Main Menu

Pawlenty Google Test

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 08, 2011, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2011, 05:53:07 PM
Jade Falcons are a bunch of fags.
Except for Elias Crichell.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

To be fair to Pawlenty, he included the words "probably" and "adequately". I assume he wants to suck up to the tea partiers who will interpret that to mean he is going to slash the role of government, while also sucking up to contractors who will interpret that to mean he will outsource everything that can possibly be outsourced.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2011, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
I am surprised to find out that there are google services that provide things like nationwide security and legal system services, i.e. courts and such. I had no idea.

There are plenty of services that have websites that provide private adjudications of disputes on a national basis.  Try AAA or JAMS for example.

But adjudication is not a court system, and could not possibly replace the court system. This fails the google test.

There are also private security companies and investigation/intelligence providers that operate nationwide.  Some even have worldwide coverage.

BUt they lack the ability to arrest, investigate, etc., etc. Again, they could not replace that FBI, for example. They can't get warrants, blahblahblah.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Can't Bail bondsmen make arrests?  They certainly can detain people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

I wonder if I could somehow get a Letter of Marque and Reprisal.   :hmm:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 09:20:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2011, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
I am surprised to find out that there are google services that provide things like nationwide security and legal system services, i.e. courts and such. I had no idea.

There are plenty of services that have websites that provide private adjudications of disputes on a national basis.  Try AAA or JAMS for example.

But adjudication is not a court system, and could not possibly replace the court system. This fails the google test.

There are also private security companies and investigation/intelligence providers that operate nationwide.  Some even have worldwide coverage.

BUt they lack the ability to arrest, investigate, etc., etc. Again, they could not replace that FBI, for example. They can't get warrants, blahblahblah.

Think how much we could save if we outsourced warrants to private companies. We already have notary publics and other private companies involved in the legal process. Instead of clogging our justice system up with unnecessary cases, have citizens pay a company for a warrant to pursue a criminal investigation. Therefore, those that really want the case to go to court and see the alleged tried will pay more, while those that don't care or are uninterested will not pay and the case does not progress. Either way, the taxpayer saves!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 08, 2011, 10:07:44 PM
I wonder if I could somehow get a Letter of Marque and Reprisal.   :hmm:
Call your congressman, the Constitution gives the congress power to issue them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2011, 02:01:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2011, 01:52:21 PM
Maybe it wouldn't be unprofitable at a higher price? Fed Ex goes almost anywhere, and I don't know that their pricing is so complicated. Email is the answer.

What about police work? Should individuals living in dangerous neighbourhoods be charged an extra tax to cover extra costs of police work there? Your reasoning leads to madness like this.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that police work be privatized though...are they?

Why is it such an injustice if some people somewhere pay more for mail delivery? There are innumerable advantages and disadvantages to living in various places. What is it about delivery service (but only for 1st class mail, of course - apparently it is perfectly ok that other things that need to be delivered have variable costs) that demands government intervention in order to make sure everyone pays the same?

Isn't first class mail frequently used for official, formal, government, court etc. communication? If so, it is important that all citizens have an equal access to those.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:15:05 PM
Everything can be electronically transmitted, and when I am sending something that cannot, it is usually something I would Fedex anyway.

Is the entire population of America online? There are no US citizens that have no access to e-mail? If yes, then I guess you are right.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 08, 2011, 02:37:56 PM
Swedish "Posten" lost its monopoly in 1993. We're doing OK.

But you still have state-owned postal service, right? If so, not sure how your post is relevant. We are talking about the state completely withdrawing from offering postal services.  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 09:20:32 PM

What an idiotic retort. Seriously.  :lol:

They can do it. They just need to get a legal authorization to do so. You just argued that private postal service could deliver first class mail and that the state post's monopoly on this should be abolished - so how is this different? Abolish the state monopoly on ability to arrest, investigate or get warrants.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2011, 11:03:32 PM
Interesting... I may just have to try that.  I wonder if my Congressman will even know what a letter of marque is. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2011, 06:55:04 AM
Interesting... I may just have to try that.  I wonder if my Congressman will even know what a letter of marque is. :)

Who's your congressmen?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2011, 07:04:22 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2011, 06:55:04 AM

Who's your congressmen?

Who isn't his congressmen?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.