And we're back!

Main Menu

Tonight I am going to tell my wife

Started by Siege, June 06, 2011, 01:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 02:23:30 AM
This poem sucks.

:huh:  What is your problem?  It's not necessary for you to attention-whore in every thread.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jamesww

Siegy, this might not be a good idea, it might place too heavy a burden on your wife, that she can't deal with; rather than bringing the two of you closer together it might have the opposite effect ?

Wouldn't it be better to get some advice from the on-base counseling or psychological services first ?

Take a step back, open a couple of millier lites and watch some mindless tv instead.

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2011, 11:28:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 02:23:30 AM
This poem sucks.

:huh:  What is your problem?  It's not necessary for you to attention-whore in every thread.

I was feeling snarky in the morning. Happens sometimes.

jamesww

Has Seigy posted since starting this thread and has anyone been in off-forum contact with him ?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: jamesww on June 06, 2011, 02:28:16 PM
Siegy, this might not be a good idea, it might place too heavy a burden on your wife, that she can't deal with; rather than bringing the two of you closer together it might have the opposite effect ?

Wouldn't it be better to get some advice from the on-base counseling or psychological services first ?

Take a step back, open a couple of millier lites and watch some mindless tv instead.

Good advise.
It is what I ended up doing.
Didn't have the courage to tell her.
Somehow it is easier to type something than to put it in words.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jamesww

Quote from: Siege on June 13, 2011, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: jamesww on June 06, 2011, 02:28:16 PM

Good advise.
It is what I ended up doing.
Didn't have the courage to tell her.
Somehow it is easier to type something than to put it in words.

Excellent, good man :cheers:

Rather than trust my own very limited experience in these matters, I went round and spoke to an ex-British army mate of mine, he didn't see the same amount of combat you have, but he said they're was plenty of things he didn't and couldn't tell his wife; the above was my distillation of his advice.

Richard Hakluyt

I've always been interested by the lack of war stories. It's understandable nowadays with our small armed forces, but in my childhood the country was full of WW2 vets and elderly WW1 vets, plus I lived in army barracks most of the time because of the old man's job.............and yet very few stories.....

I guess a lot of guys who have seen action simply put it in a separate compartment, to keep us in blissful ignorance about the realities perhaps  :hmm: ?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 14, 2011, 01:42:02 AM
I've always been interested by the lack of war stories. It's understandable nowadays with our small armed forces, but in my childhood the country was full of WW2 vets and elderly WW1 vets, plus I lived in army barracks most of the time because of the old man's job.............and yet very few stories.....

I guess a lot of guys who have seen action simply put it in a separate compartment, to keep us in blissful ignorance about the realities perhaps  :hmm: ?

Yeah, same here. My granps never talk about it. Just a few stories here and there, anecdotal stuff. There was an uncomfortable silence whenever i asked them about it in my younger years, so I stopped asking. Some stuff is better left alone.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 14, 2011, 01:42:02 AM

Yeah, I have heard plenty of stories from family members, but they were civilians caught up in the shitstorm.
The only relative I had semi-regular contact with who was both old and unlucky enough to actually fought in WW2 was at the disaster at the Don river. But I only learned this not long before he died. During one of our visits, the old man (I can't say I liked him much, but I did respect him) told some stories which were rather moving, and I regret I was too young and can't remember everything. But I do recall I was shocked to see that cold and silent and tough-as-balls old man struggle with so strong emotions.

Slargos

Yeah, the stories I've been told have been...

Wait.

We haven't been to war for hundreds of years. :yeah:

:nelson:

Caliga

My great uncle kept his war stories to himself until he started to suffer from Alzheimer's.  At that point he began sharing them with everyone within listening range. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on June 14, 2011, 06:46:08 AM
My great uncle kept his war stories to himself until he started to suffer from Alzheimer's.  At that point he began sharing them with everyone within listening range. :cool:

pls pls pls was he in the ss
Women want me. Men want to be with me.