And we're back!

Main Menu

Sarah Palin, Paul Revere and Wikipedia.

Started by Razgovory, June 06, 2011, 06:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Scipio on June 07, 2011, 11:08:16 AM
She kind of got lucky and semi-accurately stated some facts;

Calling her comments "semi-accurate" is like saying that Stalin really did care a lot about the Poles at Katyn. It may be "semi-accurate" but not in any meaningful sense, and certainly not in the manner that Palin stated it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 10:27:28 AM
Isn't Palin displaying her general ignornace a dog bites man story?  Why is this particular comment drawing attention?

Yeah, I admit, it's kind of like making fun of the retarded kid in class.  What interested me was how her partisans were trying to rewrite history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2011, 11:35:42 AM
Isn't Palin displaying her general ignornace a dog bites man story?  Why is this particular comment drawing attention?

Yeah, I admit, it's kind of like making fun of the retarded kid in class.  What interested me was how her partisans were trying to rewrite history.

The idea that Paul Revere was motivated by a desire to protect gun rights is pretty funny. Not quite as funny as the idea that Revere was running around with the intent to warn the Brits though - about anything.

0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on June 06, 2011, 11:30:06 PM
Quote"If you follow Wikipedia's rules," he wrote, "we must maintain a neutral position, representing the mainstream position as well as disputed versions."

So any piece of random crap said by a public figure has to be put up?

:yes:
And any crackpot idea that can be found in a book.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

dps

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

The idea that Paul Revere was motivated by a desire to protect gun rights is pretty funny.

Actually, that might be the most accurate part of her statement.  The goal of the British in setting out from Boston was to capture and destroy munitions that had been stockpiled by the colonists.

Of course, for the colonists, having the arms wasn't the point, it was a means to a goal.

DGuller

Beating up on Palin is like beating up on a cripple;  sure, it's fun to do for a while, but after the cripple turns into a bloody pulp, it's more annoying than rewarding to keep pummeling.

Iormlund

A cripple would eventually show some sense, though.

Palin is more akin to the Black Knight. She just won't give up.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on June 07, 2011, 01:47:06 PM

The dangerous difference is that some people take Palin seriously while everyone knows enough to laugh at the Black Knight.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on June 07, 2011, 12:18:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2011, 11:43:07 AM

The idea that Paul Revere was motivated by a desire to protect gun rights is pretty funny.

Actually, that might be the most accurate part of her statement.  The goal of the British in setting out from Boston was to capture and destroy munitions that had been stockpiled by the colonists.

Of course, for the colonists, having the arms wasn't the point, it was a means to a goal.

While the desire to secure munitions was a military goal of the British, the desire to not let them secure those munitions is a ALSO a military goal, not a political one. One could be vehemently opposed to gun rights as espoused by the NRA, and still think that if you are going to be in a war, it might be a good idea to secure your munitions before the enemy seizes them.

I guess when the US bombed German munitions factories in WW2, that meant we were anti-gun rights, and the Luftwaffe trying to shoot down B-17s were fighting for the Second Amendment.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Because when the mistake was pointed out, she didn't retract or clarify, but instead insisted that she was correct, and her minions went along with the canard.  It is hilarious.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2011, 01:56:12 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 07, 2011, 01:47:06 PM

The dangerous difference is that some people take Palin seriously while everyone knows enough to laugh at the Black Knight.

[dps]
Well, if you look closely, you can see that Arthur didn't actually cut his arm off - there was still a considerable stump there. So really, the Black Knight wasn't incorrect.
[/dps]

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2011, 02:06:10 PM
Because when the mistake was pointed out, she didn't retract or clarify, but instead insisted that she was correct, and her minions went along with the canard.  It is hilarious.

Got it.  It's the "cover up" more than the deed itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 03:10:10 PM

Like Wiener. He should have just said, "Yeah I texted that bitch my crotch. That's how I roll".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 07, 2011, 03:24:29 PM

Like Wiener. He should have just said, "Yeah I texted that bitch my crotch. That's how I roll".
No wiener (perfect name for this scandal too :lol:) forgot the age old advice. Deny 'til you die. There was always some plausibilty to his story. Coming clean or getting caught in the lie has the same consequences, so denying was his only intellegent option.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on June 07, 2011, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 07, 2011, 03:24:29 PM

No wiener (perfect name for this scandal too :lol:) forgot the age old advice. Deny 'til you die. There was always some plausibilty to his story. Coming clean or getting caught in the lie has the same consequences, so denying was his only intellegent option.

I think the problem here is that so many other women had incriminating photos of him ... denial was futile.

If he just did the oopsie dance when the story broke, it wouldn't have made much of a story.

Note: I'm using "incriminating" loosely here - he wasn't actually doing anything criminal (assuming the women he texted weren't underage ...  ;) ).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius