News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 21, 2011, 05:09:46 PM
Something's happening. Boehner came out and made a statement but I don't know what it was. Saw it on tv in a restaurant.

And I heard that China --oh, wait, how does the meme go now :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

So a deal is imminent, but some Dems are rebelling this evening according to AC360.

BIG PLAN!

The chyron says: New Framework: Spending cuts now, new revenue later.

My guess is, very little new revenue, and cuts that never materialize.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Mr. Anti-Tax himself gave his blessing to axe the Bush tax cuts.

Faeelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2011, 08:49:58 AM

He backtracked. Boehner is now demanding the repeal of the mandate to support raising the debt ceiling.

Dance, Obama, dance!

Razgovory

I wonder if there are enough Republicans who are either sane enough or knowledgeable enough to actually raise the debt ceiling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 10:59:53 AM
I wonder if there are enough Republicans who are either sane enough or knowledgeable enough to actually raise the debt ceiling.

They'll wuss out, don't worry. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Faeelin on July 22, 2011, 10:42:07 AM

He backtracked. Boehner is now demanding the repeal of the mandate to support raising the debt ceiling.

Dance, Obama, dance!

They're getting new polling I think. Look at this:

25. Would you favor or oppose a constitutional amendment to require a balanced federal budget?
July 18-20
Favor 74%
Oppose 24%
No opinion 1%

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 11:20:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 10:59:53 AM

They'll wuss out, don't worry.

This is the same sort of "wuss out" as a suicide bomber who has second thoughts.  It honestly boggles the mind why some people want to do this.  Presumably they don't care if the economy collapses or have deluded themselves that anyone who isn't spouting conservative orthodoxy is a liar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 12:58:56 PM
This is the same sort of "wuss out" as a suicide bomber who has second thoughts.  It honestly boggles the mind why some people want to do this.  Presumably they don't care if the economy collapses or have deluded themselves that anyone who isn't spouting conservative orthodoxy is a liar.

Or they genuinely are convinced they personally would benefit from the disaster.

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 12:16:32 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 22, 2011, 10:42:07 AM

Dance, Obama, dance!

They're getting new polling I think. Look at this:

25. Would you favor or oppose a constitutional amendment to require a balanced federal budget?
July 18-20
Favor 74%
Oppose 24%
No opinion 1%

Now would 74% of the plebs support a balanced budge amendment if the pollster informs them that it would result in some combination of Medicare/SS cuts and tax increases?

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 01:02:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 12:58:56 PM

Or they genuinely are convinced they personally would benefit from the disaster.

Would they though? OK, let's say they get elected (and I'm not sure they will just because of this), but if they do they'll inherit an economic disaster and then must figure out how to fix what they broke without breaking their pledges of no tax hikes and balanced budgets.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fate on July 22, 2011, 01:19:30 PM

Now would 74% of the plebs support a balanced budge amendment if the pollster informs them that it would result in some combination of Medicare/SS cuts and tax increases?

That would be a loaded speculative question, so I don't think a good pollster would ask that. However, here's a relevant bit from the same poll:

24. Now I'm going to read you some of the specific proposals for cutting government spending and
increasing taxes that have been suggested as part of the discussions on the debt ceiling. For each
one, please tell me whether you favor or oppose that proposal as a way to reduce the amount that
the government owes. (RANDOM ORDER)

Favor Oppose No Opinion
Cutting federal subsidies to farmers 31% 66% 2%
Cutting pensions and benefits for retired government workers 30% 68% 2%
Cutting defense spending 47% 52% 1%
Cutting the amount the government spends on Medicaid, the federal health program for the poor 22% 77% *
Cutting the amount the government spends on Medicare, the federal health program for the elderly 12% 87% 1%
Cutting the amount the government spends on Social Security 16% 84% 1%
Increasing the taxes paid by oil and gas companies by ending federal subsidies for those businesses 73% 26% 1%
Increasing the taxes paid by businesses that own private jets 76% 23% *
Increasing the taxes paid by people who make more than 250 thousand dollars a year 73% 26% *

Grallon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan link=topic=5170.msg288037#msg288037

24. Now I'm going to read you some of the specific proposals for cutting government spending and
increasing taxes that have been suggested as part of the discussions on the debt ceiling. For each
one, please tell me whether you favor or oppose that proposal as a way to reduce the amount that
the government owes. (RANDOM ORDER)

Favor Oppose No Opinion
Cutting federal subsidies to farmers 31% 66% 2%
Cutting pensions and benefits for retired government workers 30% 68% 2%
Cutting defense spending 47% 52% 1%
Cutting the amount the government spends on Medicaid, the federal health program for the poor 22% 77% *
Cutting the amount the government spends on Medicare, the federal health program for the elderly 12% 87% 1%
Cutting the amount the government spends on Social Security 16% 84% 1%
Increasing the taxes paid by oil and gas companies by ending federal subsidies for those businesses 73% 26% 1%
Increasing the taxes paid by businesses that own private jets 76% 23% *
Increasing the taxes paid by people who make more than 250 thousand dollars a year 73% 26% *

Hmmm  so a majority oppose cuts to all the stated expenditures and a majority oppose any raises in taxes...

I think you guys are in a major rut. :mellow:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

Quote from: Grallon on July 22, 2011, 01:34:40 PM
Hmmm  so a majority oppose cuts to all the stated expenditures and a majority oppose any raises in taxes...

USA!  USA!  USA!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien