News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Ending Tomorrow

Started by Eddie Teach, May 20, 2011, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I saw an interview earlier with the guy who paid $140,000 for all of the advertisements in NYC.  He's not a rich guy, just some fool who blew his entire life's savings on those billboards... and he's seriously creepy--like child-molester levels of creepy. :yuk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

Quote"I was hoping for it because I think heaven would be a lot better than this Earth," said Mr Bauer, a tractor-trailer driver, who took the week off work for the voyage.

:D

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 22, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
I saw an interview earlier with the guy who paid $140,000 for all of the advertisements in NYC.  He's not a rich guy, just some fool who blew his entire life's savings on those billboards... and he's seriously creepy--like child-molester levels of creepy. :yuk:

Evolution in action.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2011, 10:59:53 AM
Quote"We are here because we care about these people," the newspaper quoted James Bynum, a church deacon, as saying. "It's easy to mock them. But you can go kick puppies, too. But why?"

Except that these people aren't like puppies.  They are adult afforded a lot of rights included the right to vote for hateful legislation and to raise children.

They are like human eating puppies with rabies.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2011, 04:41:43 PM
Quote"We are here because we care about these people," the newspaper quoted James Bynum, a church deacon, as saying. "It's easy to mock them. But you can go kick puppies, too. But why?"

Except that these people aren't like puppies.  They are adult afforded a lot of rights included the right to vote for hateful legislation and to raise children.

Or gay Poles trying to start a relationship with people with AIDs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2011, 07:00:22 PM

Ouf, even for me that one was cold Raz. Damn boy.

Caliga

Ah ok, that makes sense... and I think takes care of a couple of squares on Syt's bingo chart at once. :)

QuoteRadio host says Rapture actually coming in October
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — California preacher Harold Camping said Monday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on Oct. 21.

Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before the Earth was destroyed, said he felt so terrible when his doomsday prediction did not come true that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife. His independent ministry, Family Radio International, spent millions — some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

But Camping said that he's now realized the apocalypse will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted. He had earlier said Oct. 21 was when the globe would be consumed by a fireball.

Saturday was "an invisible judgment day" in which a spiritual judgment took place, he said. But the timing and the structure is the same as it has always been, he said.

"We've always said May 21 was the day, but we didn't understand altogether the spiritual meaning," he said. "May 21 is the day that Christ came and put the world under judgment."

It's not the first time the independent Christian radio host has been forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. He also predicted the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said it didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

Rather than give his normal daily broadcast on Monday, Camping made a special statement before the press at the Oakland headquarters of the media empire that has broadcast his message. His show, "Open Forum," has for months headlined his doomsday message via the group's radio stations, TV channels, satellite broadcasts and website.

When the Rapture didn't arrive Saturday, crestfallen followers began turning their attention to more earthly concerns.

Jeff Hopkins had figured the gas money he spent driving back and forth from Long Island to New York City would be worth it, as long as people could see the ominous sign atop his car warning that the End of the World was nigh.

"I've been mocked and scoffed and cursed at and I've been through a lot with this lighted sign on top of my car," said Hopkins, 52, a former television producer who lives in Great River, NY. "I was doing what I've been instructed to do through the Bible, but now I've been stymied. It's like getting slapped in the face."

Camping said Family Radio would never tell anyone what they should do with their possessions.
"That is between them and God," he said.

But he said he wouldn't give away all his possessions ahead of Oct 21.

"I still have to live in a house, I still have to drive a car," he said. "What would be the value of that? If it is Judgment Day why would I give it away?"

Apocalyptic thinking has always been part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the end of the world vary dramatically — even within faith traditions — about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.
Tim LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling "Left Behind" novels about the end times, recently called Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but 100 percent wrong!" He cited the Bible verse Matthew 24:36, "but about that day or hour no one knows" except God.

"While it may be in the near future, many signs of our times certainly indicate so, but anyone who thinks they 'know' the day and the hour is flat out wrong," LaHaye wrote on his website, leftbehind.com.

In 2009, the nonprofit Family Radio reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on May 22, 2011, 08:21:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2011, 07:00:22 PM

Ouf, even for me that one was cold Raz. Damn boy.

Not really. I've had relationships with people who have HIV.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, what a cool response. Didn't expect him to make another prediction for this year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

For people who take the Bible literally they sure see lots of stuff that is not literally in the text.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 24, 2011, 11:36:10 AM
For people who take the Bible literally they sure see lots of stuff that is not literally in the text.
It seems to me like most people who "take the Bible literally" rely on someone else to interpret it for them, rather than reading and comprehending it on their own.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2011, 11:32:29 AM
Btw, what a cool response. Didn't expect him to make another prediction for this year.
Maybe he's hoping that he'll die before October?  That was probably his thinking before he threw the first 2011 date out there... then when he found himself still alive as it approached he was like OH SHI

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 24, 2011, 11:50:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 24, 2011, 11:36:10 AM
It seems to me like most people who "take the Bible literally" rely on someone else to interpret it for them, rather than reading and comprehending it on their own.
I think it's rather that people who take the Bible literally are almost always too stupid to actually be literate.

Octavian

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2011, 04:06:07 PM
I'm beginning to wonder which is worse, the suckers who believed this shit and spent their life savings or the utter doucheiness of the atheists on the internet.

So far, the atheists are winning.
:yes:
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee