Activists to patrol Libyan seas for tuna poachers

Started by garbon, May 17, 2011, 11:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 11:45:11 AM
In any event, I've pretty much phased fish out of my diet--just the occasional sushi, and that's pretty rare. 

Punishment.

CountDeMoney

Fuck all you environment-haters.

I hope Sea Shepherd is allowed to have a NATO forward air controller.

Monoriu

There is only one good way to eat blue-fin tuna - raw :mmm:

I have mixed feelings about this.  Blue-fin tuna *is* the best, but they are hard to find and expensive.  And every time I eat it, I am somewhat worried that it'll be my last.  On one hand, I utterly detest environmentalists.  On the other hand, we have yet to find any way to make blue-fin tuna sustainable for the future. 

CountDeMoney

Why don't you ask all your evil little countrymen to help make all species sustainable?

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2011, 09:50:52 PM
Why don't you ask all your evil little countrymen to help make all species sustainable?
Preferably by killing themselves today.  And maybe the Russians too.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Huh.  If I have such powers, making all species sustainable would be among the last things that I think of  ;)

Ideologue

The PRChinese don't even care if the human species or their own subset of it is sustainable.  I can't imagine them caring about tuna when they ignore the fact that they've already pushed themselves into demographic, economic, and political collapse.  Again.  You'd think after thirty or forty times, a nation would learn.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 10:32:24 PM
The PRChinese don't even care if the human species or their own subset of it is sustainable.  I can't imagine them caring about tuna when they ignore the fact that they've already pushed themselves into demographic, economic, and political collapse.  Again.  You'd think after thirty or forty times, a nation would learn.

I guess they assumed that since the Manchus and Mongols are no longer a threat, they don't have anything to worry about.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

I can see you're no fan of the idea the 21st century will be a Chinese one. Elaborate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2011, 03:09:44 AM
I can see you're no fan of the idea the 21st century will be a Chinese one. Elaborate.

You want a list of why China won't surpass the West?

-the massively corrupt bureaucratic system, arising from a society where corruption is seen as normal
-the massive hidden debt
-the yawning chasm between east coast elites that we like to think represent China and the rural majority of the country
-divisive class conflict and grinding poverty even within the areas where capitalism is on the march
-an illegitimate government that offers the people of China only as much freedom as it believes will ensure its continued existence, and thus is likely unable to keep China stable in the long term
-rampant abuse by that government of its own people, much of which is hidden from the West
-a culture that does not inculcate progressive values and hence is less likely to be flexible enough to accommodate rapid change
-rising energy costs that will make the promised Western standard of living nigh-unattainable without a technological miracle
-a disastrously skewed sex ratio that is leading to a 40 million strong surplus of unattached young men, the most dangerous creatures in the world
-a somewhat less disastrously skewed age ratio
-severely degraded environment and an agricultural capacity in a state of decline
and, of course...
-the possibility of a violent confrontation with an actual superpower, which the Chinese would lose quite badly

Also, more prosaically, when you think about it, there are almost a billion Europeans, too, we're just more loosely associated.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

I have no idea that you guys are *that* insecure  ;)

Brazen

"Meat is murder. Fish is justifiable homicide."

Slargos