News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 05:11:45 AM
Prevent Republicans from holding office.  The first step in healing a wound is to remove what ever offending object caused it.

Word.  Current Republicanism has to be one of the worst cases of a mass disconnect with reality in American history since the Salem witch trials.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2011, 11:38:09 PM
At the very least we should put $1,000 in a money market account.
:D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2011, 02:25:24 PM

Debt limit aside, what would be your plan to deal with our budget deficit and outstanding debt?

Prevent Republicans from holding office.  The first step in healing a wound is to remove what ever offending object caused it.

Then what?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 08:21:36 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2011, 02:25:24 PM

Debt limit aside, what would be your plan to deal with our budget deficit and outstanding debt?

Then what?

Well, with most of the crazy people gone we can raise taxes and cut spending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 08:32:40 AM

That sounds like an awesome plan. 

Why do you think no one thought of this back in November of last year?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 08:37:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 08:32:40 AM

That sounds like an awesome plan. 

Why do you think no one thought of this back in November of last year?

Oh I'm sure everyone thought of it back in November. Getting rid of the stupid people just ain't easy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 27, 2011, 08:44:40 AM
Oh I'm sure everyone thought of it back in November. Getting rid of the stupid people just ain't easy.

The stupid people didn't get a majority in the House until January. :contract:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 08:46:41 AM

Oh. Democrats aren't as bright as we think they are?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 08:46:41 AM

There were still a lot of stupid people between 2008 and 2010.  You could spot them because they were going on about death panels and promised to block everything the President tried to do and were holding big rallies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 26, 2011, 08:36:14 PM
Default is really bad, but our default wouldn't be like a default in Argentina bad.

The markets seems to agree; treasuries keep gaining.  And one possible counterintuitive result of a default would be to switch on the "risk on" trade and boost treasuries even more.

But there is a little echo of Lehman here - the reason Paulson allowed them to fall was on what seemed to be the sound assumption that Lehman was not a central player in the international financial system and had no bank deposit money at risk.  What was not understood until too late what Lehman's deep interconnections with the "shadow" system - including debt they had placed with MM funds, their serial re-hypothetication of assets entrusted to their prime brokerage, and critically their counterparty relationships in huge complex webs of derivative and credit transactions.

The US Treasury securities market is the deepest, most liquid, most extensive market for securities that has ever existed in human history; it penetrates to every institution of significance in every corner of the globe.  Exactly how all these holders will react to even a technical default is unknown.  Many may hold tight, some may even buy.  But dome will dump; some will have to dump (by mandate); and some may choose to dump out of fear that if they wait and see first they could get trampled on the way to the exit.  Anyone that makes firm statements about what will happen or not happen IMO is fooling themselves, and the debt markets have been whistling in the dark by reacting to the news by bringing yields down.  Maybe nothing really bad happens; probably that is the likely result.  But there is real uncertainty, and a real risk of a nasty surprise.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 08:57:09 AM
There were still a lot of stupid people between 2008 and 2010.  You could spot them because they were going on about death panels and promised to block everything the President tried to do and were holding big rallies.

I see.  So the only thing holding the Democrats back from serious deficit reduction was Tea Party rallies and articles about death panels?

This whole time I thought the Democratic narrative until the Republicans threatened the debt limit was that the recovery was too fragile to consider deficit reduction at the moment but it was an awesome idea for the future.  I'm glad you cleared up my misconception Raz.

Admiral Yi

Joan, read an article in the FT a while back that enlightened me quite a bit on the composition of demand for Treasuries.  It may be old hat for you, but not something I had considered before.

As long as Treasuries are accepted as collateral for central bank lending and as Tier 1 capital, then demand could become divorced from standard notions of return/risk.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 09:06:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 08:57:09 AM

I see.  So the only thing holding the Democrats back from serious deficit reduction was Tea Party rallies and articles about death panels?

This whole time I thought the Democratic narrative until the Republicans threatened the debt limit was that the recovery was too fragile to consider deficit reduction at the moment but it was an awesome idea for the future.  I'm glad you cleared up my misconception Raz.

You seem to have missed the part where I wrote "promised to block everything the President tried to do", can't reduce the debt with assholes throwing wrenches in the whole process.  Nor should we trust the Republicans with the budget, after all they okay with the deficits at the time "Reagan proved deficits don't matter." -Dick Cheney

Razgovory

Interestedly most Republican voters don't want to raise the debt ceiling at all and don't want to compromise.  http://today.yougov.com/news/2011/07/08/77-agree-defaulting-debt-would-be-serious-economy-/