News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Things to do in America

Started by Pishtaco, June 12, 2011, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pishtaco

I've been visiting the US for the last six months, working in San Diego. It's been rather lovely. But my job here is finishing, and in a few days I will give up my nice house in La Jolla and start on my way back to a small apartment in a grey street in central Europe.

I've got an opportunity to see some more of America on the way, since our flights are booked out of Atlanta in the middle of July. So we have three and a half weeks to drive over there. Can languish give me any advice on places to go and things to see on the way across?

My wife wants to visit places where she used to live in Berkeley and in Decorah, Iowa, so we will definitely be going there. Our provisional route is: the coastal road to San Francisco; Salt Lake City; the Tetons and Yellowstone; Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, the badlands park (I'm not sure what's there); Decorah. After that we have to get to Atlanta, and I'm not sure what a good route is. I would quite like to see the air force museum in Dayton, Ohio, but it's a bit out of the way; I'm also tempted by the mammoth cave in Kentucky, for the connection with adventure games. Are there any suggestions for places with historical, or other, interest that we should go to?

I'm also keen to hear about food we should eat. I haven't tried any proper barbecue yet.

jamesww

Quote from: Pishtaco on June 12, 2011, 01:02:42 PM
I've been visiting the US for the last six months, working in San Diego. It's been rather lovely. But my job here is finishing, and in a few days I will give up my nice house in La Jolla and start on my way back to a small apartment in a grey street in central Europe.

I've got an opportunity to see some more of America on the way, since our flights are booked out of Atlanta in the middle of July. So we have three and a half weeks to drive over there. Can languish give me any advice on places to go and things to see on the way across?

My wife wants to visit places where she used to live in Berkeley and in Decorah, Iowa, so we will definitely be going there. Our provisional route is: the coastal road to San Francisco; Salt Lake City; the Tetons and Yellowstone; Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, the badlands park (I'm not sure what's there); Decorah. After that we have to get to Atlanta, and I'm not sure what a good route is. I would quite like to see the air force museum in Dayton, Ohio, but it's a bit out of the way; I'm also tempted by the mammoth cave in Kentucky, for the connection with adventure games. Are there any suggestions for places with historical, or other, interest that we should go to?

I'm also keen to hear about food we should eat. I haven't tried any proper barbecue yet.

Doesn't the desert air force base where they store all of the old/scrapped aircraft have a fairly decent museum ? It's not too far off you route ?

CountDeMoney

and in a few days I will give up my nice house in La Jolla and start on my way back to a small apartment in a grey street in central Europe.

:nelson:

Admiral Yi

From Iowa drive down to St. Louis and see the arch.  Then to Memphis for barbeque, blues, and Graceland.  Then to Nashville for the Grand Ole Opry.  Then to Chatanooga to tour Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge (Civil War battle field).

Eddie Teach

You should hit Vegas for the quintessential caricature of America.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2011, 01:52:43 PM
From Iowa drive down to St. Louis and see the arch.  Then to Memphis for barbeque, blues, and Graceland.  Then to Nashville for the Grand Ole Opry.  Then to Chatanooga to tour Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge (Civil War battle field).

Should probably pack heat if your are going into St.Louis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I wouldn't drive. Not in the summer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Do us a favor and go directly back to Europe.

America hates faggot Europeans.

alfred russel

I don't know what you have seen, and what you haven't. I assume you made it up to LA, but if not, that is something to do. Las Vegas is not much out of your way, and you don't want to miss Chicago if you are in the midwest (and haven't been before). Saint Louis is also good to visit, and Cahokia is only about 15 minutes from Saint Louis (probably the best precolumbian native american site north of Mexico). On your way to Atlanta, some attractions are Nashville, Memphis, and Chattanooga (see Yi's post). All of those are in Tennessee, which you would be passing through between Kentucky and Georgia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Mammoth Cave is indeed a very interesting place to visit.  I should go check it out again sometime soon; it's about 2 hours southwest of where I live.  Also worth visiting if you're in Kentucky is a bourbon distillery (the most convenient one probably being Jim Beam given the path I assume you will be taking).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Since you would be in Kentucky, I would have said visit the Patton museum at Ft. Knox, but they ruined it and the tanks are supposedly gone. Fuck Ft. Benning.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: jamesww on June 12, 2011, 01:08:42 PM

Doesn't the desert air force base where they store all of the old/scrapped aircraft have a fairly decent museum ? It's not too far off you route ?

That's down in Tucson, AZ.  Way off his route.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 12, 2011, 05:31:08 PM
Since you would be in Kentucky, I would have said visit the Patton museum at Ft. Knox, but they ruined it and the tanks are supposedly gone. Fuck Ft. Benning.
:hmm:

It's still open, but I did hear that yeah. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2011, 05:41:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 12, 2011, 05:31:08 PM
:hmm:

It's still open, but I did hear that yeah. :(

No reason to go for the rooms of Patton crap. It was the lamest part of the museum. King Tiger = yes. Patton's gun = who cares?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive