Sesame Street is ‘a propaganda tool for the Left’

Started by jimmy olsen, June 02, 2011, 08:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 02, 2011, 04:23:20 PM
I don't let my kids watch the Street. Not because of some non-exitant bias, just because of fucking ELMO.

BRING BACK READING RAINBOW.

That was one I watched when I was a kid.  Don't know if it helped, but I did become an early reader.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was my childhood obsession.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

11B4V

Whe I was stationed in Germany from 88-92 my weekday routine when not in the field was; wake up, PT, watch sesame street on AFN, go to work. Wash, rinse, and repeat until the weekend. Used to laugh my ass off watching that show.

So, my opinion to 'a propaganda tool for the Left' is whatever.

Fucking funny shit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTc3PsW5ghQ&feature=relmfu
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

Wait a fucking minute- there are PEACEFUL alternatives to war?

GITDAFUCKOUTTAHEAH!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2011, 12:46:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 02, 2011, 12:33:09 PM
Having met a number of people associated with Sesame Street including Kevin Clash (Elmo), Chris Cerf (music), and Lisa Henson (Jim's kid... think she is/was a producer) I can tell you for sure that these are very leftish folks.  I don't think it matters much, though... the focus of the show is on very early childhood education and I find it impossible to believe that little kids could possibly pick up on a political bias.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that for a minute.  I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't lefties.  I just don't see anything in Sesame Street that is egregiously left-biased.

For some, the lack of a strong conservative slant (i.e. Bible quoting, etc.) is a left-wing bias.  :ph34r:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zoupa

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 02, 2011, 09:24:47 PM
For some, the lack of a strong conservative slant (i.e. Bible quoting, etc.) is a left-wing bias.  :ph34r:

But are you acutely attuned to this, or are you just a regular joe?  :hmm:

Capetan Mihali

I also remember watching "Barrio Sésamo" in high school Spanish class, which was hilarious.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 02, 2011, 09:24:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2011, 12:46:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 02, 2011, 12:33:09 PM
Having met a number of people associated with Sesame Street including Kevin Clash (Elmo), Chris Cerf (music), and Lisa Henson (Jim's kid... think she is/was a producer) I can tell you for sure that these are very leftish folks.  I don't think it matters much, though... the focus of the show is on very early childhood education and I find it impossible to believe that little kids could possibly pick up on a political bias.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that for a minute.  I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't lefties.  I just don't see anything in Sesame Street that is egregiously left-biased.

Being liberal leaning can vary widely depending on the needs of the conservative polemic.  Not smoking is a sign of leftism, when Jonah Goldberg wanted to argue that Hitler was a leftist his distaste for smoking was used as evidence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

I would think his vegetarianism a more compelling argument.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 02, 2011, 11:16:25 PM
I would think his vegetarianism a more compelling argument.

I don't think it's particularly compelling, but I believe that was made as well.  Even though it doesn't really make any goddamn sense.

Eddie Teach

The terms left and right are ambiguous enough that pretty much any historical figure could be argued to go either way.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 02, 2011, 11:32:31 PM
The terms left and right are ambiguous enough that pretty much any historical figure could be argued to go either way.

The problem is these terms are not sufficient to describe reality, especially when you include systems other than "Western democracy". The classic division of ideologies has been a triad of liberalism, conservatism and collectivism. Each regime or ideology known to man can be described as being a mix (in various proportions) of these three.

Admiral Yi

OK, do FDR and Pinochet.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2011, 01:29:08 AM

OK, do FDR and Pinochet.

Jaron or Augusto?  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2011, 01:29:08 AM

OK, do FDR and Pinochet.

FDR - liberal with dash of collectivism
Pinochet - conservative with dash of liberalism
Hitler - collectivist with dash of conservatism
Stalin - pure collectivist
Bush (and most of America) - liberal with dash of conservatism

Libertarians are a mix of liberalism and conservatism (thus placing them at the exact opposite side of the triangle to collectivism).