Sesame Street is ‘a propaganda tool for the Left’

Started by jimmy olsen, June 02, 2011, 08:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Sesame Street, which first aired early in the Nixon adminisration, is typical capitalist-imperialist propaganda designed to dull the wits of proletarian and vaguardist toddlers.  The puppet protagonists are obsessed with fetished commodities like rubberized bath toys and mass-produced baked goods, and with talismans of elitist culture like ballet tutus.  Puppets and human youth alike are controlled by a narrow-minded petit bourgeois ruling class such as the proprieters of a grocery store and a poorly disguised pawn shop and various petty professionals.  The only character that dares to challenge the crushing oppression of the system is portrayed as a filthy, worm-ridden denzien of a trash can, thus reinforcing the message of conformity.  The interests of finance capital are regularly reinforced by forcing the characters (and thus viewers) to engage in simple ritualistic accounting excercises involving rote recitation of numerical sequences. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

You slipped up on the ballet.  Commies loved ballet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 02:31:50 PM
You slipped up on the ballet.  Commies loved ballet.

Only the Russian betrayers of the revolution.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Isn't most kids TV leftist if we're playing that game?
Caring for others, diversity, etc.... are pretty universal traits of kid's TV.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

I'd love to see the Libertarian version of Sesame Street.

'Sharing is for parasites'.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Not much left wing about The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2011, 02:28:31 PM
The only character that dares to challenge the crushing oppression of the system is portrayed as a filthy, worm-ridden denzien of a trash can, thus reinforcing the message of conformity.

You forgot the most insidious aspect.  Through a seemingly innocent game of "one of these things doesn't belong" youth are conditioned to indentify all those who do not conform and to immediately report such deviants.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on June 02, 2011, 02:41:53 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2011, 02:39:57 PM
Isn't most kids TV leftist if we're playing that game?
Caring for others, diversity, etc.... are pretty universal traits of kid's TV.

That was kinda my point earlier, though of course I take exception with the notion of caring for others being a leftist notion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2011, 12:28:58 PM
For me, as someone acutely attuned to leftwing bias in TV, movies, news, etc.,

Damn, I'd like to be acutely attuned. Can you teach me, massa?

Ed Anger

I don't let my kids watch the Street. Not because of some non-exitant bias, just because of fucking ELMO.

BRING BACK READING RAINBOW.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2011, 04:20:00 PM

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2011, 04:20:00 PM

Don't let him fool you.  His condition is chronic, not acute.

Zoupa

jamesww

Quote from: Malthus on June 02, 2011, 02:41:53 PM

That'll be a tea party.