News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Texas Nullifies TSA

Started by jimmy olsen, May 17, 2011, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on May 17, 2011, 08:25:27 AM
I could think of far worse things to spend time on than giving a "fuck you" to TSA.  Good on them, even if it is purely symbolic.  Hopefully stunts like this would add steam to more productive endeavors, like federal legislation to curb TSA excesses.

I do agree with the notion that I'd rather have a legislature focusing on symbolic issues as opposed to focusing on real issues and fucking them up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Rasputin

It is a nullification; of course, it's violative of the supremacy clause and will be struck as unconstitional. It will be interesting to see if the feds wait for someone in texas to try to enforce it against a tsa agent (which may never happen), or whether, they'll preemptively file a lawsuit against the texas ag to have the law declared unconstitutional. A whole bunch of politics will go into how this plays out.
Who is John Galt?

Ideologue

In the absence of suit, it would possibly be conceding the issue to Texas.  I can imagine that the law would have a severe chilling effect on TSA officials' behavior in the state.  I mean, even if you, a barely high school educated professional fondler, have been assured that the law is unconstitutional, would you still risk violating it and going through the hassle of being arrested and having to defend yourself?  There's no percentage in that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Rasputin on May 17, 2011, 09:03:25 AM
It is a nullification; of course, it's violative of the supremacy clause and will be struck as unconstitional. It will be interesting to see if the feds wait for someone in texas to try to enforce it against a tsa agent (which may never happen), or whether, they'll preemptively file a lawsuit against the texas ag to have the law declared unconstitutional. A whole bunch of politics will go into how this plays out.

Could they pass a law (or enforce this one) so that they have a cop watching the security screening process, and once a TSA rep deviates at all from procedure during a search arrest him or her?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: LaCroix on May 17, 2011, 06:24:36 AM
TSA spokesman Luis Casanova said he could not comment on pending legislation. He said just 3 percent of the traveling public is subjected to pat-downs.

This is paraphrasing the TSA spokesman, so that may not be a fair representation of what he said, but I seriously doubt that 3%. I think I get some form of pat down about a quarter to a third of the time (after setting off the detectors), and viewing other screenees it doesn't seem so uncommon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"touches the anus"

How often does that happen? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 09:09:30 AM
In the absence of suit, it would possibly be conceding the issue to Texas.  I can imagine that the law would have a severe chilling effect on TSA officials' behavior in the state.  I mean, even if you, a barely high school educated professional fondler, have been assured that the law is unconstitutional, would you still risk violating it and going through the hassle of being arrested and having to defend yourself?  There's no percentage in that.

Actually seems to me the risks are on the other side - seizing a federal officer while in performance of their official duties is a serious matter. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

^Fair point.  That would take some serious nerve.

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2011, 09:22:42 AM
"touches the anus"

How did Martinus get garbon's account?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 10:54:14 AM

"touches the anus"

Martinus?
he's afraid of butt play, so i'm guessing not very often.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2011, 10:57:37 AM

"touches the anus"

Martinus?
he's afraid of butt play, so i'm guessing not very often.

Yes, that was the joke.  I'll edit it for greater clarity.
Kinemalogue

garbon

"touches the anus"

How did Martinus get garbon's account?

Except that I was more intrigued. :P

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 08:36:09 AM

They could do what we did in Missouri.  3 day weekends for school children!

:)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

I'm dissapointed, nobody got to post pic of the girl so I had to look for them myself.

I'd also pat her down with extreme rigour. I'm sure that the TSA officer that got to perform it had to fight a bunch of colleagues for the privilege.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 09:09:30 AM

Eh, just station an army platoon in each airport, and assure the TSA people that if anyone tries to arrest them for doing their jobs, the offending state officials will be terminated with extreme prejudice.  And then, if anybody does try to arrest any of the screeners, declare Texas to be in a state of rebellion and bomb the shit out of it.

Just don't explain to the screeners the concepts of "friendly fire" and "collateral damage".

OK, I'm being a bit over the top in the above, but seriously, the President should make it clear to the governor that federal law will be enforced in Texas, just like Andrew Jackson did with Calhoun during the Nullifacation Crisis.