News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey X-gen bosses - How do you deal with Y-ers?

Started by Martinus, May 31, 2011, 03:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2011, 07:00:42 AM
Well I hope you workaholics get decent overtime money for slaving away for other people's profit.
If yes, all is well. If not, you are the crazy ones, not the people who are fine with working 40 hours, especially if they get the same money you do. And if thats roughly the same job too, then you overtimers are the suckers, and you need to realize that.

Me? I have kept it strict principle to never take work home. It is gI have worked overtime a lot of times, on multiple occassions I ended up helping other guys/teams overtime without financial compensation, when shit hit the fan and I stayed in to clear it up. But I work to live not the other way around.

You don't get paid overtime in my profession. In fact, usually being paid overtime is a good indicator that you are rather low in the professional hierarchy - managers and the like usually do not get paid overtime.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2011, 08:18:24 AM
Well I hope you workaholics get decent overtime money for slaving away for other people's profit.
If yes, all is well. If not, you are the crazy ones, not the people who are fine with working 40 hours, especially if they get the same money you do. And if thats roughly the same job too, then you overtimers are the suckers, and you need to realize that.

Me? I have kept it strict principle to never take work home. It is gI have worked overtime a lot of times, on multiple occassions I ended up helping other guys/teams overtime without financial compensation, when shit hit the fan and I stayed in to clear it up. But I work to live not the other way around.

You don't get paid overtime in my profession. In fact, usually being paid overtime is a good indicator that you are rather low in the professional hierarchy - managers and the like usually do not get paid overtime.

yeah but that echelon earns a shitton of money so really dont have much ground to complain :P

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2011, 08:19:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2011, 08:18:24 AM

yeah but that echelon earns a shitton of money so really dont have much ground to complain :P

Yeah but that's exactly the point Slargos was making.

You have people in jobs like mine earning pretty good cash, without overtime pay, because there is this unwritten agreement that you work hard and you are paid well. Then comes in young lazy shits and think that, since this is basic pay, they should be entitled to it even though they want to leave work at 5 p.m. each day. So they end up being paid shit (the entry pay for trainees today is much lower than it was when I got my job) and complain how unfair it is.

Tamas

You have the right to be pissed about that of course, but I am sure this is not a generational, but personality issue.

Lazy, self-important pricks were not only recently invented. And I also have problems with those.

But if someone chooses to earn less for less work hours, more power to them.

garbon

I haven't been paid overtime since I entered and office environment. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually I looked at my job description recently and there is no mention of hours. I don't make an hourly wage, so the omission isn't strange.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2011, 06:24:57 AMNot really. These people do not get hired. But then they go into the streets and protest, like the slackers in Spain or Greece right now.
Let them. They'll learn the hard way then.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2011, 08:12:51 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 07:43:16 AM
Ed's hiring process:

Plusses:
Age 30+
Ageist :o

I'm tired of young people.
You're on my list. Lucky for you i'm young(ish) and thus too nmotivated to do anything about it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2011, 08:33:57 AM
*cue in joke about your wife*

She clearly doesn't like young people either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martim Silva

My experiences with Gen Y:

1. Get freaked by the fact that they do not recall recent events;

(e.g. 'I barely remember 9/11, I was just 13 at the time'  :huh:).

2. Feel old because they can no longer understand normal expressions I use;

(things that used to be said back in the day, but since they refer to things long gone, young adults have no way to understand the meaning)

3. Get weirded out when I see then typing a long SMS under 10 seconds. I need 20 minutes to write "Will be there at 20.30 PM".

4. Get younger managers to deal with them in a day by day basis.

As for their work ethics:

They're lazy. But that applies to every single Portuguese generation since 1540, so I don't feel a difference from my time. The things to look out for are those that go "the extra mile" and reward them accordingly.

I don't get annoyed if someone doesn't work unpaid overtime if they are not in important positions. In fact, we classify people who do so as "suckers", and give them meaningless titles with no extra money, in order to take advantage of their gullibility.

Also, young people are screwed. They get very low wages, often have no job security and their perspective of having a stable work/family life are slim to none. Our young generations don't have a future, and many want out. Going to Germany is an idea for many. The Goethe Institut recorded an increase of 300% of the number of unemployed people registering themselves to learn German, so that they can go to Germany.

Main difference when compared with my generation:

- Very willing to take advantage of Europe to search for opportunity elsewhere.

garbon