, Berkut, is for instance the biggest ACTUAL problem with Löwe:

Their drivers are often inexperienced.

They are frequently a problem for their teams because they don't know how to handle heavies, they don't know how to hull-down or angle their armour, and they don't know how to aim for weak spots in enemy tanks. When one team gets a Löwe, and the other team gets a Tiger II, there's no telling whether the Löwe driver is in his 20th game or 2000th, but you know that the Tiger II driver has played enough to at least have experience even if he doesn't necessarily have skill.

"OMG TAKES NO SKILL TO KILL T6".

No, you stupid mother fucker, but it takes skill to properly employ your Top in such a manner that your team gets better use out of you than the opposing team gets out of their best tank.

Another problem is that a lot of Löwe drivers aren't in the match to win, they're just in it to get a bit of credits and XP, in order to be able to quickly start another match. Hence, they play recklessly and get killed much sooner than they should.

Since the matchmaker will TYPICALLY assign an even number of High-tier tanks, having a Löwe on your team can actually be a DETRIMENT. You don't understand this, because you're only ever on the muzzle end of the Löwe.

The problem isn't that you don't understand, but that you don't understand how you could ever be wrong.

Berkut

You are making this argument as if I've disagreed with it.

Yes, getting a crappy Lowe driver on your team taking a slot that could be filled with a competent heavy driver is no advantage to your team. That is yet ANOTHER reason why non-Lowe players have perfectly valid contempt for Lowe drivers, and another reason why the existence of the Lowe degrades the quality of the gameplay. Thanks for making my argument for me.

And yes, Lowe drivers are often d-bags who just want to stomp on the low tiers and, as you have said, rake in the creds and free xp. Yet another reason why people hold them in contempt. Once again, thanks for making my argument for me.

I understand what you are saying perfectly - what is funny is that you cannot understand that you are making MY argument for me.

Yeah, that Lowe may not be helping their team. They certainly are not helping the mid-low tiers they are blowing away. But hey! They are helping THEMSELVES! And really, isn't that what is truly important to the Lowebitch? Of course it is.

0 rows returned

Slargos

:rolleyes:

So what's the difference between me driving my Tiger II, or my Löwe?

Because your argument seems to be flowing like a raging river.

Now it's "Löwes suck", and now it's "Löwes give unfair advantage" and now it's "OMG Löwes are killingmachines".

Berkut

Who said there was any difference? Not I.

My argument is that the Lowe makes the game less fair and less fun overall, and from a strictly gameplay perspective, they are a net negative on the quality of the game.

I never claimed "they suck", so that is out. They most certainly do give an unfair advantage - that is self-evident - if they did not, you would not pay for one. They are not anymore killing machines than the other high tier heavies, but those are most certainly killing machines to everyone NOT in a high tier heavy - which I've said from the beginning.

The fact is that the Lowe makes the game less fun for everyone but the d-bags who drive them. It makes the game more fun for them at the expense of everyone else, which is exactly why people like you will pay the cash for them. They are an unfortunate evil of the business model. The game itself would be better if they did not exist.

0 rows returned

Berkut

So I've been playing my KV because it is fun, and I had enough XP for the KV-1S even though I am almost halfway to the IS on the KV-3 path. I went ahead and bought a KV-1S just because DG said it was way better than the KV-3.

It's funny how different perceptions can be. I am totally underwhelmed by the KV-1S. It is a medium tank, drives like a medium tank, fights like a medium tank. It is a slow medium tank rather than a fast heavy tank. I am doing pretty well with it so far, but I think I will just use it to research the 122mm gun for the IS and call it a day. Maybe someday I will get the KV-13 and try out the Soviet mediums.

0 rows returned

DGuller

The 122mm gun is what makes the tank, it is less than whelming before you can get it.  It is a heavy medium, so you should play it like a medium.  It's also much closer to how IS handles, so if you plan on playing IS's, you should get some practice with KV-1S.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2011, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 22, 2011, 03:10:38 PM
So no, your particular example does not explain why at all. You could just suck in a Lowe, or it could be that you've not had sufficient matches for its superiority to establish itself, or you could just be unlucky. Why don't you compare how you do in your Lowe to how you do in all your tanks? Why have you selected just two to compare it with? I imagine that is because they are the two best ratios you have.
For all the tanks combined, the kills/games ratio is about what it is for Lowe, at 2/3.  I'll confirm that when I open the game next time.  That would be a less useful number, though, because it would include arty stats (much higher than for tanks, generally), as well as light tank stats (much lower than for tanks, generally).
Actually, my total kill/game ratio is 0.73.  So the Lowe average of 0.71 is actually slightly below my total average.  It's definitely not the easy ticket to battle domination, at least not in my hands.

DGuller

Argh, Tiger is every bit as annoying stock as people make it sound.  WTF were the Germans thinking putting armor at right angles in 1942?

Syt

I'm still maxing out my SU-76. Need another 3500 XP for the radio. So, at an avg. 220/battle it will take me roughly 15-20 more battles.

So far 112 battles (I only play a couple per day), of which I survived 33, and I've killed a measly 41 (the ratio slowly starts getting better). I've also started levelling the American mediums, now at tier 2.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I would not bother with the radio unless you really want to. Get into the SU-85B first, and get that 85mm gun.

0 rows returned

Syt

The idea was to bring the SU-76 to elite status so I can carry over the XP from it when the SU-85 is, uhm, out. No good idea?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on July 22, 2011, 11:14:15 PM
The idea was to bring the SU-76 to elite status so I can carry over the XP from it when the SU-85 is, uhm, out. No good idea?

Depends. The increase in radio range is always useful, but more to the point: Can you use the radio elsewhere? If you can, and you feel like you're getting good XP income with that particular tank, I would Elite it. Some tanks will simply rub you the wrong way, depending on the play style of that particular tank vs the opposition you're facing and I've certainly found that a new tank doesn't necessarily improve my rate of XP acquisition.

The one mistake I made while rushing up the German Heavy tree was not realizing how much equipment carried over to the TD tree and later tanks so instead of getting the XP for the parts in a fully tricked out tank I spent a lot of time researching basic items like engines and radios with stock tanks which is obviously a fucking pain in the ass. Planning ahead will make your life easier in the long run.