The Obama "To Make Important Middle East Speech" MEGATHREAD

Started by citizen k, May 19, 2011, 10:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

There is nothing new in the speech re Israel/Palestine, it is just reaffermation of previous positions.

What is new, is Bibi's rejectionist stance. There can be no peace progress with Bibi in charge, since he'll just find ways to reject everything.   

Mind you, any progress at all appears unlikely these days, given the recent PA-Hamas amalgamation - with Hamas insisting as a condition that there be no backing down from its 'kill everyone in Israel' policy.

It's going to be hard to get any negotiations going with Bibi on one end, and a Hamas-dominated PA on the other. Obama's speech is whistling in the wind - until, that is, those two problems (Bibi and Hamas/PA) are solved. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2011, 09:14:52 AM
What the gypsy said.  A serious peace proposal has to include both the return of land captured in 67 and some sort of security guarantees for Israel (plus some sugar daddy paying off the 48ers).

Thanks for agreeing with me, gook.

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on May 20, 2011, 08:53:45 AM
That said, retreating from anywhere seems like fucked up silly idea from Israel's POV. All their Gaza pullout ever established was giving a playground and missile silo to Hamas, and even if the leaders make peace, the dirt-poor palestinians will look at the territory of Israel as their birthright and only salvation for centuries to come.
I saw President Obama in another speech, I think it was his first Mid East speech. In that he said just the opposite, that Israel going back to the 1967 borders was not an option, that they should keep their capitol in Jersualem, etc. So this latest speech appears to be going back on that?

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2011, 09:15:11 AM
It's going to be hard to get any negotiations going with Bibi on one end, and a Hamas-dominated PA on the other. Obama's speech is whistling in the wind - until, that is, those two problems (Bibi and Hamas/PA) are solved.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on May 20, 2011, 09:22:58 AM
you started it!

Why are you angry?  I was just clarifying that I'm a half breed, not a gook.  And stealing horses is like breathing to you people.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2011, 09:26:34 AM
you started it!

Why are you angry?  I was just clarifying that I'm a half breed, not a gook.  And stealing horses is like breathing to you people.

:rolleyes:

derspiess

What the gypsy said.  A serious peace proposal has to include both the return of land captured in 67 and some sort of security guarantees for Israel (plus some sugar daddy paying off the 48ers).

Wait, so we finally found a foreign policy item on which you have some disagreement with the Obama administration? :o

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

you started it!

Is demi-gook the appropriate label, then?  Or Gawkeye?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2011, 09:52:24 AM
you started it!

Is demi-gook the appropriate label, then?  Or Gawkeye?  :unsure:

I would have thought "Far Eastern Elvis" :elvis:

;)

Neil

Watching the ultra-right go apeshit over nothing is amusing.  Siegebreaker should be good for a laugh.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Yep.  And even if this were offered and guaranteed, domestic politics on one side or both might still make it impossible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!