News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sarah Palin, Paul Revere and Wikipedia.

Started by Razgovory, June 06, 2011, 06:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on June 06, 2011, 11:50:20 PM
I never got the Wikipedia hate.  You got the sources at the bottom and you read 'em to determine if the article is valid or not.  It's a good summary for many, many, many subjects.  It's a little (well, it is) shallow for subjects in wich you are studying at university, but for every other subjects, it's a perfect way of learning, by reading the articles and the sources, as long as you keep your critical thinking, of course.  They make mistakes, but so do other encyclopedia.

Yep.

Also, the breadth of scope is really a lot of fun.  They have an article about facials.  Take that, Brittanica.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2011, 12:59:53 AM
They have an article about facials. 
Including hilarious pictures, even. "An unsmiling woman receiving a facial."  :lol:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 11:32:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 06, 2011, 09:39:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2011, 09:28:01 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 06, 2011, 07:17:22 PM
lol, Wikipedia users.

And to think, an entire generation of Timmays are supporting their college work with it.

I never used Wikipedia as a source.

Take the sources Wikipedia uses, and claim them for your sources. :yes:

I have often found that the sources used in Wikipedia don't actually say what the person sourcing claims they say.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I never got the Wikipedia hate.  You got the sources at the bottom and you read 'em to determine if the article is valid or not.  It's a good summary for many, many, many subjects.  It's a little (well, it is) shallow for subjects in wich you are studying at university, but for every other subjects, it's a perfect way of learning, by reading the articles and the sources, as long as you keep your critical thinking, of course.  They make mistakes, but so do other encyclopedia.
I never got it, either.  Wikipedia is unreliable and unauthoritative, but has links to more authoritative sources and the average article reliability is high enough that it serves for general knowledge's sake.  You just have to know what you are dealing with, like any other source.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2011, 06:32:09 AM
I never got it, either.  Wikipedia is unreliable and unauthoritative, but has links to more authoritative sources and the average article reliability is high enough that it serves for general knowledge's sake.  You just have to know what you are dealing with, like any other source.

It's gotten better in the last few years, but you still see lots of unsourced statements, pages scarred by edit wars, lists of references in popular culture, vandalism, and outright kookery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Kleves on June 07, 2011, 01:40:34 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2011, 12:59:53 AM
They have an article about facials. 
Including hilarious pictures, even. "An unsmiling woman receiving a facial."  :lol:
:mad: Misleading advertising.  :mad:

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2011, 08:39:41 PM
In the most ironic thing ever I spend alot of time correcting grammar errors in obscure wikipedia articles.
That is terribly ironic, Mr. Keske.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
What did Palin say?

Quote from: Sarah Palin"He who warned uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Isn't Palin displaying her general ignornace a dog bites man story?  Why is this particular comment drawing attention?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Sarah is the gift that keeps on giving.

The attempt to somehow make her comments actually make sense is a lot more amusing than the comments themselves, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 10:27:28 AM
Isn't Palin displaying her general ignornace a dog bites man story?  Why is this particular comment drawing attention?

The reporters following her around are extra super mad at her for treating them like shit. Here's an idea. Stop following her.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Scipio

She kind of got lucky and semi-accurately stated some facts; the rush to interpret her as a raving imbecile is far more illustrative of the media's thirst for some sort of non-Weiner news, than of anything else.

How is this woman important, exactly?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 07, 2011, 11:06:52 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 10:27:28 AM

The reporters following her around are extra super mad at her for treating them like shit. Here's an idea. Stop following her.

The reporters bitching about the bus is awesome. Palin might as well paint a trollface on the side of the bus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive