Main Menu

Sarah Palin, Paul Revere and Wikipedia.

Started by Razgovory, June 06, 2011, 06:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
What did Palin say?

Quote from: Sarah Palin"He who warned uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."

This reads to me like garbled syntax.  Move the "that" before the British and it makes sense.

jamesww

This sort of story is to her benefit, it allows the wrong people to not take her seriously; meanwhile she's building her 'base'.   

I think she's canny enough to plan long term and I'd guess she's decided to sit out 2012 and work to be the republican candidate for 2016. :unsure:

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2011, 04:26:14 PM
What did Palin say?

Quote from: Sarah Palin"He who warned uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."

This reads to me like garbled syntax.  Move the "that" before the British and it makes sense.

:yes:  That seems more likely than she thought that Revere was a British sympathizer, and that mentioning said "British sympathizer" would be a good idea to drum up support in her base.

Not that linking Revere and gun rights isn't kind of retarded in itself, mind you - but it's not exactly the acme of stupid some are making it out to be.

Malthus

The amusing thing is that Revere's actual Revolutionary War accomplishments were pretty meagre, to say the least; his "ride" was actually just part of the colonial early-warning system, and he was only one of several who undertook it (and he was arrested partway through). His fame rests not on what he did, but on the fact that Longfellow wrote a famous poem about him, full of (deliberate) mythologizing.

The ironic thing is that Longfellow was related to Revere's own commanding officer (well, second in command) during the disasterous (for the Americans) Penobscot Expedition, Peleg Wadsworth, who accused Revere (in charge of the artillery) of "disobedience and cowardice", charges which resulted in Revere being dismissed from the service (though he later had them cleared). Peleg, on the other hand, was a genuine military hero (he saved the remaint of the US forces from the disaster).

So ... the descendant of the hero writes a poem about a mediocre military failure, whom his own ancestor branded as a coward, which gets that coward elevated to postumous glory. Seems Palin is just continuing a long American tradition ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2011, 04:26:14 PM
What did Palin say?

:lmfao:  No, it doesn't!  "He who warned uh, that the British they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."

Paul Revere was riding to warn Adams and Hancock (who were staying at Hancock's house in the country) that British troops were on the way to arrest them.  He rang no bells, fired no shots (didn't even have a weapon to fire with), and didn't need to warn that the British weren't taking away arms because everyone knew the British were not taking away arms.

Her version is a conglomeration of several stories.  As a teacher, I hear this type of story all the time when the students who were not paying attention are asked to summarize what someone just said.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on June 07, 2011, 05:47:32 PM
So ... the descendant of the hero writes a poem about a mediocre military failure, whom his own ancestor branded as a coward, which gets that coward elevated to postumous glory. Seems Palin is just continuing a long American tradition ...  :D
:lol:  True.  That American tradition is probably better represented by "Charge of the Light Brigade" and "Gunga DIn" (two of my favorite American poems), though.  Some people argue that The Odyssey is the best American poem in this tradition, but I personally think it is too long to be the "best."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on June 07, 2011, 11:08:16 AM
How is this woman important, exactly?

She's going to be your party's nominee in 2012.

Caliga

I just watched a clip of her statement on YouTube.  She clearly had no clue what she was talking about and was just stumbling around grasping at straws.  She wasn't 'misunderstood' or 'misquoted' or anything of that nature. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 07, 2011, 07:51:50 PM
I just watched a clip of her statement on YouTube.  She clearly had no clue what she was talking about and was just stumbling around grasping at straws.  She wasn't 'misunderstood' or 'misquoted' or anything of that nature. :sleep:

You have inspired me to listen to it.  I believe she did the people of Alaska a great service by quitting.  I wouldn't put that woman in charge of a PTA.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Well it's not like you were a fan of hers prior to my post. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 07, 2011, 07:51:50 PM

Yeah I saw it.  Needless to say if she really is this ignorant about the founders and the revolution her driving around in a big Constitution bus is pretty sad.  Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Funniest part about this whole thing isn't the answer she gave, but how she insisted on FOX that she was asked a "Gotcha" question.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2011, 10:28:46 PM
Funniest part about this whole thing isn't the answer she gave, but how she insisted on FOX that she was asked a "Gotcha" question.

Next they will ask her who George Washington was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2011, 10:33:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2011, 10:28:46 PM

Next they will ask her who George Washington was.

Or what her favorite color is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017