News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Things to do in America

Started by Pishtaco, June 12, 2011, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Zeus on June 13, 2011, 08:15:26 AM
Your best bet would be to leave Kentucky. IMHO those sister-fuckers need to be booted out anyway.
Agree. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 13, 2011, 08:22:44 AM
Your best bet would be to leave Kentucky. IMHO those sister-fuckers need to be booted out anyway.

Aiming to be the first president of the Republic of Kentucky Cal?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zeus

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2011, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 13, 2011, 08:22:44 AM

I'd hope he'd be capable of setting his sights a tidbit higher than Kentucky.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zeus on June 13, 2011, 08:28:55 AM
I'd hope he'd be capable of setting his sights a tidbit higher than Kentucky.

:hmm:

Well, high altitude does make it harder to get oxygen to the brain, so maybe he'd have better luck in Wyoming.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2011, 08:26:56 AM
:shifty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

If you can spend some time in DC, it is well worth it. And if you can get to DC, you can get to Gettysburg, which is also very worth it.

If you decide to visit Niagara Falls, let me know - you can swing by Rochester for a visit!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Pishtaco

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2011, 09:47:46 PM
I like St. Louis as a town and a place to visit, but the tourist attractions in the city tend to suck. It is one of the best places to catch a baseball game--probably the best after Chicago (Cubs), New York (Yankees), and Boston. Other than that, it has good food and good people (though only if you stay out of the rougher areas). Cahokia gets surprisingly little press and tourist investment--I think that is because it is outside the city and actually in another state so it doesn't have a business community to lobby for it. Be sure to get the ipod tour if you go. There is another major mississippian culture site outside Atlanta (Etowah) which is not nearly as impressive, but I enjoyed seeing both. If you go to Cahokia, Etowah is going to be on your way into Atlanta and (at least to me) is interesting to see the cultural continuity between sites so far apart.

I was recommending Chattanooga, but that is because it will be right off the interstate as you drive into Atlanta. I've been to Chattanooga, and if you are interested in Civil War sites, it really doesn't compare to the east coast battlefields such as Gettysburg. The east coast is probably well out of your way, but I've heard that the Shiloh battlefield is very well done and is in Tennessee.

Perhaps rather than heading south from Ohio into Kentucky it would be better to head east to Washington DC? That is where they will have the best museums and has a cluster of the best civil war sites. If you want planes, they have the Air and Space Museum, which is going to be better than anything in Ohio. You will still get to see the south as you go into atlanta, and could even stop to see the arguably the best southern city (charleston) on your way.

Thanks again. I'll add Shiloh to the list of possible places to visit. I feel like this trip is meant to be to the interior of America and that the coast is out of the way, but that's not much of a reason to avoid it. I guess we'll see what things look like when we get to Ohio.

@Berkut - thanks very much indeed, but I probably won't make it up there. I lived in Toronto for a year and a half, and saw the falls a few times from the other side.