Should Gabrielle Giffords resign her Congressional seat?

Started by Caliga, June 09, 2011, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Gabrielle Giffords resign her Congressional seat?

Yes
14 (51.9%)
No
10 (37%)
Other (?)
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Ed Anger

The UN is always a threat. Today an office building, tomorrow Africans trying to tell us what to do.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2011, 04:38:42 PM
The UN is always a threat. Today an office building, tomorrow Africans trying to tell us what to do.

You can easily stop a determined UN assault with little more then a pair of ear plugs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 04:30:46 PM
You mean change the Constitution?  That's kind of expensive and it takes a long time.  Not to mention it isn't easy (you'd probably have some kind of bizarre GOP conspiracy theory about how this is somehow a plot to take away guns or set up death panels or have the UN take over).
You could just copy & paste the relevant article of the 25th. Surely not even your politicians can screw that up.

Slargos

No, for the reasons that Mongo already stated.

Once/if it's clear that she will never be able to fully perform her duties, then yes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 04:55:07 PM
You could just copy & paste the relevant article of the 25th. Surely not even your politicians can screw that up.

I assume you're being facetious?  Amending the Constitution is no small task.

Razgovory

You mean change the Constitution?  That's kind of expensive and it takes a long time.  Not to mention it isn't easy (you'd probably have some kind of bizarre GOP conspiracy theory about how this is somehow a plot to take away guns or set up death panels or have the UN take over).

An alteration of the Constitution requires a popular vote in the states.  It's much more trouble then its worth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 05:09:11 PM
An alteration of the Constitution requires a popular vote in the states.  It's much more trouble then its worth.

??  State legislature I thought.

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2011, 05:08:39 PM

I assume you're being facetious?  Amending the Constitution is no small task.

How many legislators can disagree on this particular amendment? It would be merely a non-partisan, technical improvement.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 04:42:07 PM
You can easily stop a determined UN assault with little more then a pair of ear plugs.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2011, 05:10:33 PM

You may be right.  I don't remember exactly.  Still it's a lot of hassle for something not that important.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2011, 05:10:33 PM

Can be done by either the state legislature or by specially elected ratification conventions in each state, Congress specifies which when they send the proposed admendments to the states.

Quote from: Iormlund
You could just copy & paste the relevant article of the 25th.

Not really.  The 25th provided a method whereby the Vice President would be able to become Acting President if the President was incapacitated.  But we already had the office of Vice President.  We don't have any remotely similar office in the legislative branch.  While I do think that an admendment to address the situation of how a incapacitated Senator or Representative probably wouldn't encounter much direct opposition to the idea in and of itself, there's no particular sense that it's needed, either, and if one was proposed, there would be a huge battle over how to chose an acting replacement.

Iormlund

Quote from: dps on June 11, 2011, 07:01:17 PM
Not really.  The 25th provided a method whereby the Vice President would be able to become Acting President if the President was incapacitated.  But we already had the office of Vice President.  We don't have any remotely similar office in the legislative branch.  While I do think that an admendment to address the situation of how a incapacitated Senator or Representative probably wouldn't encounter much direct opposition to the idea in and of itself, there's no particular sense that it's needed, either, and if one was proposed, there would be a huge battle over how to chose an acting replacement.

Who takes the seat if a Representative dies? Does it remain vacant until there are new elections?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 07:05:09 PM
Who takes the seat if a Representative dies? Does it remain vacant until there are new elections?

I think it depends on state law, but usually they hold a special election.

Admiral Yi

Takes backs.  In a lot of cases the governor appoints someone. 

Massachusetts famously changed their law during (Republican) governor "Mitt" Romney's tenure so that the legislature filled vacancies.   Then after he left office they changed the law back so the governor chooses.

And of course you're probably familiar with the brouhaha in Illinois over Gov. Blagoyavich trying to auction off Obama's Senate seat.

Neil

So the Vice-Congressman would take over?  And after him the Speaker of the Congressman's House?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.