The Flintstones return to TV ... courtesy of Seth McFarlane

Started by Syt, May 17, 2011, 12:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1168551p1.html

QuoteFOX reported today that animation overlord Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, American Dad), after many years of negotiations between 20th Century Fox TV and Warner Bros Television, is rebooting The Flintstones as a TV and film property. A dream-come-true, reportedly, for MacFarlane, a mega-saurus Flintstones fan.

There was some concern from the Flintstone rights-holders regarding MacFarlane's raunchy tone and how the new Flintstones would be treated, but it seems like everything got smoothed out in the end. The new Flintstones will begin production in fall 2011 and will be set in stone on the FOX schedule in 2013

"The very first cartoon character I drew at age two was Fred Flintstone," said MacFarlane. "So it's appropriate that events have come full circle, allowing me to produce the newest incarnation of this great franchise. Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2011, 12:07:10 AM
"Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."
[/quote] :lol:

jimmy olsen

He's gonna go nuts with all those living appliances to play with it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2011, 01:29:52 AM
He's gonna go nuts with all those living appliances to play with it.

Yes, seeing 2010s tech adapted for the stone age should be interesting. It worked pretty well with the comparatively low tech 1950s/60s, but for modern tech it could either be awesome, or supersuck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

This really sounds like a terrible idea.  I don't even remember the Flintstones being particularly funny in the first place.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 17, 2011, 05:08:01 AM
This really sounds like a terrible idea. 

Almost as bad as a live action movie version.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I don't even remember the Flintstones being particularly funny in the first place.

No idea what you mean.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

What I really liked about the Flintstones was the Quebec French translation. Sadly this won't get reproduce as most of the voice actors are dead & have been for quite some time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

This really sounds like a terrible idea.  I don't even remember the Flintstones being particularly funny in the first place.

You were not there "in the first place", the initial run taking place from 1960-66  :D

I really enjoyed the show c. 1964  :cool:

Eddie Teach

It was engrossing enough when I was 8. Whether I considered it "funny" or not, I can't really say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 17, 2011, 06:31:15 AM

You were not there "in the first place", the initial run taking place from 1960-66  :D

I really enjoyed the show c. 1964  :cool:

I am eternal.

But yeah, it was fine, but it never struck me as special--maybe in its historical context it was, but a lot of things are special in their historical context but suffer greatly in hindsight and would not be considered special if they instead were created today... indeed, might well be thought embarrassing.  Consider, for example, 1951's The Day the Earth Stood Still, Green Lantern/Green Arrow's Hard Traveling Heroes, or the discography of the Captain and Teneille.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."

:ph34r:

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 17, 2011, 08:41:31 AM
I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."

:ph34r:

Don't worry. It's the premise of a million sitcoms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.