News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can one get serious career advise at languish?

Started by Valdemar, June 09, 2011, 06:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 06:58:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2011, 06:53:30 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 06:41:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2011, 06:39:57 AM
There are a LOT of things which are better than the corporate world.

Wearing pink t-shirts and selling kitchen furniture is not one of them.

:lol:

How would you know, being a corporate slave yourself.  :hmm:

That's exactly how I know it: I'd never exchange one for the other :contract:

You could never.

There is a not very subtle difference.  :hug:

Well, true enough, there is a level of honor above which one becomes incapable of acting as a salesman. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2011, 07:21:23 AM
Sure you can.  You just need to keep in mind who is giving the advice and totally disregard as appropriate. :)

I would disregard Cal's advice, but that results in a paradox. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2011, 07:38:11 AM

Well, true enough, there is a level of honor above which one becomes incapable of acting as a salesman. :)

:lol:

Whatever you say, Ned.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2011, 07:21:23 AM
Quote from: jamesww on June 09, 2011, 06:20:24 AM
QuoteRe: Can one get serious career advise at languish?

Probably not.
Sure you can.  You just need to keep in mind who is giving the advice and totally disregard as appropriate. :)

For instance, take my advice, don't listen to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

In that case it is perhaps inappropriate to disregard the advice. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Is there anything that stops you from taking one of the currently available consultancy positions, reasses and then start looking for the kind of industry job you think you prefer?

The way I look at it is that if you're waiting around for your ideal job, there's no reason not to do so in a less miserable position in a new job. And who knows, maybe it'll turn out that the less miserable position is actually very fulfilling. On the other hand, if it isn't, you haven't really lost anything and in most likelihood some of the misery has been abated by the excitement and hubbub of getting into a new position. There's usually a bit of a honeymoon period like that.

To me it sounds like you're a bit afraid of change and using the ideal of perfection to talk you out of the achievable and available good.

In short, pull the trigger. Go. Sitting around and hoping that things get better is miserable.

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2011, 10:54:02 AM
In short, pull the trigger. Go. Sitting around and hoping that things get better is miserable.
:yes:

I know lots of people who sit around hoping for that, and it never happens.  Meanwhile, they're wasting time and getting stale.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Yeah, I'd say that option seems the best. A job that is slightly less shitty than your current one is still a step in the right direction even if it isn't your ideal job. Just because you're working a less shitty job doesn't mean you have to stop looking for a good one.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

On the other hand, would your current employer give you better leverage to find an industry job? If you don't like your current job because of the hours, pressure, and sales culture, are you sure the consulting gig you are contemplating is going to be different?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

If you're not happy about your present job situation then leave for something else. Change is generally for the better.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2011, 12:33:47 PM
If you're not happy about your present job situation then leave for something else. Change is generally for the better.

So you're a follower of Tzeentch. I always had you pegged (ahem) as more of a Slaanesh guy.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2011, 12:36:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2011, 12:33:47 PM

So you're a follower of Tzeentch. I always had you pegged (ahem) as more of a Slaanesh guy.

I'm flighty.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

QuoteAnd so my motivation has dropped, and now from working hard to deliver goals I have a hard time motivating myself to even deliver on assignments.

This right here caught my attention.

If things are so bad you're having trouble even finishing your assignments you need to get out.  Now.  Before they fire you down the road.

I don't have any experience in consultancy, but I do in law.  And everything you described about your job sounds like a big law firm, so I can commiserate.  In particular what you describe sounds just like the law firm mergers I have seen - everyone is smiles at first, but eventually people from the smaller firm feel frozen out, and many / most leave within a few years.

There's little downside to going to another consultancy firm and seeing how you like it.  You can always leave it further down the road.  Don't spend too much time waiting for the "perfect" job - just get a good job.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

You already have a Big Four on the resume. Go do what you want now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valdemar

Thanks all :)

Most of you say what i feel.. "get out of there before it makes you suicidal" :D

But, I've been givn the warning advice from some contacts in headhunting.. too many and too often a change on your resume needs very good reasoning and is pulling down.

In short, if i change for anoterh consultancy, and then back to industry shortly after it may or may not, depending on my interviewing skills, reflect badly. It is seen as someone not committing or unable to settling and always looking for something else :)

But yeah, BB and others, the big four are very much like a big lawfirm, in particuallr those of them that still has accountants running the show....

V