Started by jimmy olsen, May 17, 2011, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Let the online rants begin! :w00t:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43024996/ns/travel-travel_tips/

QuoteBy Jim Forsyth and Corrie MacLaggan
Reuters
updated 5/13/2011 3:51:59 PM ET 2011-05-13T19:51:59

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas House of Representatives late on Thursday approved a bill that would make invasive pat-downs at Texas airports a crime, after a former Miss USA said she felt "molested" at the Dallas/Fort Worth airport last month.

Transportation Security Administration agents could be charged with a misdemeanor crime, face a $4,000 fine and one year in jail under the measure.

The proposal would classify any airport inspection that "touches the anus, sexual organ, buttocks, or breast of another person including through the clothing, or touches the other person in a manner that would be offensive to a reasonable person" as an offense of sexual harassment under official oppression.
Story: Former Miss USA feels 'violated' by TSA pat-down

The measure's author, Republican David Simpson, said: "Indecent groping searches when innocent travelers are seeking access to airports and public buildings would be outlawed under this bill."

The bill needs a final vote from the House before it would go to the Senate.

"This has to do with dignity in travel," Simpson said.

TSA spokesman Luis Casanova said he could not comment on pending legislation. He said just 3 percent of the traveling public is subjected to pat-downs.

TSA pat-downs have drawn some high-profile criticism, including from former Miss USA Susie Castillo, who said in a widely-viewed online video. that she felt "molested" by a pat-down at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport last month.
Story: Baby receives pat-down at Kansas City airport

The agency reviewed Castillo's incident and found that the officer followed proper procedures, said TSA assistant administrator Kristine Lee.

"We wish we lived in a world where security procedures at airports weren't necessary but that just isn't the case," Lee said in a statement.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I'm conflicted, since Texan representatives, beauty pageant winners and TSA employees are among the people I hold in the greatest contempt, so not sure which side to choose.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2011, 01:30:43 AM
I'm conflicted, since Texan representatives, beauty pageant winners and TSA employees are among the people I hold in the greatest contempt, so not sure which side to choose.

Funny how none of those people live in Poland.

Slargos

Among the people I hold in greatest contempt are poles and lawyers.

Uh oh.

Ideologue

Aren't TSA officials authorized by federal law to perform such invasive pat-downs?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 04:51:46 AM
Aren't TSA officials authorized by federal law to perform such invasive pat-downs?
Yes, that's why this is "nullification". :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

QuoteTSA spokesman Luis Casanova said he could not comment on pending legislation. He said just 3 percent of the traveling public is subjected to pat-downs.

The agency reviewed Castillo's incident and found that the officer followed proper procedures, said TSA assistant administrator Kristine Lee.

"We wish we lived in a world where security procedures at airports weren't necessary but that just isn't the case," Lee said in a statement.

:wacko:

some pr they have

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2011, 05:13:31 AM

No, this is a "feel-good" bill.  "Nullification" would be reclaiming airports as state jurisdiction; they're currently under federal law enforcement. :contract:
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 02:47:57 AM
Among the people I hold in greatest contempt are poles and lawyers.

Uh oh.
And gays.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

An interesting solution to this would be for the Federal government to disallow any flights coming into or out of Texas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2011, 05:13:31 AM
But there is no such thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 07:25:41 AM
An interesting solution to this would be for the Federal government to disallow any flights coming into or out of Texas.
A more interesting solution would be burning their major cities, disrupting the food supply, and desecrating their ancestors' bones.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

There are no greater scum than Texas representatives.

Anyway it is amazing what they are spending their time doing to avoid dealing with the 20 billion dollar budget deficit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I could think of far worse things to spend time on than giving a "fuck you" to TSA.  Good on them, even if it is purely symbolic.  Hopefully stunts like this would add steam to more productive endeavors, like federal legislation to curb TSA excesses.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2011, 08:16:40 AM

There are no greater scum than Texas representatives.

Anyway it is amazing what they are spending their time doing to avoid dealing with the 20 billion dollar budget deficit.

They could do what we did in Missouri.  3 day weekends for school children!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017