News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 24, 2011, 04:13:23 PM
Well, I was recently amused by Tim Geithner's comments on the disarray in the eurozone........pot and kettle?

More like pots and right wing nutter kettles.  I've got no problem with critiques of policy or process; I do with personalizing those critiques.

Can I assume this dude is a Lib-Dem?

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, he is a lib-dem. He's not taking to government very well, opposition is more his style.

grumbler

Well, I was recently amused by Tim Geithner's comments on the disarray in the eurozone........pot and kettle?
What did he say was true of Euro fiscal woes that he was pretending wasn't true of US fiscal woes?

Or is no one allowed to discuss fiscal woes without being guilty of pot and and kettle?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 03:58:38 PM
It sounds very similar to his old voice.  Except now he's finally dropped that assinine position about holding down the Chuck Schumer rates.

Chuck Schumer :wub:

citizen k

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 06:28:57 PM
What did he say was true of Euro fiscal woes that he was pretending wasn't true of US fiscal woes?

Or is no one allowed to discuss fiscal woes without being guilty of pot and and kettle?

QuoteEurope should step up debt crisis efforts: US
AFP Jul 18, 2011, 09.11pm IST

WASHINGTON: US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on Monday urged European Union leaders to step up efforts to contain contagion from debt troubles in certain eurozone countries.

"What Europe obviously needs to do is to work more forcefully to contain the risk of an escalating crisis in Europe," Geithner said in an interview with business television network CNBC.

EU leaders have taken a number of steps in the last two weeks "in that direction," he said, referring to action to avert a Greek debt default and stress tests on European banks, whose results were released Friday.

"Those things are all constructive, but the world needs to see the European leaders move now... to put in place those additional changes that would help contain the risk of a broader crisis," the Treasury secretary said.

"They have the capacity to manage this in a way that doesn't add to the broader burdens in the global economy, and of course we want them to do that."

CountDeMoney

Meh, once the Republicans let us drive over the cliff, I don't think "certain Eurozone countries" are going to be attention-getting problems as much anymore.

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on July 24, 2011, 06:38:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 06:28:57 PM

QuoteEurope should step up debt crisis efforts: US
AFP Jul 18, 2011, 09.11pm IST

WASHINGTON: US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on Monday urged European Union leaders to step up efforts to contain contagion from debt troubles in certain eurozone countries.

"What Europe obviously needs to do is to work more forcefully to contain the risk of an escalating crisis in Europe," Geithner said in an interview with business television network CNBC.

EU leaders have taken a number of steps in the last two weeks "in that direction," he said, referring to action to avert a Greek debt default and stress tests on European banks, whose results were released Friday.

"Those things are all constructive, but the world needs to see the European leaders move now... to put in place those additional changes that would help contain the risk of a broader crisis," the Treasury secretary said.

"They have the capacity to manage this in a way that doesn't add to the broader burdens in the global economy, and of course we want them to do that."
So he's saying the European political leaders should do what he says US political leaders should do:  head off crises.

That's not what "Pot and kettle" means.  "Pot calling the kettle black" means the pot is pretending that it isn't black, not that the pot is claiming that it is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 03:58:38 PM
It sounds very similar to his old voice.  Except now he's finally dropped that assinine position about holding down the Chuck Schumer rates.

Chuck Schumer :wub:
He's Caliga-approved.  :thumbsup:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2011, 07:06:29 PM
He is?

He must be confusing him with fellow New Yorker, Congressmen Jerrold Nadler.

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Now THAT is the way a true politician rolls.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Cantor to GOP: Stop whining and vote!

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) delivered a blunt message to the Republican Conference Tuesday morning: Quit the "grumbling" and "whining" and come together to rally behind Speaker John Boehner to pass his debt ceiling plan.

Cantor's heavy rhetoric came out in a closed session at the Capitol Hill Club as the GOP majority tried to whip up support for Boehner's latest deficit package. Cantor summed up what he knew many Republicans were thinking as they head into another critical vote.

"The debt limit vote sucks,"
he said, according to an attendee of the closed meeting. But Republicans have three options, Cantor said: risk default, pass Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-Nev.) plan — which he thinks gives President Barack Obama a blank check — or "call the president's bluff" by passing the Boehner plan, which not only cuts deeply into domestic spending but calls for a bipartisan commission to find more savings.

Cantor also announced that the House will hold a vote on a balanced budget amendment Thursday, a nod to vocal conservatives in the conference.

House Republican leaders will spend Tuesday and Wednesday cobbling together votes to pass Boehner's plan to hike the debt ceiling by $1 trillion and cut federal spending by a greater amount. Treasury says that the nation will run out of the ability to borrow money on Aug. 2.

Boehner told reporters after the closed meeting that his proposal, which he says is the product of bipartisan negotiations, "is enough" to quell market concerns about the debt ceiling.

Cantor, who has split with Boehner during this debate, reiterated a message he delivered to colleagues Monday, saying he is behind the speaker "150 percent."

Boehner, who is in an epic stare down with the president over the debt ceiling, said he stuck his neck out and needs 218 votes to get this bill passed into law. He got a standing ovation, according to sources present, and House Republican Conference Chair Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) played snippets of the prime time speech the speaker gave Monday night.

"It comes down to the people in this room," Boehner said, according to a source present. "It comes down to the willingness to stand together. This is the path to victory for the American people."

Rep. Jon Runyan (R-N.J.), a former professional football player for the Philadelphia Eagles, told the conference he is behind Boehner — a reassuring message from a 6-foot-7 former offensive tackle.

Yet another compromise, as we get down the road to accomplishing less and less in these proposals in order to make them palatable to more legislators. My money is still on something passing on the very last day.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

There's a defensive tackle behind the Boehner plan now? Well, I guess that settles it then.