News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Politicians shouldn't tweet

Started by garbon, May 31, 2011, 12:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/30/congressman-says-hacker-placed-lewd-photo-on-twitter-account/

QuoteCongressman says hacker placed lewd photo on Twitter account

weekend controversy involving a lewd photo posted on the Twitter account of Rep. Anthony Weiner is a "prank" caused by a hacker, Weiner told CNN on Monday.

Weiner, a New York Democrat who is one of the leading liberal voices in the House, blamed the photo on a hacker who got control of his social networking accounts.

"Look, this is a prank and not a terribly creative one," Weiner (pictured) told CNN in an exclusive interview Monday, adding: "I was hacked. It happens to people. You move on."

However, Weiner's spokesman, Dave Arnold, said the congressman has retained an attorney to look into the situation.

"We've retained counsel to explore the proper next steps and to advise us on what civil or criminal actions should be taken," Arnold said in a statement. "This was a prank. We are loath to treat it as more, but we are relying on professional advice."

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/30/pickpocket-posted-penis-pic-hudak

Penis pic not mine: PC candidate

Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak says PC candidate George Lepp is a victim of a crime.

"George's BlackBerry was taken from him and someone was playing a bit of a prank on him" Hudak said Monday. "Those were not pictures that Mr. Lepp took.

"Someone is playing a prank on him. It's unfortunate and we're going to move ahead."

Lepp hit the front page of The Sun over the incident, which involved a close-up of a man's genitals being posted to his Twitter account.

In a version of events given to The Sun by PC Party spokesman Alan Sakach, the photo was inadvertently shot by Lepp when the camera phone was in his pocket, then posted sometime after he had his pocket picked over the weekend at the party's annual convention.

That explanation though is now hotly disputed by the party and Sakach denies giving it.

"What we're saying is exactly the same thing as transpired — the BlackBerry was taken from Mr. Lepp," Hudak said. "Someone played an unfortunate practical joke and we're going to move forward."

No one from the party has called The Sun to say the story — first posted Sunday night — is incorrect.

"My understanding is that we have made sure the facts get out to The Sun and to other media," Hudak said
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Not a real choice though.  If your voters tweet, you basically have to. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2011, 01:21:03 AM

No you don't. They still watch tv.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

"Lewd"? Kid-speak today, real "kewl" I guess. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2011, 01:21:03 AM

Aren't most tweeters young? They aren't really a key voting segment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

And Tweets will only be read by people already interested enough to subscribe to you. It's basically like spending extra time talking to reporters, except the audience is smaller unless a major news outlet decides to report on your tweet- which is likely to be less impressive sounding than your typical soundbites.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 11:46:01 AM
And Tweets will only be read by people already interested enough to subscribe to you. It's basically like spending extra time talking to reporters, except the audience is smaller unless a major news outlet decides to report on your tweet- which is likely to be less impressive sounding than your typical soundbites.
I don't see it as a negative (for politicians anyway).  Today's politics are all about keeping the base fired up, tweeting them a bone or two is a necessity.  If it wasn't for Twitter, Sarah Palin would already be forgotten (which she shouldn't be, she should be kept in memory as a warning).

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2011, 11:38:05 AM
Aren't most tweeters young? They aren't really a key voting segment.

The sorts of tweeters who follow politicians are probably a key voting segment...or at the very least the kinds of people who will volunteer to work on your campaign.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on May 31, 2011, 11:47:41 AM
I don't see it as a negative (for politicians anyway). 

If you're talking to an actual reporter, there's a high likelihood whatever you say is going to get an audience. If you're tweeting, you're less likely to get that audience unless you say something outlandish. The risk/reward isn't as good. That being said, it can also be a helpful tool if you're careful about what you say.

As for Palin, every time I see one of her tweets I'm less inclined to support her for President. It's certainly been beneficial for her celebrity status however.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 12:02:36 PM

As for Palin, every time I see one of her tweets I'm less inclined to support her for President. It's certainly been beneficial for her celebrity status however.

Well, Palin does have one good thing going for her.  If you elect her, it's unlikely she'll serve the full term.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 12:58:09 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 12:02:36 PM

Well, Palin does have one good thing going for her.  If you elect her, it's unlikely she'll serve the full term.
:XD:

Martinus

Slow news day? This is somewhat embarrassing but he didn't even tweet his naked junk, just boxers.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2011, 02:20:03 AM
Slow news day? This is somewhat embarrassing but he didn't even tweet his naked junk, just boxers.
:yeahright:

jimmy olsen

Don't most politicians have staffers tweet for them rather than tweet themselves.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Weiner going to treatment center. Pelosi called for him to resign. :lol: