News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tonight I am going to tell my wife

Started by Siege, June 06, 2011, 01:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Nope, he was a US Navy pilot stationed in the Pacific, flying PBY Catalina flying boats. :console:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 14, 2011, 01:42:02 AM
I've always been interested by the lack of war stories. It's understandable nowadays with our small armed forces, but in my childhood the country was full of WW2 vets and elderly WW1 vets, plus I lived in army barracks most of the time because of the old man's job.............and yet very few stories.....

I guess a lot of guys who have seen action simply put it in a separate compartment, to keep us in blissful ignorance about the realities perhaps  :hmm: ?

Plenty of war stories have been put in print.
As I said, it is easier to type about your experience than to tell somebody that wasn't there.
Why?
I really don't know.
I guess when you are typing you are kind of talking to yourself.
And more importantly, your personal emotions are safe behind the computer screen.

I don't think I have ever EVER talked with anybody about my personal experience face to face.
I mean, with my friends that were there with me we get drunk and talk about the our brothers that didn't come home.
But for example, my new buddies in my new unit, they don't know, and I will never tell them.
I mean, we talk a lot about our deployments and we share our experiences from the tactical point of view, but we all avoid the painful details.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

That makes sense Siege.

If you ever do write it down I for one would be interested in reading.

Siege

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 14, 2011, 01:42:02 AM
I guess a lot of guys who have seen action simply put it in a separate compartment, to keep us in blissful ignorance about the realities perhaps  :hmm: ?

Also, keep in mind that statisticly few people are involved in actual combat.
There are 7.5 soldiers per 1 infantryman in the US Army.
I believe this proportion was even higher during WW2.
And even though non-infantry soldiers can have a couple of bad days during a deployment, do not kid yourselves, in the infantry is were shit happens and were people pay the price.

I suspect many of these veterans may be witnesses to grity scenes, but that do not make them infantry.
Not to diminish their service. We cannot advance far without supplies.
But if you want to make a diference on the battlefield, there is only one job for you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Legbiter

You're an awesome soldier, who'll never have to buy a drink for yourself if you ever wind up in Iceland.  :) No, seriously.

Tell your wife that when you need a good punchline.

Well....at least the drinks'll be free in Iceland.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Habbaku

Quote from: Siege on June 14, 2011, 08:31:48 PM
But if you want to make a diference on the battlefield, there is only one job for you.

In a tank?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Infantry win battles, support personnel win wars. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I can't think of anyone who personifies the Queen of Battle better than Siege. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Also, keep in mind that statisticly few people are involved in actual combat.
There are 7.5 soldiers per 1 infantryman in the US Army.

Even with all of our private contractors?  We should do it like the Roman Army and have all the support services also be done by infantry men :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2011, 01:05:45 AM

Infantry win battles, support personnel win wars. ;)

Amateurs discuss tactics; dilettantes, strategy; but professionals talk about logistics.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Cooks are the most important part of the military.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2011, 10:06:42 AM
A army does indeed march on its stomach. Although they have feild rations now, so their cooks are machines somewhere desicating meals.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zeus

Quote from: HVC on June 15, 2011, 10:15:32 AM
A army does indeed march on its stomach. Although they have feild rations now, so their cooks are machines somewhere desicating meals.

The best kind of cooks. (I.E. Don't complain, don't go on strike, and, more importantly, don't need to be paid).

I'm terribly sorry for your losses Siege. Death is natural but rarely pleasant. Doubly so in war.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Malthus

If you can't feed, you can't fight - at least, not for long.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius