Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 08:40:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 08:35:15 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 08:32:00 AM
Sorry, garbs; can't fund the federal government at 1955 rates.  That's like bitching why we can't buy a gallon of milk for .15 anymore.

I didn't realize that our options were either that or wild spending spree. Silly me.

There's your Teabaggers' "Cut Cap and Balance" proposal for you in a nutshell.

My Teabaggers? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 09:02:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 08:40:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 08:35:15 AM
Sorry, garbs; can't fund the federal government at 1955 rates.  That's like bitching why we can't buy a gallon of milk for .15 anymore.

I didn't realize that our options were either that or wild spending spree. Silly me.

There's your Teabaggers' "Cut Cap and Balance" proposal for you in a nutshell.

My Teabaggers? :huh:

Yeah, your Teabaggers, you GOP shill.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

What serious person signs pledges?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 08:13:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2011, 06:39:26 AM
I think most of the blame rests with the Republicans, however. As far as I understand, in the past, raising the debt limit was more or less a formality.

And look how wonderful that has been.

Maybe if the tax rates were at 1955 levels, you guys might have had a chance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Neil on July 30, 2011, 04:19:15 PM
I think most of the blame rests with the Republicans, however. As far as I understand, in the past, raising the debt limit was more or less a formality.

But then we'd have 1955 unemployment levels!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

They say you get the government you deserve, and that seems very true here.  We can't get something done here because the public doesn't have a consistent idea what they want Congress to do.  People want low taxes, government services and a balanced budget.  We are going to have to pick two.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 30, 2011, 05:09:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 30, 2011, 04:19:15 PM
But then we'd have 1955 unemployment levels!
Although to get there it would help if you'd adopt a 1955 attitude towards mainland China.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2011, 07:36:40 PM
We can't get something done here because the public doesn't have a consistent idea what they want Congress to do.

Don't worry, the public's got nothing to do with it anymore. 
I wonder if Congressmen will be allowed to wear brand ads soon, like NASCAR?

Berkut

You know, I said a long while back, right here on Languish, that the Tea Party's position on the debt and spending was ridiculous in the particular, but in fact reflected a very valid and rational position. Namely, that the size of the federal government has grown ridiculously over the last few decades, and they want it to stop. holding the economy hostage is a poor way of doing that perhaps, but on the other hand, it's not like anything else has worked. No matter who is in charge over the last couple decades, the mantra from Washington is SPENDSPENDSPENDSPENDSPENDSPEND and then spend some fucking more.

The economy is doing great! Awesome, we can spend more cash!

Holy shit, the economy has gone into the shitter! Whatever shall we do? The answer is: SPEND SOME MORE!

If things are good, we should spend, but if things get bad, why, we have to quit fucking around and REALLY SPEND!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2011, 10:00:36 PM
You know, I said a long while back, right here on Languish, that the Tea Party's position on the debt and spending was ridiculous in the particular, but in fact reflected a very valid and rational position. Namely, that the size of the federal government has grown ridiculously over the last few decades,

Don't believe everything you hear.  In fact, you can't go very wrong believing that everything conservatives say about the economy is a falsehood, because it usually is.

Berkut

So your chart that shows that as a share of GDP spending has increased by about 40% (from 18% to projected 25%+) since 1990 is supposed to prove...that they are exactly correct?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned