News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 10:20:17 PM
So your chart that shows that as a share of GDP spending has increased by about 40% (from 18% to projected 25%+) since 1990 is supposed to prove...that they are exactly correct?
The chart shows that there is no clear increasing trend over the decades that you claim.  Over some periods it goes up, over other periods it goes down, with the long term trend being flat or almost flat.  I did not intend to make an argument using endpoint to endpoint comparison; for one it's just a numerically illiterate thing to do with a cyclical-looking data.

DGuller

The reality is actually that spending has been decreasing rather dramatically over the last 65 years, from 48% of GDP down to about 20%.  Here:

Admiral Yi

Golly, less than half of what we spent during WWII. :lol:

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2011, 10:23:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 10:20:17 PM
So your chart that shows that as a share of GDP spending has increased by about 40% (from 18% to projected 25%+) since 1990 is supposed to prove...that they are exactly correct?
The chart shows that there is no clear increasing trend over the decades that you claim. 

The chart shows that as a percentage of GDP the feds have increased spending by 40% over the last 20 years. How is that somehow not relevant to my point, which is that federal spending has increased dramatically over the last couple decades?

Sure, it goes up, and it goes down - but the trend that people are worried about, which is the trend over the last cycle, is a huge increase. How is that somehow not relevant to what people care about RIGHT NOW?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

It is amazing that you have posted a chart to show that spending as a percentage of the GDP is at an all time high since WW2 and 40% higher than the low point since then in an effort to show that concerns about federal spending are "a falsehood".

I mean, what would we have to spend for concerns about spending to be legitimate? 50% more than the low? 100%? 200%?

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2011, 10:30:49 PM
The reality is actually that spending has been decreasing rather dramatically over the last 65 years, from 48% of GDP down to about 20%.  Here:

Oh so the issue was that Berk was looking at the wrong endpoints and not that one shouldn't compare endpoints. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

This is really baffling.

If spending goes up and down as DG claims, then shouldn't it be perfectly expected that people who care about spending would be alarmed when we reach a peak and will want to take action to stop that increase and try to drive spending back down?

I am truly at a loss here. DGs chart perfectly illustrates my point. I could not have come up with a better chart if I had just made up the numbers myself.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 11:23:38 PM

Oh so the issue was that Berk was looking at the wrong endpoints and not that one shouldn't compare endpoints. :)

Exactly.

It seems rather bizarre that DG would argue that looking at the previous low and comparing it to the current value would be somehow some terrible crime when talking about how much spending has increased over some period of time. Noting that the current high is higher than any other previous high seems kind of relevant as well.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 11:23:18 PM
It is amazing that you have posted a chart to show that spending as a percentage of the GDP is at an all time high since WW2 and 40% higher than the low point since then in an effort to show that concerns about federal spending are "a falsehood".
You're switching your assertions now.  Your assertion was that spending was steadily rising decade after decade.  It's that assertion that I'm calling BS on.  In fact, decade over decade, the trend was flat, with periodic upward or downward movements.

DGuller

Sigh.  The issue is that you shouldn't compare endpoints, because it's so easy to pick the convenient ones like Berkut did.  I hoped that my second graph would drive the point home, evidently wrongly.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 11:28:36 PM
This is really baffling.

If spending goes up and down as DG claims, then shouldn't it be perfectly expected that people who care about spending would be alarmed when we reach a peak and will want to take action to stop that increase and try to drive spending back down?

I am truly at a loss here. DGs chart perfectly illustrates my point. I could not have come up with a better chart if I had just made up the numbers myself.
It illustrates the point that you made up after I posted the chart.  It does not illustrate the point to which I responded, in fact it refutes it.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2011, 11:50:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 11:28:36 PM
This is really baffling.

It illustrates the point that you made up after I posted the chart.  It does not illustrate the point to which I responded, in fact it refutes it.

Uhhh, the point that spending has increased over the last few decades? No, it confirms that point rather nicely.
It might refute some other point that I haven't made, but even you don't seem to know what that point might be.

I think I have a pretty good idea what my point was, and appreciate you posting the chart to prove it for me. Why you would claim this shows that conservatives are liars is beyond me, except perhaps to illustrate how partisan you are and ready to get all worked up over those damn purple drazi. Again.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2011, 11:48:37 PM

Sigh.  The issue is that you shouldn't compare endpoints, because it's so easy to pick the convenient ones like Berkut did.  I hoped that my second graph would drive the point home, evidently wrongly.

Indeed. Don't really see it as a good refutation 1) because I didn't understand it at first (blame the medium of the typed word I guess) and 2) because it fails to address how people will be concerned about trends over the "short" term - other than to say "don't worry about it."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2011, 11:48:37 PM

So comparing the previous low to the current value is "picking convenient endpoints" when talking about how much spending has increased?

Huh? Today is not a "convenient endpoint" when talking about politics TODAY. And the previous low spending point is certainly a rather convenient point when talking about how much spending has increased over the last couple decades. So convenient in fact that it makes rather perfect sense to show why people are concerned about spending.

Now, picking WW2 as an endpoint, THAT is a pretty good example of incredibly terrible data analysis. Why you would think that would fly is rather beyond me. Last I checekd, we were not curerntly involved in the greatest war in human history driving spending in a rather exceptional circumstance.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2011, 12:03:49 AM
Now, picking WW2 as an endpoint, THAT is a pretty good example of incredibly terrible data analysis. Why you would think that would fly is rather beyond me. Last I checekd, we were not curerntly involved in the greatest war in human history driving spending in a rather exceptional circumstance.

I think he chose WWII as an extreme example of picking a convenient endpoint in hopes of illustrating that you can't just choose endpoints that you like.