News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It sounds very similar to his old voice.  Except now he's finally dropped that assinine position about holding down the Chuck Schumer rates.

Berkut

QuoteExplain to us how, Berkut, if your tax rate jumped from 28% to 31% you won't be able to buy groceries.

Why would I feel any need to explain that?

What I think is interesting is the argument that as long as a tax increase doesn't result in the welathy "not being able to buy groceries" there is nothing to be concerned about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Some day I hope to be welathy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: PDH on July 23, 2011, 08:56:10 PM

Someday I hope to marry a supermodel.
And have a spaceship.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

mongers

Vince Cable in attack on US 'right-wing nutters'
24 July 11 16:16

Vince Cable has attacked leading US Republican politicians for holding up a deal to reduce US government debt.

Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, the business secretary called them "a few right-wing nutters in the American Congress".

Unless a deal on Capitol Hill is agreed before 2 August, the US Treasury could run out of money to pay its bills.

Mr Cable said it presented a bigger risk to the global markets than the continuing debt woes in the eurozone.

rest of item here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/business-14267091
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Why should anyone in the US be concerned with what he thinks?  Does the UK often report what the Secretary of HUD thinks on British domestic matters?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2011, 06:16:55 PM
QuoteExplain to us how, Berkut, if your tax rate jumped from 28% to 31% you won't be able to buy groceries.

Why would I feel any need to explain that?

What I think is interesting is the argument that as long as a tax increase doesn't result in the welathy "not being able to buy groceries" there is nothing to be concerned about.

I don't understand why the fact that Seedy likes to give his money away in the form of taxes makes for a convincing argument about raising tax rates.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2011, 12:00:55 PM
I don't understand why the fact that Seedy likes to give his money away in the form of taxes makes for a convincing argument about raising tax rates.
And I don't understand why your deliberate misinterpretation of what Seedy says makes for a convincing argument that you are even interested in an intelligent debate on the topic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on July 23, 2011, 08:56:10 PM

Me too, then I'll vote Republican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 12:14:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2011, 12:00:55 PM
And I don't understand why your deliberate misinterpretation of what Seedy says makes for a convincing argument that you are even interested in an intelligent debate on the topic.

You're right. I should have said " I don't understand why the fact that Seedy is neutral on giving away his money in the form of taxes makes for a convincing argument about raising taxes rates."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2011, 12:36:05 PM
You're right. I should have said " I don't understand why the fact that Seedy is neutral on giving away his money in the form of taxes makes for a convincing argument about raising taxes rates."
What you should have said, if you read his actual post, was "I do understand why the fact that Seedy is willing to pay higher taxes makes for a convincing argument about raising taxes rates."  If the people who would be taxed are willing to pay the extra taxes, then the arguments against the taxes pretty much boil down to feeble arguments about how great US employment is because US taxes are so low.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 24, 2011, 11:55:50 AM
Why should anyone in the US be concerned with what he thinks?

I don't think we are; however, I think a lot of people in the UK is concerned about what he thinks, considering they--and the rest of the civilized world--have some interest in this game.

Richard Hakluyt

Why should anyone in the US be concerned with what he thinks?  Does the UK often report what the Secretary of HUD thinks on British domestic matters?

Well, I was recently amused by Tim Geithner's comments on the disarray in the eurozone........pot and kettle?

It seems likely or certain that most people don't give a toss about Vince Cable, Greece or even Tim Geithner............good for them................but unfortunately what these entities get up to are not merely domestic in their consequences.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 04:01:49 PM

I don't think we are; however, I think a lot of people in the UK is concerned about what he thinks, considering they--and the rest of the civilized world--have some interest in this game.

Yeah, it's like you're standing on the side-walk and you see a car heading towards a school crossing suddenly loose control, you want it to stop before it hits the more vulnerable members of society. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2011, 04:13:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 04:01:49 PM

Yeah, it's like you're standing on the side-walk and you see a car heading towards a school crossing suddenly loose control, you want if to stop before it hits the more vulnerable members of society.

Sorry, fellas.