The Obama "To Make Important Middle East Speech" MEGATHREAD

Started by citizen k, May 19, 2011, 10:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Anyone want to talk about Obama "throwing Israel under the bus"?
'67 border, yea or nay?
Syria, still too soft?
Bahrain, just right?

LaCroix

improves relations with some middle eastern countries while hurting relations with a country that cannot afford to cut ties with us? i think that works

edit: didn't watch it, fyi. just going off the op

jimmy olsen

Quote from: citizen k on May 19, 2011, 10:35:06 PM
Anyone want to talk about Obama "throwing Israel under the bus"?
'67 border, yea or nay?
Nay. Not gonna happen. Israel will hold onto Jerusalem or get destroyed. So why poison dialogue with the Israelis by putting it forth?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

So he's stating what American policy towards Israel in regard to the Palestinian issue has been for decades?  The only people shocked by this are idiots.

Any talk about the Middle East Peace is pointless right now.  The Palestinian government couldn't abide by an agreement even if they wanted to.  Hell, it's not clear who to negotiate with anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on May 19, 2011, 11:04:09 PM
So he's stating what American policy towards Israel in regard to the Palestinian issue has been for decades?  The only people shocked by this are idiots.

Any talk about the Middle East Peace is pointless right now.  The Palestinian government couldn't abide by an agreement even if they wanted to.  Hell, it's not clear who to negotiate with anymore.

:yes:
And Bibi doesn't want to negotiate.

EDIT: I really hope this doesn't signal any significant efforts at Israeli-Palestinian peace talks. It'd be a complete waste of time and effort.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josephus

Meanwhile the Simon Wiesenthal Center said Obama's plan calls for a return to Israel's "1967 Auschwitz borders."

Way to play the Holocaust card. I don't even know what that means.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2011, 07:53:07 AM
Meanwhile the Simon Wiesenthal Center said Obama's plan calls for a return to Israel's "1967 Auschwitz borders."

:bleeding:

Berkut

Wow, you know, it isn't hard to play the Holocaust card effectively.

You just have to talk about the unique need for Jewish security or something. Coming right out and dropping "Auschwitz" is really ineffective.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

It means the horror of having all the fanatical settlers returning to Tel Aviv would be equivalent to the trauma of Auschwitz.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2011, 08:05:41 AM
Wow, you know, it isn't hard to play the Holocaust card effectively.

You just have to talk about the unique need for Jewish security or something. Coming right out and dropping "Auschwitz" is really ineffective.
What it means is that Israel's position both as a religiously-defined nation and as an occupier of non-national territory cannot be rationally defended, so they will do so irrationally.

Didn't know the Wiesenthal Center people read languish, but they have picked up the typical languishite "debate" style almost perfectly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Should be renamed the "1967 You-Killed-Baby-Jesus border" since we're just throughing out random emotionally laden words.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

That said, retreating from anywhere seems like fucked up silly idea from Israel's POV. All their Gaza pullout ever established was giving a playground and missile silo to Hamas, and even if the leaders make peace, the dirt-poor palestinians will look at the territory of Israel as their birthright and only salvation for centuries to come.

Admiral Yi

What the gypsy said.  A serious peace proposal has to include both the return of land captured in 67 and some sort of security guarantees for Israel (plus some sugar daddy paying off the 48ers).