IMF Chairman Arrested for Sexual Assault by NYPD

Started by Drakken, May 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Berkut on May 25, 2011, 02:37:11 PM
Huh. You could not blame the woman or her family for taking a pay-off, even if it would be a travesty of justice.

A million dollars to shut up and make this go away, for a family in utter poverty? Seems like a no brainer to me...

Couldn't prosecutors continue the case? They have DNA evidence, and they could subpoena her, right?
Perhaps he'll bribe her family, but still get prosecuted and sent to jail. Then everybody wins! :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

Well, I guess her family wins anyway, since the civil settlement will be a giant pile of cash anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Huh. You could not blame the woman or her family for taking a pay-off, even if it would be a travesty of justice.

A million dollars to shut up and make this go away, for a family in utter poverty? Seems like a no brainer to me...

What is interesting to me is the intrade results were 86% of a conviction. It would seem right now that this is a he said / she said, and of course the potential for a buy off is always there. Either the "market" is totally out of whack, or someone knows something.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Are you implying that 86% is a low number?  I would think that when it comes to rich men with rich lawyers, 86% is pretty good.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2011, 03:44:37 PM
Are you implying that 86% is a low number?  I would think that when it comes to rich men with rich lawyers, 86% is pretty good.

I think it is extremely high.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 03:36:34 PM

What is interesting to me is the intrade results were 86% of a conviction. It would seem right now that this is a he said / she said, and of course the potential for a buy off is always there. Either the "market" is totally out of whack, or someone knows something.

Well, allegedly there is leaked DNA evidence. That changes the odds.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 03:47:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2011, 03:44:37 PM

I think it is extremely high.
Never mind, I read your post the wrong way.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on May 25, 2011, 03:49:39 PM

I'm not following the blow by blows here, but if the defense is that this was a consensual encounter, DNA evidence may not mean much. Hell, and I'm not admitting anything, but it may be possible to find DNA evidence of me in some rooms I stayed in, even without a woman ever being present.  :blush:

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 03:57:43 PM

I'm not following the blow by blows here, but if the defense is that this was a consensual encounter, DNA evidence may not mean much. Hell, and I'm not admitting anything, but it may be possible to find DNA evidence of me in some rooms I stayed in, even without a woman ever being present.  :blush:

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on May 25, 2011, 03:58:21 PM

I don't follow.

You know, hair might fall out when I comb, or I might cut my self shaving... :ph34r:

Malthus

Without the DNA evidence, there would be the possibility that the event never happened.

I suppose his version of events could make sense, if he could prove she was a hustler on the side ... but really, aside from pay-for-play, it's gonna be hard to get a jury to buy that a youngish working hotel maid was overcome with instant lust at the sight of this guy, and in the spot agreed to a vigorous mouth-fucking.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Rumour has it that the "DNA evidence" was from semen on the maid's outfit and on the carpet. A bit hard to explain.  ;)

The Minsky Moment

Of all criminal cases that went to trial in the Manhattan DA's office from 1999-2008, the rate of conviction was about 61 percent.

Note that the vast majority of cases tend to be pled out before trial.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 04:00:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 25, 2011, 03:58:21 PM

I don't follow.

You know, hair might fall out when I comb, or I might cut my self shaving... :ph34r:

... you might splooge on the maid ... you know, the usual.  :D

stjaba

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 25, 2011, 04:19:41 PM
Of all criminal cases that went to trial in the Manhattan DA's office from 1999-2008, the rate of conviction was about 61 percent.

Note that the vast majority of cases tend to be pled out before trial.

That seems relatively low, compared to the federal level of conviction. Then again, AUSA's have discretion to take cases that DA's probably don't.