News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Semaphore Towers

Started by jimmy olsen, May 13, 2011, 10:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Is there a technical reason they weren't invented until the French Revolution? They seem quite simple to me, but maybe I'm missing something. :unsure:
Is it just one of those things like the stirrup that looks obvious in hindsight and could have been invented and put into use a thousand years earlier?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_line
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Where is the link to the news article where you learned about Semaphore Towers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on May 14, 2011, 12:43:36 AM
Where is the link to the news article where you learned about Semaphore Towers
I don't read 18th century French newspapers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Centralisation and the power of nation-states are the big issues.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I don't see any big reason why the Romans couldn't have done it, had it been invented back then. But of course, even if it was in fact invented back then big infrastructure projects don't just happen and semaphores are far from perfect. It's not one of those things that get employed automatically just because it's invented.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2011, 03:09:21 AM
Someone on another forum mentioned that you really need the telescope for this, otherwise you just have to build and man too many towers.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jamesww

Yeah thinking about it Newtonian physics was pretty obvious.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jamesww on May 14, 2011, 06:05:21 AM

When Tim strikes you with his cane he can blame gravity.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: jamesww on May 14, 2011, 06:05:21 AM
Indeed it was, and physics was understood empirically for millennia before Newton formulated (or invented) the math necessary to quantify it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Sometimes, simple ideas don't occur to people.  Romans didn't have windmills.  There was no material reason why this should be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2011, 10:42:52 AM
Sometimes, simple ideas don't occur to people.  Romans didn't have windmills.  There was no material reason why this should be.
I suspect the Romans and earlier peoples didn't use them because they didn't have strong prevailing winds like those of the Middle East, which allowed fixed-direction windmills.

You are right, but the stirrup probably remains the better example of your argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 14, 2011, 03:52:31 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2011, 03:09:21 AM
Someone on another forum mentioned that you really need the telescope for this, otherwise you just have to build and man too many towers.
Yeah, that's a biggy. Was a few centuries of telescoping before they emerged though.

There was one cool similar system I read about which was used in 19th century Japan, rather than having big permanent towers they instead had men stationed on mountains waving flags to send messages (rice prices) from Tokyo to Osaka (IIRC). Strange something like that which doesn't require so big an initial investment wouldn't have popped up elsewhere.
The closest we get is beacon systems. For emergencies only.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2011, 05:08:19 PM

Not necessarily, just a bit unwieldy. "Wouldst thou cyber?"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on May 14, 2011, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2011, 05:08:19 PM

Not necessarily, just a bit unwieldy. "Wouldst thou cyber?"
:lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 05:04:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2011, 10:42:52 AM
I suspect the Romans and earlier peoples didn't use them because they didn't have strong prevailing winds like those of the Middle East, which allowed fixed-direction windmills.

You are right, but the stirrup probably remains the better example of your argument.

Not really no. There's plenty of strong prevailing winds all over the previous territories of the Roman Empire.