News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Best Sci-Fi Film Never Made

Started by jamesww, May 11, 2011, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 14, 2011, 04:06:26 AM
And a Honor Harrington novel being turned into a movie wouldn't have to cut much out, as just dispensing of the pages that deal with explaining "weapon system X" or "societal/political tangent Y" would compress them nicely.  :P
Indeed, since you would be showing, one wouldn't have to tell.

QuoteThough a six-legged cat could awkward, special-effects wise.
Six-legged cat could into space.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zeus

Aren't they making Ender's Game into a motion picture? Isn't Card writing the screen play?

Best book up there imo.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

grumbler

Quote from: Zeus on May 14, 2011, 02:46:38 PM
Aren't they making Ender's Game into a motion picture? Isn't Card writing the screen play?

Best book up there imo.
Great.  More fucking emo teens.  And we thought fucking emo teen vampires and werewolves were bad!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jamesww

What surprises me about the poll I posted was how small the 'long tail' was; huge numbers of votes for Iain M.Banks, but classic British sci-fi authors like Brian Aldiss don't appear to have gotten into the top 50 or more than a handful of votes.

edit:
I should point out that 'The Register' is a British based IT website, but with a strong US following, still odd that recent British sci-fi authors like Christopher Priest, who has had one of his books filmed, also doesn't get a look in.

Slargos

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 04:57:47 PM

Best book up there imo.
Great.  More fucking emo teens.  And we thought fucking emo teen vampires and werewolves were bad!  :lol:

Ender's Game is about children, not teens.

While an entertaining book, it's not nearly as thought-provoking as The Mote in God's Eye(and probably several others on the list that I haven't read).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 14, 2011, 08:36:43 PM

Best book up there imo.

If it ever gets made, the film version of the characters will probably be in the 17-19 year old age range, played by actors aged between 25  and 35.

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 14, 2011, 08:36:43 PM

Best book up there imo.

While an entertaining book, it's not nearly as thought-provoking as The Mote in God's Eye(and probably several others on the list that I haven't read).

It appears the Halo story copied a lot from Larry Niven's work.
The moties are divided in the same castes that form the diferent races of the Covenant.
Not to mention the Halo seems to be inspired by "Ringworld".

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 15, 2011, 09:08:11 PM
Only the shape, really.  The Ringworld is far, far larger and much more simple than the Halos.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2011, 09:14:54 PM
Only the shape, really.  The Ringworld is far, far larger and much more simple than the Halos.

Have you read any of the Halo novels?

They have exctly all the castes the Moties have.
Only they are diferent alien races asimilated by the Covenant.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 16, 2011, 04:34:45 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2011, 09:14:54 PM
Have you read any of the Halo novels?

They have exctly all the castes the Moties have.
Only they are diferent alien races asimilated by the Covenant.
Of course I haven't.  Reading fiction isn't really my thing for the most part, but were I to do so, novels based on first-person-shooters wouldn't be my choice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.