Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2011, 12:05:29 AM
Quote from: Cecil on August 01, 2011, 12:03:13 AM
Wut?

American association of retired people or something?

Yup.

Alright thanks.

No I didnt google it beforehand, merely a guess.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on August 01, 2011, 12:05:44 AM
That's waht AARP means, not sure waht Yi meant though.

Did you read Yakie's link?  Social Security and Medicare don't get touched.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2011, 12:14:28 AM

I hadn't when I posted that.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 12:04:46 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 31, 2011, 11:26:04 PM
So for whom is this a victory?

Who do you think?  Tebaggers and Berkut, and everyone else who hates the concept of a black man in the White House.

There's been so much back and forth and so much posturing that it's hard to tell.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2011, 12:14:28 AM

Don't get touched means an overwhelming victory?  :lol: You crazy GOPers.

RAISE YOUR GODDAMN FUCKING TAXES ALREADY.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on August 01, 2011, 12:51:17 AM
Don't get touched means an overwhelming victory?  :lol: You crazy GOPers.

RAISE YOUR GODDAMN FUCKING TAXES ALREADY.

Damn good point.

Tamas

Without trying to reignite that pointless debate, I would like to point out that the DGuller vs. Berkut match was as a good indication as any that indeed the US political life has escalated so much that stances on issues like imminent bankrupcy have become a matter of political faith and bandwagons.

The Tea Party position of a kind of totally needless shock terapy is retarded and borders on treason (in terms of how they attempt to held the country at hostage without compromise), but stuff like dissing Berkut as "drinking the conservative cool aid" for pointing out that deficit is a huge issue is not exactly wise either.

When you guys have to take huge loans every half year just to stay afloat, then deficit IS a big problem, and the problem does not go away just because right-wing retards try to push through retarded solutions to it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2011, 12:35:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 12:04:46 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 31, 2011, 11:26:04 PM
So for whom is this a victory?

Who do you think?  Tebaggers and Berkut, and everyone else who hates the concept of a black man in the White House.

There's been so much back and forth and so much posturing that it's hard to tell.

The Teabaggers managed to make a procedural issue become the Line of Death, holding the US and the world's economy hostage. TEABAGGERY = EMPOW3RED.
Wait until something really important comes up, like flag burning or family values.

Razgovory

I wonder what would have happened if Democrats had dome something similar back in 2007 about the war. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2011, 04:36:54 AM
I wonder what would have happened if Democrats had dome something similar back in 2007 about the war.

Then the White House and both houses of Congress would be GOP right now.  Political criticism about any war is = communist anti-Americanism.  You know that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2011, 04:36:54 AM

They tried, several times.  First they passed a supplemental appropriation for Iraq and Afghanistan that would have required all US combat troops to leave Iraq in 18 months.  That would have been before the surge began, as McCain pointed out during the presidential debates.  Bush vetoed that bill.  Then they tried not passing any more supplemental appropriations.  Gates jiggled some funds for training and ammunition around to keep the war going.  Eventually the Democratic leadership came to a conclusion similar to Seedy's: if they didn't fund the war it was no longer going to be an unpopular war that Bush got us in to, it was going to be a war that the Democrats lost on purpose.  So they caved and passed the appropriations.

Razgovory

It never rose to crisis levels.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2011, 05:19:21 AM
It never rose to crisis levels.

well because in those cases, crisis would have been to do something. Which could be prevented by the veto.
Inaction, relative to what the dems wanted, was a form of solution.

In this case however, you can't veto a tea party "solution" because inaction equals disaster

Razgovory

Dems still had to pass a budget.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on August 01, 2011, 03:21:21 AM
Without trying to reignite that pointless debate, I would like to point out that the DGuller vs. Berkut match was as a good indication as any that indeed the US political life has escalated so much that stances on issues like imminent bankrupcy have become a matter of political faith and bandwagons.

The Tea Party position of a kind of totally needless shock terapy is retarded and borders on treason (in terms of how they attempt to held the country at hostage without compromise), but stuff like dissing Berkut as "drinking the conservative cool aid" for pointing out that deficit is a huge issue is not exactly wise either.

When you guys have to take huge loans every half year just to stay afloat, then deficit IS a big problem, and the problem does not go away just because right-wing retards try to push through retarded solutions to it.

Indeed. The funny part about that latest round is that my basic point was not that the Tea Baggers were right to do what they were doing, but simply that fiscal conservatives had good cause to be concerned about the debt level and spending, and that I had said that earlier.

Even the suggestion that the non-frothing liberals might have a point that is not motivated by them being utterly stupid or actively evil is enough to get DG/Seedy/Raz raving about what a complete asshole I must be, and no, there is no possible way the "others" can possibly have a legitimate stance.

After all, the fact that the feds are spending more now by their own data than ever before is simply a statistical fluke, and really should just be ignored.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned