News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pawlenty Google Test

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 08, 2011, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2011, 12:04:33 PM
I don't think the weasal words rescue the test.  The availability of a service marketed on the internet does not suggest that the federal government "probably" doesn't need to provide it.  In fact, the availability of a service marketed on the internet doesn't really have anything to do with whether the government should be providing it.  The test should be whether the private sector can and will do a better job providing the service than the government does, taking into account all the desired objectives of the government program.  The "Google test" is the wrong test, qualified or no.

The weasel words don't rescue the test--he implied the post office is something the private sector could do as well, for example, which is stupid imo. The concept of the test is also stupid, imo (as you point out). But that isn't the same as saying, "I can google service x, therefore Tim Pawlenty's statements imply it should be turned over to the private sector." The weasel words should rescue him from that sort of ridicule.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Well what is done cannot now be undone.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

CountDeMoney