News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pride of Nations

Started by Tamas, May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2011, 12:34:18 PM
The B screen is set to buy "10" though - and i haven't figured out how to change that.
Also for imports where there is competition I try to target area with good relations or where I have a competitive advantage in merchant shipping points.

I use the B screen only to see an expected balance sheet in a blink of an eye, by type of goods. F4 for setting allocation for domestic market and T for international trading is good enough for me.

On the T screen, single-clicking increases by 1, SHIFT-clicking does it by 10, and CTRL-clicking switches all your stock.

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2011, 12:27:11 PM
You should have sufficient resources to build a machine part shop on the first turn.
Yeah, after I installed the most recent beta, I started a new campaign and that was literally my first action.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2011, 12:34:18 PM
The B screen is set to buy "10" though - and i haven't figured out how to change that.
Also for imports where there is competition I try to target area with good relations or where I have a competitive advantage in merchant shipping points.
I don't think you can change the B screen totals.  The game automatically chooses to import from where you have the highest chance of success, as far as I can tell.  There certainly will be cases where you want to target imports through the T screen, of course, but for me this is the exception.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

4th Virginia

Quote from: Grallon on June 25, 2011, 07:44:42 PM
Things were made clearer thanks to Grumbler's instructions.  However I'm still losing manufacturing parts - even though I'm telling (or trying to tell) the global market to *buy* 'manufactured goods' - not to sell them.

I do hate these confused games where one thing means another and its opposite depending on which display panel you find yourself looking at.

Oh an pressing "t" - or "T"-  or SHIFT "T" - or SHIFTT "t" -  or Control "T" - or CTRL "t" - or ALT "T" - or ALT "t" - will bring the trading screen - or not - depending on... I don't know what.  I've tried all combinations under various settings - to no avail.  An then it will appear... Most aggravating  <_<

G.

The most important thing you can do with regard to manufactured goods is click the F4 screen and set your internal market consumption to the lowest setting possible, 5%.  This is done by right clicking on the mfg icon on line 4.  You save on average 3-4 goods per turn.   Managing how many resources go to the internal market is important if your market is buying at less than 100%.  Adjusting can make significant amounts of money. 

Also, balance of trade is a misnomer in PON.  Everything you import, if its not being used in your factories, should be sold to your internal market.  Luxury goods, especially.  You lose nothing by buying 5 luxuries so long as you sell all 5 to your internal market.  In fact, you gain corporate tax, excise tax and maritime taxes by importing and selling internally.  You also give funds to the selling country who will in turn build and buy more.  The worst thing you can do is stop buying from the WM.

Habbaku

Quote from: 4th Virginia on June 28, 2011, 09:55:09 PM
Quote from: 4th Virginia on June 28, 2011, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: Grallon on June 25, 2011, 07:44:42 PM
Things were made clearer thanks to Grumbler's instructions.  However I'm still losing manufacturing parts - even though I'm telling (or trying to tell) the global market to *buy* 'manufactured goods' - not to sell them.

I do hate these confused games where one thing means another and its opposite depending on which display panel you find yourself looking at.

Oh an pressing "t" - or "T"-  or SHIFT "T" - or SHIFTT "t" -  or Control "T" - or CTRL "t" - or ALT "T" - or ALT "t" - will bring the trading screen - or not - depending on... I don't know what.  I've tried all combinations under various settings - to no avail.  An then it will appear... Most aggravating  <_<

G.

The most important thing you can do with regard to manufactured goods is click the F4 screen and set your internal market consumption to the lowest setting possible, 5%.  This is done by right clicking on the mfg icon on line 4.  You save on average 3-4 goods per turn.   Managing how many resources go to the internal market is important if your market is buying at less than 100%.  Adjusting can make significant amounts of money, especially if you up the supply on more expensive goods and turn it down on the cheaper stuff.

Also, balance of trade is a misnomer in PON.  Everything you import, if its not being used in your factories, should be sold to your internal market.  Luxury goods, especially.  You lose nothing by buying 5 luxuries so long as you sell all 5 to your internal market.  In fact, you gain corporate tax, excise tax and maritime taxes by importing and selling internally.  You also give funds to the selling country who will in turn build and buy more.  The worst thing you can do is stop buying from the WM.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grallon

The most important thing you can do with regard to manufactured goods is click the F4 screen and set your internal market consumption to the lowest setting possible, 5%.  This is done by right clicking on the mfg icon on line 4.  You save on average 3-4 goods per turn.   Managing how many resources go to the internal market is important if your market is buying at less than 100%.  Adjusting can make significant amounts of money. 

Yet whenever I do this I get a msg at the beginning of next turn that 'the private sector hasn't made enough profits so they raised their prices and consequently inflation went up 1%".  I'm at 5% now.  No idea how to reduce it - although it doesn't seem to have any effect that I can see.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Drakken

Quote from: Grallon on June 29, 2011, 03:12:18 PM

Yet whenever I do this I get a msg at the beginning of next turn that 'the private sector hasn't made enough profits so they raised their prices and consequently inflation went up 1%".  I'm at 5% now.  No idea how to reduce it - although it doesn't seem to have any effect that I can see.

G.

Inflation rises the cost in everything.

You spend too much Private Capital, going under the margin needed to maintain your industries/production venues. So industrialists pull the needed money out of their pockets, and cause inflation due to the raise in prices to compensate.

When you spend your Private Capital, keep in mind how much it costs to maintain your industries and never spend below that.

Drakken

So, when the game gets patched good, are we gonna make a monster Languish MP game?

Habbaku

Sure.  Then somewhere around turn 3, Tamas will "forget" to send a file and it'll stall.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

The big thing that worries me, though, is that the player playing the UK is gonna run amok and ruin it all because he will be so insanely powerful.

Habbaku

:hmm:  Will he be that powerful, though?  Seems to me that, especially in a human-player MP game, it'd be easy to counter-balance whatever superpowers pop up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

4th Virginia

Quote from: Grallon on June 29, 2011, 03:12:18 PM

G.

Rule of thumb is that you need to keep enough private capital in your reserve to cover your structure costs for the next turn.  IIRC, the way private capital is calculated is that reserves at the end of the turn are then deducted by structure costs, then deducted by foreign purchases, then added by foreign sales then added by domestic market sales. 

Inflation can be reduced by spending state money on economic decisions like subsidizing coal, steel and manufactured goods.  1% inflation reduction for each of those decisions.  They cost 200 state money per time used and give you a few of the subsidized goods.

Razgovory

So sayeth the tits of wisdom.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 08:54:31 AM
So sayeth the tits of wisdom.
I think that avatar is an excellent choice for Virginia, since she wants to distinguish herself from the first three posters named Virginia. :cheers:

I think we can just call her Virginia, though, since the others don't post anymore.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!