Joplin Missouri Obliterated By Tornado, Over 150 Dead

Started by jimmy olsen, May 23, 2011, 05:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

The tornadoes came down far enough away from me, in the south central part of the state but there were tornado warnings in my county, in eastern Mass, as the storms moved eastward to the ocean. So I was keeping a watch on the news and weather, which were monitoring things. Tornadoes are very rare here, but I wanted to keep up on what was going on, just in case!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on June 02, 2011, 01:52:50 PM
The tornadoes came down far enough away from me, in the south central part of the state but there were tornado warnings in my county, in eastern Mass, as the storms moved eastward to the ocean. So I was keeping a watch on the news and weather, which were monitoring things. Tornadoes are very rare here, but I wanted to keep up on what was going on, just in case!
Yeah, really rare. Not counting those spawned by the rare hurricane, I think I only remember one tornado warning in the whole 25 years I lived in RI.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

When I was a kid living outside of Philadelphia a tornado touched down in my elementary school courtyard. :wacko:  It was only one of those weak-ass EF0 tornadoes, though.  I think like one window was broken and some bushes were uprooted.

Anyway, that's the only tornado I can remember from my childhood, not counting the monster wedge tornado I saw in Houston when I was in high school.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I'm sure the news up there is reminding everyone ad nauseum about the monster 1952 Worcester tornado, right?

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2011, 06:56:36 AM
I'm sure the news up there is reminding everyone ad nauseum about the monster 1952 Worcester tornado, right?
Yep, that tornado has been mentioned more than a few times!

KRonn

jamesww

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2011, 03:42:14 PM
Quote from: jamesww on June 03, 2011, 03:37:38 PM
And over here.  :bowler:

I thought y'all pronounced the R.

I think it'll depend on the local dialect or personal preference.

With my own accent, there's very little difference between saying ....sta and pronouncing the end 'r'.

katmai

Tornado death toll in Alaska: 0

Take that you midwestern bitches!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on June 03, 2011, 02:10:16 PM
Yeah, Worcester, or as known around here, Woosta!   :D
To me it always sounded more like "Wuhstuh". :contract:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2011, 06:55:16 AM
When I was a kid living outside of Philadelphia a tornado touched down in my elementary school courtyard. :wacko:  It was only one of those weak-ass EF0 tornadoes, though.  I think like one window was broken and some bushes were uprooted.

Anyway, that's the only tornado I can remember from my childhood, not counting the monster wedge tornado I saw in Houston when I was in high school.

When I was a kid, tornado tore the siding off the house.  Uprooted a bunch of trees as well, but I don't think it killed anyone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017