Global War On Drugs 'Has Failed' Say Former Leaders

Started by jamesww, June 02, 2011, 06:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Having a prescription doesnt mean your medication is covered.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 04:33:47 PM

-once something can be prescribed, it can be over-prescribed. 

Heck, that's true even with drugs that nobody has any interest in taking recreationally.  Antibiotics have been over-prescribed to the point that many of them are nearly useless.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on June 02, 2011, 05:31:31 PM

Heck, that's true even with drugs that nobody has any interest in taking recreationally.  Antibiotics have been over-prescribed to the point that many of them are nearly useless.

Very different situations though.

Over-prescription for narcotic drugs is done by double-doctoring, deliberate deception of doctors, that sort of thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 05:36:18 PM
Quote from: dps on June 02, 2011, 05:31:31 PM

Very different situations though.

Over-prescription for narcotic drugs is done by double-doctoring, deliberate deception of doctors, that sort of thing.

True, but there are a lot of doctors who just want you to go away happy.  One of the things that caused doctors to over-prescribe antibiotics was that patients by the late 60s expected to be given antibiotics when they were sick.  Most doctors of course realized that the antibiotics wouldn't do anything for many conditions, but didn't realize that they were just breeding drug-resistant bacteria, and probably hoped that there'd at least be a placebo effect.  But mostly, it was done because the patients expected it, and doctors who didn't hand out antibiotics like candy saw their patients go to the ones who did instead.

Iormlund

-You start loading pharmacies with cocaine and heroin, and they're going to be robbed / stolen from a lot more.

Why would anyone rob a pharmacy if they could get their fix at generic-drug prices? We're not talking here about hi-tech shit that some lab invested billions to develop.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jamesww

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 06:16:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 02, 2011, 04:34:24 PM

I'd tax herons. They are damn bastards.

I don't think you can tax a bird.

I don't know, try asking me a math question.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jamesww

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 06:21:38 PM
Nobody is making any sense! :(

Do I need to spell it out ?  :hmm:

I was alluding to taxing a bird-brain. :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: jamesww on June 02, 2011, 06:27:37 PM

:mellow:

I'm trying to figure out if I've gone crazy or everyone else has.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 06:28:51 PM
Quote from: jamesww on June 02, 2011, 06:27:37 PM

:mellow:

I'm trying to figure out if I've gone crazy or everyone else has.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

jimmy olsen

I'm appalled that this hasn't been posted yet! :angry:

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive