Should Gabrielle Giffords resign her Congressional seat?

Started by Caliga, June 09, 2011, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Gabrielle Giffords resign her Congressional seat?

Yes
14 (51.9%)
No
10 (37%)
Other (?)
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

The Brain

Quote from: jamesww on June 09, 2011, 03:17:25 PM
No, she should be given every chance and as much time as possible to recover.

I think it's important to a democratic system that every opportunity to thwart the ambitions of an assassin should be taken;

Including voodoo?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Yes - she can't represent her constituents and in all likelihood, won't be able to in the near future.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2011, 03:51:10 PM
Yes - she can't represent her constituents and in all likelihood, won't be able to in the near future.

If she can understand what she's voting on and she can push a button she can represent her constituents.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2011, 03:59:08 PM

If she can understand what she's voting on and she can push a button she can represent her constituents.

I don't agree. There is more to a congresscritter's job than pushing a "yes" or "no" button to voting on bills. In this case, she can't communicate with her constituents, can't negotiate, can't debate over legislation, in fact can't communicate at all with any but her intimates,  so her constituents are being short-changed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Strix

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2011, 04:17:48 PM

I don't agree. There is more to a congresscritter's job than pushing a "yes" or "no" button to voting on bills. In this case, she can't communicate with her constituents, can't negotiate, can't debate over legislation, in fact can't communicate at all with any but her intimates,  so her constituents are being short-changed.

They let Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms stay under those same parameters.  :hmm:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

dps

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2011, 04:17:48 PM

I can't really disagree with that, and i also think that DGuller is correct that there would be more pressure on her to resign if it weren't for the way her injuries occurred.

We have a Constitutional procedure whereby if the President is alive but incapacitated, the Vice-President can become Acting President, but nothing that covers the incapacitation of a member of Congress.  There's not way to appoint an "Acting Representative" for her district.

While I would say that it would probably be best for her to resign, I wouldn't be prepared to tell her that myself, so I can't expect anyone else, like members of her staff, to do it.

CountDeMoney

QuoteHer words are back more and more now, but she's still using facial expressions as a way to express. Pointing. Gesturing. Add it all together, and she's able to express the basics of what she wants or needs. But, when it comes to a bigger and more complex thought that requires words, that's where she's had the trouble."

Not unlike most Teabagging GOP House members.  So I don't see what the problem is.

Weijun

Charles Sumner left his senate seat vacant for three years, so there is precedent in not resigning.  That said, Giffords does not particularly symbolize any causes, so the Dems would probably be better off with someone who casts votes.

Tucson is fairly liberal, as far as Arizona goes.  Even when they elect a Republican, he tends to be moderate (e.g. Gifford's predecessor, Jim Kolbe).

Razgovory

I think Arizona law requires a special election to replace a vacancy.  By the time they get that set up, it'll almost be time to have the ordinary election.  Probably not worth the effort.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Octavian

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2011, 03:41:16 PM

I think it's important to a democratic system that every opportunity to thwart the ambitions of an assassin should be taken;

Including voodoo?

Now go do... that voodoo... that YOU do... SOOOO WELLLLLL!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

garbon

Quote from: Octavian on June 10, 2011, 07:15:46 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2011, 03:41:16 PM

Including voodoo?

Now go do... that voodoo... that YOU do... SOOOO WELLLLLL!

You have the ability to remember song lyrics. Congratulations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: dps on June 09, 2011, 04:43:45 PM
We have a Constitutional procedure whereby if the President is alive but incapacitated, the Vice-President can become Acting President, but nothing that covers the incapacitation of a member of Congress.  There's not way to appoint an "Acting Representative" for her district.
Wouldn't this be a good moment to provide such a way?

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 03:52:08 PM
Quote from: dps on June 09, 2011, 04:43:45 PM
Wouldn't this be a good moment to provide such a way?

You mean change the Constitution?  That's kind of expensive and it takes a long time.  Not to mention it isn't easy (you'd probably have some kind of bizarre GOP conspiracy theory about how this is somehow a plot to take away guns or set up death panels or have the UN take over).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017