News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2011, 11:17:38 PM
My trusted Pz IV has been retired with full honors, now that it researched everything worth researching (i.e. everything except Hummel).  Now on to VK3601H. 

Speaking of that tank, I really, really love the conical gun.  On paper it seems like such a weak gun, but I can reliable score plenty of damage from a distance, and a couple of kills.  This gun certainly teaches you how to be a sniper like nothing else.
the conical sucks ass. remember that dmgdealt determines xp, not kills. the only theoretical uses for it is taking out modules or loadinggold ammo.

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 09, 2011, 11:51:17 PM
My trusted Pz IV has been retired with full honors, now that it researched everything worth researching (i.e. everything except Hummel).  Now on to VK3601H. 

Speaking of that tank, I really, really love the conical gun.  On paper it seems like such a weak gun, but I can reliable score plenty of damage from a distance, and a couple of kills.  This gun certainly teaches you how to be a sniper like nothing else.
the conical sucks ass. remember that dmgdealt determines xp, not kills. the only theoretical uses for it is taking out modules or loadinggold ammo.
Oh, I know that.  But I'm actually able to deal lots of damage, a little at a time, and to many tanks.  If I'm far enough away from my victim, I can somewhat reliably take out his tracks the first time, then try to take out his gun, then just keep chipping away at him.  All those merciless hits add up. 

Another advantage is that I can even hit higher tier tanks without a worry, and that gives the bonus for damage dealt to higher tiers.  Yet another advantage is that if you track someone and arty finishes them off, you get part of the credit for it.

DGuller

Just had a typical battle in a 3601.  Only killed one, and that one was almost dead.  However, I also damaged 6 tanks, including two Pershings and a SU-152.  Doesn't seem like a remarkable battle, but I still netted over a 1,000 XP from it.  It's a quiet killer, in more than one ways, this conical gun is.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2011, 11:56:18 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 09, 2011, 11:51:17 PM

Oh, I know that.  But I'm actually able to deal lots of damage, a little at a time, and to many tanks.  If I'm far enough away from my victim, I can somewhat reliably take out his tracks the first time, then try to take out his gun, then just keep chipping away at him.  All those merciless hits add up. 

Another advantage is that I can even hit higher tier tanks without a worry, and that gives the bonus for damage dealt to higher tiers.  Yet another advantage is that if you track someone and arty finishes them off, you get part of the credit for it.

Very true.

Slargos

Quote from: Slargos on July 09, 2011, 11:45:33 PM
interesting analysis, berk, but wrong on one point which i shall later elaborate on :hmm: :hmm:

And now that I'm on a real keyboard, here's my chance.

I've seen the T-54 take on 2-3 heavies in close combat and come out ahead. Its speed and agility means it can maneuver into positions where less skilled opponents can't take a shot. It is also extremely effective in taking out enemy arty.

In this sense, though perhaps not in reality, there is actually a function for a lighter, quicker tank not only for recon but also in combat.

[But then, the Soviet tank line is ridiculously overpowered. They are fast, carry heavy artillery, and are heavily armoured with relatively few weak points and good sloping. Their only real disadvantage is slightly less accurate guns.]

You will start seeing these types of plays beginning in earnest with the T-43 (and to a lesser degree, the Panther and Pershing [or Patton now, I guess])

They play a bit like lights but can actually do serious damage to heavies.

DGuller

Yeah.  I'd also say that T54, and not IS, is what defined the Soviet MBT design.

Slargos

Losing streak again today.

I keep holding my end of the line, mostly, but the other flank just withers away like they were shooting at eachother rather than the enemy.  :frusty:

Haven't had so many frustrating matches in a row in weeks.

Berkut

Got my first Top Gun today, in the KV/107.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 10, 2011, 05:59:48 PM
Got my first Top Gun today, in the KV/107.
That's what I got a first top gun with as well.  That's a lethal combination, if the matchmaker works your way.

Slargos

I wonder if I've said something stupid, and they've put some sort of nerf on me.

I sometimes yell at people.

It's a quirk.

Today my team was pitted against their top 3 of Object, JagdTiger and IS-7.

Our top 3, you ask?

1. T30.

Wait for it.

Waaaaait for it.

2. Löwe. 3. Löwe

:bleeding:  :frusty:

Seems extremely fair.

Slargos

It just will not end.

Wolverine? Turn a corner and get one-shot by a Hetzer's Derp.

Löwe? Stick my head out one brief second, get tracked and engine killed within moments.

I just played a match where the match maker for ONCE had vastly overstacked MY team, and more or less the entire component of heavies went up the hill on Campinovka so I figures this HAS to be an easy game for my Tiger.

Wrong.

Get up the fucking hill, and despite being one among 8 tanks on the line, it appears the arty and 5 tanks on THEIR hill assault are all targeting me. Get bumped down to 50% before even being able to fire a shot.

Tracked, repair track, fire, get back into cover.

Stick my nose out again, and despite being one of now 7 tanks, the fucking moment I head back into the line HELLO INCOMING ROUNDS. Gun taken out, ammo hit, 5%.

It's just not my day.

Berkut

You deserve it for being a Lowe bitch.

Just got my KV-3. I miss the KV already, that was probably my favorite tank. Once you get the 152mm derp or the 107mm cannon of doom, that is a LOT of fun to play.

My first match in the KV-3, I was the 2nd to last on the list, and I saw my first Tier 10 heavies. I didn't last long.

0 rows returned

DGuller

How the hell did you progress through KV so fast?  It took me a while with it. 

As for KV-3, IMO that tank is not even a dog, it's the stuff that comes out the dog's rear.  I could not get to grips with it at all.  That's the first tank I gave up on, and which made me go up a different tree branch.

Thankfully, I still had KV in working order and properly staffed, so I just grinded some more with it until I could get KV-1S.  That's a definite improvement, although still a bit subpar for the tiers it usually fights with.

Berkut

Did you have the 107mm researched for the KV-3?

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 11, 2011, 11:40:59 AM
Did you have the 107mm researched for the KV-3?
I had everything short of IS researched for it.  Didn't really help no matter what I did.  My best result was a whopping 1 tank destroyed.