News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Culture clash complicates China's Brazil push

Started by citizen k, May 28, 2011, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Chinese do not want change. Last time they got rid of the regime they got decades of civil war followed by a Communist takeover. No one wants that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2011, 01:27:44 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 29, 2011, 02:46:05 AMI get the impression that Koreans are probably a little more laid back than Chinese.

What do you base that on?

Mass media.  So really, not much.  :P

But then, I figure if you're a mostly free society and not a communist society, you gotta be at least a little more laid back.

Monoriu

My impression is that Chinese, Japanese and (South) Koreans all work very long hours. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2011, 05:11:48 AM
My impression is that Chinese, Japanese and (South) Koreans all work very long hours.
Koreans work tons of hours, but from my friend who worked in both says that the Japanese somehow managed to work more (and were much more productive).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2011, 01:10:12 AM
I don't think China will come anywhere close to dominating the world.  That's not desirable, not practical, and frankly meaningless.  The real risk to you guys, is China engaging in a race to the bottom in terms of labour and environmental practices, dragging everybody else down :contract:
Why?  They won't be dragging us down.  The second that China starts to negatively affect our standard of living, rather than propping it up, there would be an embargo.

It's the rest of the Third World that would suffer.  And Poland.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2011, 02:28:06 PM
Why?  They won't be dragging us down.  The second that China starts to negatively affect our standard of living, rather than propping it up, there would be an embargo.

It probably won't be as clear cut as all that. For some people the standard of living will increase, for others it won't. There'll always be some people able to profit from a race to the bottom.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2011, 06:39:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2011, 02:28:06 PM

It probably won't be as clear cut as all that. For some people the standard of living will increase, for others it won't. There'll always be some people able to profit from a race to the bottom.
Perhaps, but it's a matter of how many, and do they live in swing states.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2011, 05:11:48 AM

True, but most of those hours also include going drinking with the boss :contract:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help