News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Semaphore Towers

Started by jimmy olsen, May 13, 2011, 10:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 15, 2011, 01:16:06 PM
Not really no. There's plenty of strong prevailing winds all over the previous territories of the Roman Empire.
And we don't know that they didn't use some kind of windmill in those areas of the empire.  It seems a logical extension of the sails that people were using on their ships.  In Rome and Italy, where the historians tended to live, not so much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I believe some windmills have been built in the Mediterranean.  Another example is the wheelbarrow.  There's not much evidence of Wheelbarrows in Rome.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza2

Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2011, 04:00:39 PM
I believe some windmills have been built in the Mediterranean.  Another example is the wheelbarrow.  There's not much evidence of Wheelbarrows in Rome.
They only had wheelbarrows in some parts of Ethiopia when I was there last year. I wondered what the reason for that might be. In other regions they carried 20-30 liter canisters of water on their backs for kilometers each day.

Wheelbarrows like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ngari/4405137094/

Viking

Economic and biological reasons are the best reasons behind the great stirrup controversy and the wheelbarrow issue.

Regarding the stirrups, they are not as useful as they might appear. Modern day experimental archeology has pretty much settled the issue of the usefulness of stirrups. They do not improve performance in fighting except with the use of sword and/or mace from a stationary or slow moving horse. Stirrups were not used even by Cataphracts. In all likelyhood they became popular as large warhorses started being bred. I think the best explanation for why stirrups were not used at earlier times is that stirrups require a certain kind of saddle. You need the solid saddle to make use of the stirrup and the stirrup isn't of any use unless you have the large horse. It makes perfect sense to me that stirrups don't get invented until the time when the right kind of horses exist. The ancients were not stupid.

Regarding wheelbarrows, they seem to not have spread like wildfire after they were "re-invented" in the middle ages. Wheelbarrows existed in the far east and quite possible in ancient greece as well. A better explanation might be that certain economic conditions are required for wheelbarrows to be built and used. The ancients were not stupid.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Wheel barrows are a faff, and they don't let you carry all that much more.
Hell. Why bother with a wheel barrow at all if you have a pull/animal drawn cart?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 15, 2011, 06:26:18 PM
Wheel barrows are a faff, and they don't let you carry all that much more.
WTF, could you sound any gayer? You make Marty sound like the paragon of heteronormative behavior.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2011, 07:16:23 PM
WTF, could you sound any gayer? You make Marty sound like the paragon of heteronormative behavior.

How's that.  A man who can carry a wheelbarrow load in his arms is a big brawny manly man.

Viking: where'd you get that about the useless stirrups?  Everything I've read (and I've read it countless times) is that the stirrup is what changed cavalry from nancy boys who pranced around and slapped people with their swords to knights couching their lances and charging home.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2011, 07:35:44 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2011, 07:16:23 PM

How's that.  A man who can carry a wheelbarrow load in his arms is a big brawny manly man.

Anyone who uses faff in a sentence should be drug out into the street and shot! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2011, 07:51:39 PM
Anyone who uses faff in a sentence should be drug out into the street and shot! :angry:

I'd like to see you try.  Dude's got gigantic superpowered chav arms.  Arms genetically adapted for wrenching coal from bedrock 16 hours a day.

Siege

The horned saddle could probably keep a knight stabilized when charging home.
The question remains though, since we know the ancients knew how to built mail armor, why didn't the heavy cavalryman appeared earlier than it did.

It should be also noted that in the military not always what its better is embraced as it should. Culture plays a big role and sometimes it takes a major defeat, or a major victory, to make people accept and utilize new gear. And new gear by itself doens't add much. New tactics have to come with it.

I wonder how long it took for the newly minted Heavy Cavalry to change from charging with their lances overarm, to couching their lances underarm.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Viking: where'd you get that about the useless stirrups?  Everything I've read (and I've read it countless times) is that the stirrup is what changed cavalry from nancy boys who pranced around and slapped people with their swords to knights couching their lances and charging home.
Plus, the argument that "are not as useful as they might appear" could only come from someone who has never actually ridden a horse!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2011, 08:38:10 PM
Plus, the argument that "are not as useful as they might appear" could only come from someone who has never actually ridden a horse!  :lol:

Yeah. I can only imagine a knight in full battlerattle trying to mount a destrier without stirrup.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Sounds like something Dr. Seuss would use.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2011, 06:02:55 PM
Economic and biological reasons are the best reasons behind the great stirrup controversy and the wheelbarrow issue.

Regarding the stirrups, they are not as useful as they might appear. Modern day experimental archeology has pretty much settled the issue of the usefulness of stirrups. They do not improve performance in fighting except with the use of sword and/or mace from a stationary or slow moving horse. Stirrups were not used even by Cataphracts. In all likelyhood they became popular as large warhorses started being bred. I think the best explanation for why stirrups were not used at earlier times is that stirrups require a certain kind of saddle. You need the solid saddle to make use of the stirrup and the stirrup isn't of any use unless you have the large horse. It makes perfect sense to me that stirrups don't get invented until the time when the right kind of horses exist. The ancients were not stupid.

Regarding wheelbarrows, they seem to not have spread like wildfire after they were "re-invented" in the middle ages. Wheelbarrows existed in the far east and quite possible in ancient greece as well. A better explanation might be that certain economic conditions are required for wheelbarrows to be built and used. The ancients were not stupid.

There really isn't any evidence of wheelbarrows used in in ancient Greece, and they are certainly handy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2011, 09:31:29 PM

Sounds like something Dr. Seuss would use.
As a nonsense word in a story.

1 Karma Chameleon point