Zuckerberg goes on a diet: Only meat he eats is what he kills

Started by garbon, May 29, 2011, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Hey! I did that last week. Killed 2 lobsters, they were pretty good too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2011, 09:35:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2011, 09:21:28 PM
At the risk of taking up for Zuckerberg... I think many of us would be uncomfortable killing all the animals we eat; especially those of us that eat meat almost every meal. If he wants to do this exercise on some sort of personal quest to understand food ethics, why not? He is a 20 something billionaire. He has to do something wtih his time, and this is better than having professional video crews put together films of you doing jet ski stunts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7OYLWHtCDk
The problems are, firstly, that he's not special--the ninety billion dumbest, meanest people who ever lived knew how to kill animals with their own efforts--and secondly, it seems like he's fetishized a disturbing practice in an effort to subvert the obvious moral problem he has with it.
I don't think ninety billion people have ever lived. :hmm:

EDIT: And I would be wrong.

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on May 30, 2011, 12:47:34 AM
At the risk of taking up for Zuckerberg... I think many of us would be uncomfortable killing all the animals we eat; especially those of us that eat meat almost every meal. If he wants to do this exercise on some sort of personal quest to understand food ethics, why not? He is a 20 something billionaire. He has to do something wtih his time, and this is better than having professional video crews put together films of you doing jet ski stunts.

He shouldn't do it because it is ridiculously retarded. First of all, he is taking job from people who do this for a living. Second, if he has a problem with eating meat, then slaughtering animals after he whispers sweet nothings to them is hardly the right way to do it. Third, it is creepy.

Besides, this is extremely inconsistent with the way we already operate as a species/culture. If he is doing that, why not also slaughter each animal that becomes his leather jacket, or personally extract the oil for his car by watching the destruction it brings to the local ecosystems (I think he should only drive on petroleum he sponges out of a drenched pelican or something  :rolleyes: ). He should only eat eggs from chickens he personally raises (the industrial chicken farms are a nightmare much worse than a slaughter house), and only drink water from a well he personally dug up (I'm willing to bet he drinks the one flown on planes from fiji).

In short, it is an idiotic and inconsistent affectation of a hipster.

First, he isn't taking jobs from anyone. He is almost certainly making the slaughter process less efficient, creating more work.

Second, he is just a really rich 20 something that has no need to work and can do virtually any whims that come to him. So this year he has decided to slaughter his own meat. That is a minor inconveniance, but doesn't interfere with his other ambitions. Doing all the things you mention would. He can do just one or two without changing his lifcestyle too much. This one doesn't hurt anyone. So who cares?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Wait a minute.  Martinus is talking about idiotic hipster affectations?

:boggle:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

It's better than trying to climb Mt. Everest while your wife is giving birth to your child.

Maximus

I don't mind the killing. I don't care so much for butchering. I don't care for the feel of raw meat. I really dislike the sound and feel of cutting through bone and tendons. And the smell of viscera really turns my stomach.

Doesn't matter though.  A major part of civilization is paying people to do stuff you can't/don't want to/don't have time to do.

Razgovory

If the guy wants to be an eccentric who cares?  I don't know why someone would want to do this, seems like a lot of unnecessary work, but the guy is a billionaire.  It's probably not that much different then when local hunters field dress a deer.  I know lots of people who've done that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017