News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can one get serious career advise at languish?

Started by Valdemar, June 09, 2011, 06:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Well, I'll try my luck.

I'm at one of the "big 4" consultancies. I came in with a company takeover, and the first few years were actually quite fun, assignments decent, prospects looked good and all that.

Then things slowly detoriated. Lots of promises from the first years on promotions and responsibilities never fulfilled. And so my motivation has dropped, and now from working hard to deliver goals I have a hard time motivating myself to even deliver on assignments.

Paired with that I have felt the turmoil of being a "bought in company" the bosses who came in with me at senior levels, and who made the goals, promises, and then negated on them have all been replaced, in fact i've had 3 different senior line managers (partners and directors) in 12 months.

So, I find I want a new job and I activate my network. Basically I had come to the conclusion I should get out of consultancy and back into industry (I used to work in tobacco and beer companies).

And here is the catch. The ones responding fastest and most aggressively are other consultancy companies. I've taken their offer of interviews to feel out the market and get a bit of rust knocked of my interviewing skills, as well as get a better bearing on what I want. And now I think I may land a good offer with one of the other companies right below the big4. After a long proces I met with the senior partner and I think it went well.

However, I still feel that while I tend to like consultancy assignments proffessionally, I am not too keen on the working atmosphere when it comes to the aggressive pursue of hours, the big focus on sales for the sake of sales (all the way down to cold canvassing) and the everlasting long hours needed (with two boys 11+8)

On the other hand, the current job is a 9 out of 10 on the choke factor, and I see no way out of the rut I'm being pushed into, in part due to the association I have with the semi failed integration of the company I came in with.

My dilemma therefore is:

Do I gut it out, accepting shitty assignments with no possibility of advancements or reaching bonus goals, hoping the right "industry" job comes after summer?

Or, do I take the other job, pursuing better assignments, hoping that I will regain the will to live (or just work) and then jump ship if the right job appears down the line in 6-8-12-24 months?

V

Slargos

Hasn't been me for over a decade.  :P

I have no experience with the corporate rat-race, but I feel like I want to laugh at your misfortune nonetheless.  :sleep:

Valdemar

Tamas

There are a LOT of things which are better than the corporate world.

Wearing pink t-shirts and selling kitchen furniture is not one of them.

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2011, 06:39:57 AM

:lol:

How would you know, being a corporate slave yourself.  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 06:41:51 AM

That's exactly how I know it: I'd never exchange one for the other :contract:

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2011, 06:53:30 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 06:41:51 AM

That's exactly how I know it: I'd never exchange one for the other :contract:

You could never.

There is a not very subtle difference.  :hug:

garbon

@V - Sounds like you know what you want to do (leave consultancy) but are concerned about the ramifications of abandoning ship.  Any appealing non-consultancy prospects?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2011, 07:01:07 AM
@V - Sounds like you know what you want to do (leave consultancy) but are concerned about the ramifications of abandoning ship.  Any appealing non-consultancy prospects?

Not here and now, and the thing is I LIKE the consultancy assignments, thats the kind of advisory role i'm really good at.. its the consultancy workplace, and in particullar the one I'm at, that I'm fed up with

V

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on June 09, 2011, 07:02:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2011, 07:01:07 AM

Not here and now, and the thing is I LIKE the consultancy assignments, thats the kind of advisory role i'm really good at.. its the consultancy workplace, and in particullar the one I'm at, that I'm fed up with

V

Be your own independent consultant? :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

Caliga

Quote from: jamesww on June 09, 2011, 06:20:24 AM
QuoteRe: Can one get serious career advise at languish?

Probably not.
Sure you can.  You just need to keep in mind who is giving the advice and totally disregard as appropriate. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I'd take the next best opportunity you were offered.  I don't think 'environment' is as big a factor as others do.  People tend to like their jobs when they feel they are being fairly compensated, have opportunity for growth, and like their co-workers, regardless of the type of environment or nature of the business.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points