IMF Chairman Arrested for Sexual Assault by NYPD

Started by Drakken, May 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Brazen on July 01, 2011, 05:06:53 AM
As reported by a friend in France:
QuoteJust saw that the woman who accused Strauss-Kahn of raping her is known to have lied on her asylum application and to have links with money laundering and organised crime....ooops! Prosecution says it needs to talk to the judge asap. Given that this man is, or was, the main contender to run against Sarkozy, France is watching all this like a hawk. If it DOES turn out to be ill-founded, it will be quite a blot on the escutcheon of US justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escutcheon

Quote from: WikipediaEscutcheon may refer to:

* Escutcheon (heraldry), a shield or shield-shaped emblem, displaying a coat of arms
    * Escutcheon (furniture), an item of door furniture that surrounds a keyhole or lock cylinder
    * a decorative plate that surrounds a faucet in a bathtub or shower
    * (in medicine) the distribution of pubic hair
    * (in veterinary medicine) the shield-like pattern of distribution of the haircoat in the area below the vulva, down to the top of the udder, in the cow
    * a plate on the stern of a ship inscribed with the ship's name

I wonder which one they mean?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: sbr on July 01, 2011, 06:10:11 PM
Quote from: Brazen on July 01, 2011, 05:06:53 AM
As reported by a friend in France:
QuoteJust saw that the woman who accused Strauss-Kahn of raping her is known to have lied on her asylum application and to have links with money laundering and organised crime....ooops! Prosecution says it needs to talk to the judge asap. Given that this man is, or was, the main contender to run against Sarkozy, France is watching all this like a hawk. If it DOES turn out to be ill-founded, it will be quite a blot on the escutcheon of US justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escutcheon

Quote from: WikipediaEscutcheon may refer to:

* Escutcheon (heraldry), a shield or shield-shaped emblem, displaying a coat of arms
    * Escutcheon (furniture), an item of door furniture that surrounds a keyhole or lock cylinder
    * a decorative plate that surrounds a faucet in a bathtub or shower
    * (in medicine) the distribution of pubic hair
    * (in veterinary medicine) the shield-like pattern of distribution of the haircoat in the area below the vulva, down to the top of the udder, in the cow
    * a plate on the stern of a ship inscribed with the ship's name

I wonder which one they mean?

I like #4 the best, so I'm going with that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I suppose the lesson here is not to use a word in the the Thesaurus unless you actually know what it means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2011, 07:31:56 PM
I suppose the lesson here is not to use a word in the the Thesaurus unless you actually know what it means.
The phrase "blot on [one's] escutcheon" has a clear meaning. 
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/a+blot+on+%28one%27s%29+escutcheon
Idiom:
a blot on (one's) escutcheon
Dishonor to one's reputation.

I suppose the lesson here is that you shouldn't assume that it is the other person who is ignorant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

And I thought it had to do with pubic hair.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017